Linux Minecraft Server on XBMCbuntu ??
Has anyone had luck setting up a minecraft server on their XBMCbuntu machine? I have been leaving the computer on all the time and was looking to multipurpose the hardware. I guess I could wipe and load Ubuntu proper on there then add XBMC... but I figured I would ask the forum first.

Thanks!
HTPC: CPU | MoBo | GPU | Case & PSU | RAM |SSD
(2012-08-14, 02:37)Andro Wrote: Has anyone had luck setting up a minecraft server on their XBMCbuntu machine? I have been leaving the computer on all the time and was looking to multipurpose the hardware. I guess I could wipe and load Ubuntu proper on there then add XBMC... but I figured I would ask the forum first.

Thanks!

I ran it alongside XBMCbuntu with no problems. The only thing to caution is how much memory you allow the server and how many concurrent users you have. I think I averaged 3 users and 2GB of memory for the minecraft server I used to run.

Naturally you want people to use a closer view otherwise there will be playback issues on the XBMCbuntu if someone is using it while you are playing minecraft since it's trying to generate all those chunks.
(2012-08-15, 17:06)FuryStryker Wrote:
(2012-08-14, 02:37)Andro Wrote: Has anyone had luck setting up a minecraft server on their XBMCbuntu machine? I have been leaving the computer on all the time and was looking to multipurpose the hardware. I guess I could wipe and load Ubuntu proper on there then add XBMC... but I figured I would ask the forum first.

Thanks!

I ran it alongside XBMCbuntu with no problems. The only thing to caution is how much memory you allow the server and how many concurrent users you have. I think I averaged 3 users and 2GB of memory for the minecraft server I used to run.

Naturally you want people to use a closer view otherwise there will be playback issues on the XBMCbuntu if someone is using it while you are playing minecraft since it's trying to generate all those chunks.

what, if any, directions did you follow for the minecraft installation? I'm still getting comfortable with Linux so a well written guide is worth it weight in gold.

HTPC: CPU | MoBo | GPU | Case & PSU | RAM |SSD
Not really what you asked for, I know, but if you own a Synology NAS by any chance then there is an easy to install package for minecaft (though only Intel based types I guess).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minecraft Server on XBMCbuntu ??0