Did Anyone's XBMC Just Change On It's Own Overnight?
I woke up this morning and all of the sudden it seems as if I lost my settings. My skin is back to default settings, my remote doesn't work during playback. Has this happened to anyone before? Now it is crashing when trying to play movies/shows, seemingly at random.

XBMC (11.0 Git:20120321-14feb09), Platform: Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F455)). Built on Mar 21 2012
apt-get (followed wiki install instructions)

xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/zdZuqza4
syslog: http://pastebin.com/yA5Td0w2

all files are hosted on my Synology via NFS & all hardwired through a switch
looks like aeon nox pushed an update lastnight... will move this post
Mine did the same thing. I was really surprised to see my skin updated all by itself. Guess it's a new Eden feature I wasn't aware of.

I'm having a few issues with the update as well. The skin used to be really snappy, now it's pretty slow. It's a real bummer.
(2012-05-24, 23:43)Zipp425 Wrote: Mine did the same thing. I was really surprised to see my skin updated all by itself. Guess it's a new Eden feature I wasn't aware of.

I'm having a few issues with the update as well. The skin used to be really snappy, now it's pretty slow. It's a real bummer.

i was able to roll back to 2.0 and everything is back to normal
Yes. I am totally screwed. ALL of my settings are gone. I even did a roll back and ALL of my custom menu settings are gone still. In addition to that, my audio is just totally destroyed. Everyone sounds like chipmonks. This is awesome, thanks XBMC! Now I get to stay up all night trying to get everything working!
(2012-05-25, 03:27)af32af Wrote: Yes. I am totally screwed. ALL of my settings are gone. I even did a roll back and ALL of my custom menu settings are gone still. In addition to that, my audio is just totally destroyed. Everyone sounds like chipmonks. This is awesome, thanks XBMC! Now I get to stay up all night trying to get everything working!

then you didn´t do a rollback properly, please ask before crying.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
To be honest, I don't think many actually knew it would auto update.
That normal add-ons auto update fine, but one does not expect the whole skin/GUI to update automatically without even asking. Even without local modifications, it still overwrites ALL settings you have made.

I had not done any local modifications (besides settings), but the loss of settings and the fact that the skin update did bring on some bugs that I didn't really ask for, which is enough for me to get annoyed enough. I can't even start to imagine the annoyance of those who made local modifications :/

If you ask me, allowing the skin to auto-update was a mistake. I don't know how the auto-updater work, but they should have changed some version or identifier in such a way that the auto-update would not "pick it up". I don't think many would have minded a manual update/installation of the new version, not even those without local modifications.

Now, I am in absolutely no way trying to diminuish the work or effort of the people involved here, the work done is amazing and really deserves an eloge. Everyone works with the gratitude of the users and the sense of accomplishment as payment and that deserves respect. With this said, one tends to be more tolerant, but I do believe that certain things still do warrant a firmly voiced opinion Wink

Thanks again for the work and this release! Smile
(2012-05-26, 06:07)phunqe Wrote: To be honest, I don't think many actually knew it would auto update.
That normal add-ons auto update fine, but one does not expect the whole skin/GUI to update automatically without even asking. Even without local modifications, it still overwrites ALL settings you have made.
no, it doesn´t overwrite. rollback restores the old settings.
(2012-05-26, 06:07)phunqe Wrote: I had not done any local modifications (besides settings), but the loss of settings and the fact that the skin update did bring on some bugs that I didn't really ask for, which is enough for me to get annoyed enough. I can't even start to imagine the annoyance of those who made local modifications :/
this would happen for any upgrade, also for bugfix upgrades like a 2.0.1. local modifications will always be overwritten, people who go that far have to take that in mind.
(2012-05-26, 06:07)phunqe Wrote: If you ask me, allowing the skin to auto-update was a mistake. I don't know how the auto-updater work, but they should have changed some version or identifier in such a way that the auto-update would not "pick it up". I don't think many would have minded a manual update/installation of the new version, not even those without local modifications.
we think it should overwrite the old one because it´s the only one which gets supported in the future. if you want to change to an unsupported version, just use the rollback setting (that´s what this function is made for).
talks about updating behaviour are going on inside the xbmc team atm so things will probably become more intuitive with 12.0
(2012-05-26, 06:07)phunqe Wrote: Now, I am in absolutely no way trying to diminuish the work or effort of the people involved here, the work done is amazing and really deserves an eloge. Everyone works with the gratitude of the users and the sense of accomplishment as payment and that deserves respect. With this said, one tends to be more tolerant, but I do believe that certain things still do warrant a firmly voiced opinion.

Thanks again for the work and this release! Smile
constructive critizism is always welcome. i hope i could explain everything.

Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Thanks phil65 Smile

It was suggested in another part of the forum that those who mod the skin locally should by default change the skin id, so auto updates are not applied.

As for settings made within the menus of the skin, it would have been nice if any applicable setting was carried over. I can understand this is hard if a lot changes however, especially beetween major versions.

I this case all together I think just a warning before the update would have sufficed and I think any issues that did follow the update would have been accepted, if people could have done the necessary arrangements. One can debate the necessity of backups and RTFM obviously, but unfortunately you cannot just change a few lines of codes in the user's behaviour and fix "the bug" :p It's about compromises Smile
I would guess this has to be supported in XBMC itself however.
(2012-05-26, 13:00)phunqe Wrote: Thanks phil65 Smile

It was suggested in another part of the forum that those who mod the skin locally should by default change the skin id, so auto updates are not applied.
yes, that´s the way to go.
(2012-05-26, 13:00)phunqe Wrote: As for settings made within the menus of the skin, it would have been nice if any applicable setting was carried over. I can understand this is hard if a lot changes however, especially beetween major versions.
it´s not hard, it´s almost impossible.
(2012-05-26, 13:00)phunqe Wrote: I this case all together I think just a warning before the update would have sufficed and I think any issues that did follow the update would have been accepted, if people could have done the necessary arrangements. One can debate the necessity of backups and RTFM obviously, but unfortunately you cannot just change a few lines of codes in the user's behaviour and fix "the bug" :p It's about compromises Smile
I would guess this has to be supported in XBMC itself however.
correct. we have no influence on updating behaviour.

Same thing happened to me and was quite surprised. I had to redo all my settings but wasn't a big deal as I changed it up a little at the same time. I like the new look and it seems responsive on my system. Although I was not aware of this rollback option.
Desktop / Media Server: Win10 x64, ThermalTake Commander G42 case, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX750, CM M 1000w, 8GB GSkill, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120GB, 2x WD Black 1TB RAID 1, WD 6TB + WD 4TB spanned, single 3TB

Intel NUC with Openelec in TV room.
Thumbs Down 
Removed by poster
Use rollback function for addons!
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2012-08-04, 00:01)angelx198131 Wrote: Sad Im really upset with the new version of Aeon!!! I can't do anything and it doesn't seperate the seasons of my TV series!!

then come over to our subforum and explain your problem in detail instead of crying around.
(2012-08-04, 00:06)phil65 Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 00:01)angelx198131 Wrote: Sad Im really upset with the new version of Aeon!!! I can't do anything and it doesn't seperate the seasons of my TV series!!

then come over to our subforum and explain your problem in detail instead of crying around.

That might be even a better approach Wink
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Did Anyone's XBMC Just Change On It's Own Overnight?0