New to XBMC and a lot of questions.
I would like to start by thanking everyone for their hard work on such an amazing app. I have been looking for a cable replacement for several years and don’t know how I missed this. If I see one more site that claims to have all these channels available with “THEIR” media player I will go crazy. Each one comes with “a new home page”, “toolbar” or any of the other numerous malware/ spyware/ virus available. They are only missing the channels they advertise to be complete.

I am still working through a lot of it but once I got XBMC and Niva-X installed it had already opened up a new world and then stumbling upon the “HTCP” and “getting started” threads worked perfectly for my current situation. I have a lot more to go but am started to get overloaded like a kid in a candy store so I thought it might be best to list what I am trying to do and let “The Experts” help me and point me in the right direction. I have searched the forums but am getting older, slower and overloaded with info easier.

Here we go,

The wife is on home dialysis, is it possible to use XBMC via wifi so she can have access to all the content available on her Ipad?

The wife loves reading e-books and I have read the thread about XBMC and e-books but on the other side of it, does anyone know the best place using XBMC and add-ons to find some? She used to get them from Demoniod, god rest their sole.

Below is a list of what we have and what I would like to do. I am not very good with figuring hardware out for my HTPC build unless it is written in black and white for me. As mentioned above, I have read the thread about "getting started" and building HTCP’s but wanted to take some of the decision making on hardware out of my hands…lol

We have a Samsung plasma mounted on the wall. It is about 1-2 yrs old and came with the 3d glasses along, has every possible connection needed and plays any possible file out there. The other side of the wall it is mounted on is where the computer and router are. I have put a hole through the wall, behind the TV, to send cables through and all hardware will be in the room with the computer.

Basically we want to stream all content to the TV, even 3D. Not that we use it at this time but want to be prepared for the future.

Do I really need a blue ray player? We usually go to the Drive In or download it and, since we don’t have cable, will watch streams. The reason I ask is because we want to have surround sound not quite sure how to hook it up. I think that you need a receiver or DVD player so might as well get a blue ray just in case.

How do I control all this remotely if the hardware is in another room? I did see one member’s post on their set-up and they used a Logitech dinovo for the wireless keyboard which looks like a must after doing some searching on it.

What would be the best hardware for my HTPC, on the list of “getting started” thread or with what I want to do? Please be specific. While on the subject, I moved to Australia from the states and when I tried to do a search of some of the parts for a HTPC listed they didn’t have them in Australia. I think the only thing that matters is the Power Supply so I will need info on that. We did ship our computer over and replaced the Power Supply with one here and it was fine.

What other hardware will I need to hook up the PC to the HTPC ?

I have a top of the line internet connection, for Australia. After doing a speed test from Sydney to Sydney it came up 99.7 Mbps/ 1.6 Mbps. I know that these numbers are inflated because the server is in the same city I live in but it gives a general idea of what speeds I could get, under ideal circumstances and in a dream… lol The question is, is this going to be good enough speed or not? When I download torrents I have reached download speeds of up to 4 Mbps/ 1.2 Mbps. The other part of the question is, is the amount of bandwidth used to watch a stream of a 1 hour movie compatible with downloading the 1 hour show/movie? Are they the same or different because I only have 120 GB (50 GB peak/70GB off-peak) a month before I lose my speed.

And last, we have other TV’s through the house and how would we go about hooking them up. They of course would have limitations and all but is the resolution and file type handled in the HTCP box or will I only be able to watch specific file types and resolutions with what the TV can handle? Ex. Would the HTCP lower the resolution on a 1080p movie to one that the Sony TV can handle?

I know that this is a very long post and I would like to thank everyone in advance for their patience.
Hi

I've not read all your post as slightly busy, however from what I've read it looks to be XBMC is what will suite you quite well, it's very possible to use a remote control from the iPad to control the media that is played on the Media Center, along with that it does have a menu that will show you all the movies/TV Shows/Music/Pictures that are on that Media Center you're controlling you so simply click the movie you'd like to watch and off you go it will appear on your screen in a couple seconds.

If you're looking to stream content to your iPad then I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell you about other applications other than XBMC but PLEX Media Server I believe it's called and the Application "PLEX" on your iPad which will allow you to stream directly to your iPad and most other mobile devices including over 3G/4G if your upstream is fast enough.

