Xbmcbuntu not networking
Was using XBMC through windows 7 on my HTPC
got sick of all the issues windows was causing (login issue and such)
so i wiped the HTPC and installed XBMCbuntu
now im not able to connect to my network however
Windows firewall is off, password sharing is off
all my media is on my windows 7 main PC
The error i get is "Error 2 Share Not Available"

what am i doing wrong?
i tried going into ubuntu and editing my network settings
it looked like it wasn't connecting automatically even though the Ethernet is plugged in
i configured manually and it said it connected
tried loading a web page and it wouldn't load
went into xbmc and still get same error
really need to get this working, i installed xbmcbuntu to get around a few annoying things, and ended up with a useless machine that cant access a single video
Are you able to ping your router's IP address (usually 192.168.1.1) from your PC? If not, try the following:
  • Ensure the Ethernet cable is clicked-in securely on the back of your PC and on the router/switch ends
  • Swapping Ethernet cables
  • Plugging your PC to a different port on your router/switch
With Ubuntu, you typically shouldn't need to do any tweaking to get a hard-wired network connection.
the cable is not the issue, i used the same cable 2 hours ago when the HTPC had windows 7 on it and it worked fine
everything is plugged in completely as i just had it running earlier today

tried going to my router from ubuntu and it says not availible
so assuming its not a cable issue (because its not)
and assuming its not a router issues (because its not)
that leaves what?

my only guess would be that the many drivers linux has dont cover my model, atleast not for the LAN
im using an ASrock A75M-ITX
the disk it came with is windows only, and their website only lists windows drivers
what else can i do?
(2012-06-26, 00:25)RaveApex Wrote: the cable is not the issue, i used the same cable 2 hours ago when the HTPC had windows 7 on it and it worked fine
everything is plugged in completely as i just had it running earlier today

When something significant happens to our system (like changing an OS), sometimes you need to reset your router so that it can properly "shake hands" with it. I realize the mac address should be the end-all-be-all (and this shouldn't have changed), but I'm just speaking from experience. Make sure you unplug power from the router, then unplug/replug ethernet to the device.

Also, I've gotten the same error when working within XBMCLive/XBMCbuntu for years now on the system that uses wireless, and the solution is always to go to Settings > Network Settings > SMB Client and click WINS Server. Once the window comes up, just press done. Restart.

I doubt this will work in your case, though, since you're having a general internet problem.

no change
if i use auto Ethernet it wont connect and i get a little pop up in the top right of ubuntu saying wired connection is not connected
if i enter everything manually from what i see in my routers page then it says it connects but i get no internet or video sharing
i dont even need internet access i just want my videos
im close to just giving up on XBMCbuntu and going back to windows 7
(2012-06-26, 00:25)RaveApex Wrote: my only guess would be that the many drivers linux has dont cover my model, atleast not for the LAN
im using an ASrock A75M-ITX
Thanks for providing your motherboard make/model. That board uses a Realtek RTL8111E network adapter. A quick Google search reveals that, as you surmised, there are problems with Ubuntu support for this adapter. Apparently, the problem has been corrected in Ubuntu 12.04, but if you don't want to wait for the next XBMCbuntu version (which is based on 12.04), you can look here for instructions on how to download an updated driver and compile it. Be sure to read all the comments too on that page.

Another option is to install Ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC yourself instead of XBMCbuntu.

This is strange, lots of ppl are using A75M-ITX mb, mine works fine with xbmcbuntu 11.0 (though I've since moved to 12.04).
trying to update manually, that page is VERY confusing for someone not used to ubuntu
can you please explain
i downloaded it on my main PC
extracted it and brought it over to my HTPC, i have no idea what im supposed to do next

RaveApex,
Instead of updating it might be easier to just use the iso provided here and reinstall

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134252
Thank you!
im am downloading it now
ill try that and update here if i have more problems
Don't pre-extract the file. Just copy the downloaded *.bz2 file from your main PC to your home directory on your HTPC.

You'll need to launch a terminal session on your HTPC and enter the commands shown in the "white boxes". Each line shown in the "white boxes" is a separate command and each command begins with the purple text. Some of the commands exceed the width of the "white box", so be sure to scroll to the right to see the entire command. Pay attention to the spaces between the various command parameters (it is important that you enter the commands exactly has shown). For the commands containing `uname -r`, be sure you enter the back-tick character (the key located to the left of 1 on the keyboard) rather than an apostrophe.

To avoid the pain of trying to manually type these commands without error, you may want to do the following:
  1. On your main PC, display the webpage above
  2. Launch a simple text editor such as Notepad
  3. Copy each line from the "white boxes" on the webpage and paste it to your text editor. Be sure to copy the entire line for the commands that exceed the width of the box (i.e., scroll right). Be sure to leave out the leading "$" on each line -- that just indicates the command prompt and is not part of the command itself.
  4. Save your text document to a thumbdrive
  5. Move the thumbdrive to your HTPC and open it in Ubuntu (i.e., the XBMCbuntu desktop) using the text editor (you may be able to simply double-click on the file name in the file manager to open it automatically with the text editor).
  6. Assuming you've already copied over the intact *.bz2 file, launch a terminal session
  7. Copy the first command from the text document (the one starting with tar) and paste it on the command line of your terminal session.
  8. Press ENTER and allow the command to execute and complete. You'll know it's done when your command prompt is redisplayed.
  9. Repeat the copy-and-paste procedure for each of the remaining commands.
(2012-06-26, 02:09)RaveApex Wrote: Thank you!
im am downloading it now
ill try that and update here if i have more problems
That's probably a better route to follow for now. Even though the code is alpha and may contain a lot of bugs, at least you'll have the benefit of the new network adapter driver with Ubuntu 12.04 to verify if this resolves your network issue. And if it does work, then you can evaluate how you want to proceed from there: stay with the bleeding edge XBMCbuntu 12.04; go back to the stable XBMC version and update the driver yourself; install Ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC manually, etc.
i installed the new XBMCbuntu Alpha and its working great
all except the iphone remote app doesn't work well with it lol
Hey, that's great! Now, you can be an alpha tester for the next version of XBMCbuntu! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu not networking0