OS X Slow skin performance on Frodo nightlies
I've tested few Frodo nightly builds over the last few weeks and in every build some of movie views in Confluence, and other skins are unusable. Using the thumbnail view in Confluence and quickly moving between items the FPS dives to 2-3 fps. All the movie views are slower than in Eden as well. Turning on debug logging i can see that CPU-XBMC usage is well over 100%, might be as high as 190% when using thumbnail view.

TV show library navigation is snappy and i cannot see any slowdown.

Tried Quartz skin also, icons view (comparable to Confluence's thumbnail view is as slow. TV shows are again snappy in Quartz.

Tried dirty region tweaks, didn't help.

I have tested with two setups:

OSX versions 10.7.4 and 10.6.8
Macbook 2009 and Mac mini 2010
xbmc-20120626-0f03f47-master-i386
Debug log I went to movie library, browsed using thumbnail view first, then tried 2 other movie views. Then went to TV shows. Log was captured from a fresh XBMC installation. I only added SMB source for movies and tvshows and scanned them into the library and turned on debug logging.
Both hardware setups have Core 2 Duo processors, 4 or 8GB of memory and SSD drives.
Using local sqlite database and local thumbnails and fan art.
try limit the thumbloader threads via advancedsettings to 4, 2 or 1 and see if this makes things any better for you...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That won't do anything - we use only a single thread for the thumbloader anyway.

It's most likely due to the size of the images - we haven't yet hooked up the sizing. Though that wouldn't explain the 190% CPU usage. Once art is loaded it should be quite a bit less than that!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall - mhh i experience crashing too when i just scroll through lists very fast on low-mem devices. I thought it was due to the offloading of the thumbloader into threads. Then this wouldn't be the cause you mean? I can reproduce that since the thumbcache refactor.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Same here hade to go back to Eden. Aeon and Confluence was hopeless to navigate in Frodo Sad
I shot a short and grainy video of this issue. I was using Harmony remote so i couldn't send the key presses as fast as i wanted so the fps is much higher here than it is when keyboard is used.

Advancedsettings used:

<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgkQWj5wZ7c
Again, the problem is you have 1.5MP art being loaded. Reduce the size of the images, or wait until my changes in this regard are in.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

You are right, of course. There are only dozen or so images where the file size is greater than 1MB though. But the poster and actor thumb sizes are huge (200kb-1MB) and that seems to be the issue.

Now i can either resize them or wait for your fixes, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow skin performance on Frodo nightlies0