You don't need anything overly powerful, I've got a hugely over-powered Media Center being a Quad Core, 4GB RAM and uses about 4% CPU while watching TVCatchup (UK Only!) and can play 1080p Content without going over 10% CPU.

You can get an Acer Revo I believe they're called, I will check it out in a second to grab you a link. These are pretty small and are very capable of running 1080p content and has USB Support to plugin a external USB Drive so a couple of those at 1TB and you're set for a little time.

99.7Mbit/s is fine you will be able to stream 1080p content without a single problem, there are many, many services out there that can stream you movies straight to your XBMC.

Hi nob4uask, fistly let me wish you and your wife all the best, I have an uncle who's been on dialysis for the last 5 years and only just last week had a successful (so far) transplant so I can appreciate what she's going through.
As for what you want to do with XBMC I don't own any Apple products so can't verify this but I believe XBMC would read the ipads content via airplay , maybe someone else can confirm this?

Unless you are in the US or are prepared to pay for a good proxy or VPN like unblockus when you can take full advantage of bluecops excellent addons I would urge anyone to forget about thinking of XBMC (or anything that claims it is) as a cable replacement, try and think of it as an awesome media centre and a cable complement,
in my experience as good as some of the official and not so official addons supplying content are they are flakey at best and not something to rely on as your only source of tv and entertainment.

As for HTPC hardware if you didn't want to go down the building it yourself route I have fairly recently set up a couple of Acer Revo RL70's for friends which are about £180 here in the UK, whilst these are never going to be a pc to do grunt work like video encoding or heavy photoshopping, I was pleasantly surprised at what good HTPC's and general computing pc's these little boxes are.
They handled my highest bitrate 1080p files flawlessly and I haven't seen it in action but my friend assures me he watches 3d halfsbs films fine on it, can't comment on other 3d files as that's all he's tried.
You may also want to check out Zotac boxes but I have no experience of these so couldn't say which one is best to get.
If you do want to build yourself work out exactly what you want the pc to do and ask in the hardware section what's best to get there's some very knowledgeable and helpful people in there, its a bit of a minefield if you're building your 1st pc with lots of options, just try and remember if its just an htpc and basic computer then you don't need high end specs, some reasonably cheap parts will do the trick just fine.

If you're planning on using a wifi network for your media duties make sure you have a wireless N router and it and your devices are set up to connect at 300mbps, I have one of my XBMC boxes connected via wifi and with the router set up properly I can stream 1080p files both ways at the same time without getting a single frame drop.
(2012-08-11, 00:22)nob4uask Wrote: The wife is on home dialysis, is it possible to use XBMC via wifi so she can have access to all the content available on her Ipad?

XBMC is not a streamer but you can install XBMC on the Ipad
Quote:The wife loves reading e-books and I have read the thread about XBMC and e-books but on the other side of it, does anyone know the best place using XBMC and add-ons to find some? She used to get them from Demoniod, god rest their sole.
You can find the repositories on the wiki of XBMC

Quote:How do I control all this remotely if the hardware is in another room? I did see one member’s post on their set-up and they used a Logitech dinovo for the wireless keyboard which looks like a must after doing some searching on it.
You can use the XBMC Remote App for Android or IOS and control over wifi. Otherwise you can use a Logitech Harmony with a RF extension
Quote:What would be the best hardware for my HTPC
I use the Xtreamer Ultra 2 HD which is shipped with OpenElec, an OS running XBMC only. The Asrock ION 3D is also very usable
Quote:What other hardware will I need to hook up the PC to the HTPC ?
To get connection? Network is all you need. But I suggest a central storage with DLNA streaming. I use a Synology
Quote:The question is, is this going to be good enough speed or not?
The stream depends on the source. SD content can be from 1.5 Mbit/s up to 10 Mbit/s. HD content range from 8 Mbit/s up to 40 Mbit/s (for Blue ray content)
Quote: Would the HTCP lower the resolution on a 1080p movie to one that the Sony TV can handle?
Yes it will give out the resolution you configured for the TV but the TV should be able to work with the frame rate of the material otherwise XBMC must reframe the output and this can give you lags

Thanx everyone for their assistance so far and am really loving this the more I get into it. I have decided to do the following for now so some more help is needed.

While doing some searching I found some using a dual monitor setup on their PC to use it as a HTCP, I thought "hmm" this might work for now. This will give me time to enjoy and learn more about the abilities of XBMC along with getting the finances and determining which HTCP I would like to build. This is what I have done so far but ran into a little hickup, below are my system details if that helps.

