HDMI with no sound
I'm running a Dell with an NVidia GeForce 210 in the PCIe slot that has HDMI output. Unfortunately, I can't get any sound via the HDMI being output directly to my Samsung TV. XBMCbuntu Eden

I have audio output set to HDMI
Audio output device to HDA NVidia - hdmi - 3 (ALSA)
Passthrough output device: HDA NVidia - hdmi - 3 (ALSA)

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting ideas/solutions.

try running alsamixer and unmute "SPDIF 1".
I was able to run alsamixer and SPDIF 1 was muted, so I un-muted it.

However, the error I'm seeing (Not sure if I saw it before) is "Unable to initialize sound device." This happens on music and movies.

I've also disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS in order to make sure that there's no confusion.

Thanks again!

after you disabled on-board sound, what's your aplay -l and aplay -L output looks like?
Pretty lengthy output. What am I looking for? I'm getting a lot of "Direct hardware device without any conversions" and "Hardware device with all software conversions." On -L it's all HDA NVidia, HDMI 0

On -l it shows it as card 0: Nvidia [HDA NVidia], device 3, 7, 8, and 9.
I was able to get rid of the "Unable to initialize sound device" error by unmuting everything alsamixer and then switching the device to NVidia - HDMI - 3. I can play stuff now and not get the error.

However, there's still no sound coming out...

you already tried cycle through all the other hdmi options under audio output device?
Yeah, I've tried the other devices and I get the "Unable to initialize sound device" error. The only one that works is the HDMI - 3. I've also tried setting the output to analog (In case my card didn't support hdmi sound), but that got me the same error.
How about trying this?

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...e_Easy_Way
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I'm able to set it to custom and do the plughw:0,3 and I don't get an error, but not getting sound.

Hmm try use speaker-test in a shell to see if anything comes out.
From your aplay -L output for lines that have hdmi:blah like hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0, try using each of them with speaker-test to see if any sounds come out

Code:
speaker-test -Dhdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -c 2
Playback device is hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Playback open error: -16, device or resource busy

atomicspin you have to stop xbmc first before you run speaker-test.
do like a "sudo killall xbmc" then run speaker-test again through the possible hdmi options you have.
Okay! I'm getting static sounds through the speakers, which is better than before when I do speaker-test -Dhdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -c 2

Now, how do I get XBMC to do work with it?

Well then if DEV=0 works, try to see if this works

Audio Output Type: HDMI
Speaker Config: 2.0
Dolby Digital: Yes
DTS: No? (for your tv)
Audio Device: Custom
Custom: hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
Passthrough Audio Device: Custom
Custom: hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI with no sound0