Wiring house question
Hey guys, I just bought my first home and have a few questions. I just ordered Verizon Quantum which is a 75MBs / 35MBs service. The house I bought is mostly re-done but they contractors did not run any coaxial cable. I was wondering what type of cable you guys would recommend I run through the walls. it will be 1 TV in the basement, 1 in living room, and 3 upstairs in the bedrooms. I've found some on Amazon but not sure which would be best. I see they have Digital coaxial and I assume a regular one? Shielding with a metal braiding or not. I'll be fine running the cables as I have done that before but want to know a good cable to buy, preferably in a bulk order. Not sure how much feet I'll be needing.

Thanks, Ryan.
HTPC: ASRock B75M-ITX LGA | Intel i-3 3.3GHZ | 4GB | Samsung SSD + WD 2TB x2
Ethernet for data going to a central gigabit switch near your router. RG-6 for coax.
Ok thanks, wont be wiring for data yet, just RG6 for coax. House will have to be wireless internet for now.

Do you think this would be ok?

"Mediabridge - Triple Shielded Coaxial Digital Audio Video Cable (100 Feet) F-Pin to F-Pin w/ Easy Grip Connector Caps"

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Shield...dia+bridge

Figuring I'll need 3-4 rolls, will be dropping most of it from attic to third floor.
That cable will work fine. Are you terminating those cables to the back of a wall plate, or just sending them through a hole in the wall?

Monoprice.com has cables for a bit cheaper, but will not be free shipping. It's still a fun site to look around though!
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
wireless sucks and will always suck for multimedia services, it would be a shame to take that big pipe you have and squeeze it down over a wifi access point.
Per-foot RG6 at your local Home Depot/Lowels/etc would probably be cheaper and will be just as good.
1. Network- Cat6
2. Cable TV- RG6
3. Surround Sound- 12awg

No need for phone- I use this "netTALK" with wireless phone......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
RG6 is fine for normal runs, anything over 100 ft, you should be using ct100.

Not everything will have wireless built in. I have two network connections running to each of my multimedia points. Cat5e will work fine for speeds up to gigabit, and is easier to work with too. Cat6 has slightly thicker strands.

Run an extra cable or two now. It won't take much extra effort, when you are running cables anyways. You won't regret it.
Thanks guys, multimedia wise wont be wireless. HTPC will only be down in the basement for now wired with ethernet. All the house PC's will be wireless.
(2012-07-29, 23:07)UnderCoverUZI Wrote: Thanks guys, multimedia wise wont be wireless. HTPC will only be down in the basement for now wired with ethernet. All the house PC's will be wireless.

If you're going to spend the time running coax through the walls why not spend a little time running some CAT5 to the rooms. Yes this takes time but is worth it, you might not use it that often but it's there for when you do need it.

(2012-07-30, 14:55)NickUK Wrote:
(2012-07-29, 23:07)UnderCoverUZI Wrote: Thanks guys, multimedia wise wont be wireless. HTPC will only be down in the basement for now wired with ethernet. All the house PC's will be wireless.

If you're going to spend the time running coax through the walls why not spend a little time running some CAT5 to the rooms. Yes this takes time but is worth it, you might not use it that often but it's there for when you do need it.

That's what i was thinking as well, might as well just do both at the same time. I would use a wallplate like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICC-Data-F-type-...35bbc141f5
(2012-07-31, 03:39)BrooksyX Wrote:
(2012-07-30, 14:55)NickUK Wrote:

That's what i was thinking as well, might as well just do both at the same time. I would use a wallplate like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICC-Data-F-type-...35bbc141f5

And for the ultimate in future-proofing, run all your wires through some ENT, like this! When I'm able to start finishing my basement in a few years, I'll be using this stuff extensively, and I'll be trying to run some of through the rest of the house as well.

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
+1e6 on that Flex-Plus Blue, that's how I did my house when I built it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wiring house question0