Love XBMC, hate the release cycle.
First of, i really like XBMC, and am great full for all the hard work. Image Image Image

I am just not a real fan of the yearly release cycle.

Properly from a developer standpoint it properly makes a lot of sense to have a 1 year release cycle, from a end user standpoint not so mouths.
As you guys know how to code its easy for you to integrate a fix or a new option, in your own stable build for daily use.

We poor ;-) end users sometimes have to wait a hole year on something really cool, just because it did not make the deadline.

But would a other release cycle not be a lot handier for end users, but i think maybe even also for developers.

Nightly builds: Alpha release (same as now)
Monthly builds: Beta release (reasonably stable, so you get more Beta testers)
Quarterly builds: RC release (maybe a good option for people that don't mind minor bugs and still want the latest developments)
Quarterly builds: Final release

Coders would see there code earlier used, and users would have the latest developments.

Would that not be a win win?

Or is there a good reason for the yearly release cycle that i don't see.
(2012-06-05, 10:05)player-x Wrote: Nightly builds: Alpha release (same as now)
These aren't alpha's

Quote:Monthly builds: Beta release (reasonably stable, so you get more Beta testers)
This is already done
These are the alpha releases

Quote:Quarterly builds: RC release (maybe a good option for people that don't mind minor bugs and still want the latest developments)
Quarterly builds: Final release
This would mean cherry picking the least bug sensitive code and would cost a lot of work to achieve this.

Quote:Coders would see there code earlier used, and users would have the latest developments.

Would that not be a win win?

Or is there a good reason for the yearly release cycle that i don't see.

It was planned to release more often. This is still WIP
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Love XBMC, hate the release cycle.0