I ran a HDMI to DVI (19 pin) cable from my PC to the Samsung TV and am able to stream 1080p without an issue. Of course I forgot when reading the Samsung manual that sound isn't carried through the HDMI to DVI cable so you have to run an audio cable. If you are using a HDMI to DVI then you need to run a cable with R & W (Plugged into the sound card) on one end and a single plug (Goes to the TV) on the other end. If you are using a VGA cable then you only need to use an audio cable with a single plug on each side. Looking at my sound card there isn't a L & R for the dual plug because each input connector on the soundcard can be programmed seperately.

Can anyone help me with exactly what could be wrong because I don't have sound ? I know that the cable is good because I plugged the end into a simple radio with a "Line In" and it worked fine. I am using Realtech HD Audio Manager to control the soundcard jacks and all.

I installed XBMC Commandor free on the Iphone and Ipad which I think is great. I'm sure there are better out there but to start with am loving it. It kind of bothers me that those that created XBMC use Open Source which allows some to write a program and make money off of it. I really hope that those responsible for XBMC get a share.

Can someone help me with what is a good keyboard and mouse enumerator I can install on the Iphone & Ipad instead of buying a wireless keyboard and mouse ? I have been looking at things like HippoRemote and Eventghost but am a little lost on some of it. I basically want to use it with IE to surf the net. I have installed Advanced Launcher and attached IE to it but since I am running system in "Clone" monitor mode it really doesn't need to go through XBMC at this time because I can just use the TV as the monitor while in the living room.

CPU

[email protected]

Sound Device Details

Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_1458A102&REV_1002\4&35A89E12&0&0201
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys (5.10.0.6077 built by: WinDDK, 5.61 MB (5,883,936 bytes), 11/09/2010 8:45 PM)

Name Intel® Display Audio
Manufacturer Intel® Corporation
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&35A89E12&0&0301
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\intcdaud.sys (5.12.00.3042 built by: WinDDK, 230.00 KB (235,520 bytes), 11/09/2010 8:44 PM)

Name Virtual Audio Cable
Manufacturer EuMus Design
Status OK
PNP Device ID ROOT\MEDIA\0000
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\vrtaucbl.sys (4.9.0.2157, 39.63 KB (40,576 bytes), 11/09/2010 11:13 PM)

Display Details

Name Intel® HD Graphics
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_12\3&13C0B0C5&0&10
Adapter Type Intel® HD Graphics (Pentium), Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel® HD Graphics
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers igxprd32.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.5268
INF File oem5.inf (iILKD0 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Other Details

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model H55M-D2H
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F1, 4/05/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HOME\nob4uask
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 353.11 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.66 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Once again, thank you for your help.

Does your television have an optical audio input? Because it looks like your mobo has an S/PDIF output.
(2012-08-21, 16:09)Gr8rtek Wrote: Does your television have an optical audio input? Because it looks like your mobo has an S/PDIF output.

Even Gr8rtek,

Thanks for the quick response.

Looking at the manual it has the Audio Out (Optical) for connecting to the sound system, I am still trying to get it to work with the TV speakers.

It is 12:30am here and need to get a little sleep. I will check back later and as usual, thank you for your time.
nob4uask how many HDMI ports do you have on your tv? Mine is a different make but it also has the same jack you used for vga sound, that jack is also linked to my HDMI port 3 so that if I use DVI to HDMI I have to plug the pc into my HDMI port 3 and connect the cable with a single jack on each end into the green headphone/speaker jack on my pc and the vga sound input on my tv to get sound out of the tv,
if I use the other HDMI ports on my tv I get no sound, try experimenting with other HDMI ports on the tv until you get sound out of one,
oh and also set your XBMC sound output to analogue if you're doing this.
Hope that made sense and hope it helped
(2012-08-21, 22:53)stammie Wrote: nob4uask how many HDMI ports do you have on your tv? Mine is a different make but it also has the same jack you used for vga sound, that jack is also linked to my HDMI port 3 so that if I use DVI to HDMI I have to plug the pc into my HDMI port 3 and connect the cable with a single jack on each end into the green headphone/speaker jack on my pc and the vga sound input on my tv to get sound out of the tv,
if I use the other HDMI ports on my tv I get no sound, try experimenting with other HDMI ports on the tv until you get sound out of one,
oh and also set your XBMC sound output to analogue if you're doing this.
Hope that made sense and hope it helped

Morn stammie,

I moved the HDMI to port 3 and still no sound. I have 4 HDMI ports (1 - DVI, 2 - ARC , 3 & 4). The manual says use 1 for a DVI hook up and 2 - 4 for other devices. I did notice something in the manual. It says that if my device is operating a HDMI version older than 1.4 it may cause abnormal operation with one being no sound. How do I find out what version I have ? I am searching but having problems finding it.
just a quick note about using a dual monitor setup with xbmc. if you AREN'T planning on using the other monitor for doing stuff WHILE someone else watches xbmc, then things work great, but if you use a program like LMRemote keymap or something to process the ir signals to send to xbmc, it generally has to be in focus to receive the signals. (in focus apps will receive the LMRemote signals. you will be browsing the internet and someone hits the remote button on the remote and your page will reload or something, happened to me a lot Smile)

it's not a big deal but you'll probably end up liking a dedicated machine for xbmc in the long run. sharing a desktop with xbmc becomes annoying if you wish to use xbmc and do other things at the same time. (macs will auto send the signal to xbmc but put xbmc in focus in doing so.)
most tv's don't have an audio IN separate from the hdmis anymore. old tv's with component did but you could rarely re-assign audo / video to meat today's hdmi needs.

what i did for my small systems is, get a cheap video card that has a full hdmi plug out that also carries audio. most do now. run all hdmi into your tv.

use the optical out of the tv to your receiver. never switch the intput on your receiver. it only needs to be on 1 input the optical in from the tv. Your tv is the switch for inputs. your receiver is only used to process the audio. you don't even need a av receiver with this setup.
Morning blertybot,

Thanx for the assistance, I think that I will go this path but need some quick advice. I did some checking and found the following graphics cards but couldn't find out if the HDMI carried sound or not. Could you please take a look and let me know if one or these will work ?

Gigabyte GV-N610SL-1GI GT610 VGA Card - $43
Asus GT630-2GB GT630 2GB DDR3 VGA Card - $88

This brings up a couple more questions.

It looks like my current video card is one of those that is on the mother board, is there going to be a conflict if I add one ?

What is the HDMI version my TV manual talks about ?

As far as the computer being used, We have an older one that we use for downloading and stuff, a network drive shared between the two so there really isn't any reason to use it if the TV is being watched.

Once again, Thanx for your time.

nob4uask
The other cheapish option is to get a set of 2:1 pc speakers and again connect to the green audio output on your pc.
On my bedroom setup I have a cheap £20 Logitech set connected to my tv, whilst they couldn't hold a candle to the sound produced by the AV reciever in my living room they do imho knock spots off of the sound produced by even the expensive tv's I've heard.
Morn stammie,

Part of the reason I wanted to go through the PC at this point in time was to work out all the bugs so when I can afford to build a HTPC it will be a pretty easy change over. Since XBMC will be the heart of everything if I can't get sound working then it isn't going to be very useful. Quite dissappointing but I will keep working on it.
Even XBMC,

The wife went to the movies with her mother and it gave me some time to have a beer and think. After having a beer and searching I have solved the sound problem. I will explain what I did in hopes that it will help others.

I searched on how to find out if my HDMI port was working because everything is onboard and wasn't sure what went with what. Most said plug something into it but I don't have anything but the TV I am trying to get it hooked up to... RLMAO The howto or something like that website said to go into the Hardware area and check under "Display Adapters" to see if HDMI shows up and it didn't. I looked at my driver and it was 2 years old so went to Intel and checked for new drivers (It is always helpful to keep those up to date... RLMAO) I updated the driver and now I have video and sound through the HDMI port even though I still don't have HDMI port showing up under "Display Adapters" so what it works... What a dang relieve.

There are some picture issues dealing with the 2 different displays but that is a low priority that I can look up. The main thing is that I can now continue on fine tuning everything until I can build the HTCP.

I guess the next question is How do I get this working with a remote ? I will start looking but once again any help would be appreciated.

Thanx for all those that have helped.

nob4uask
Glad you got it sorted Smile
There are many good remote options available depending on your budget,
I just went with the cheapest possible one and have 2 of these for my XBMC machines:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Remote-Con...4aadb186a5

They are pretty basic but hey they work straight out of the box

Others will have to advise you on the best to get if you want something a bit more complex with more functions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC and a lot of questions.0