Win Failed to initialize audio device
Hi, after going through many google results it is clear this is a common problem and also one that can have a number of reasons as to why it occurs. However after looking at many results i cannot seem to find a solution.

I am running xbmc-ae-final with my intention of getting dts-hd and master audio to work. Everytime i try to load a file with either of these 2 sound formats i get the "Failed to initialize audio device" error message and the video plays very slow. However if i uncheck the options of a dts-hd / master audio capable receiver the file will play fine although just in dts and hd sound.

These same files using my same receiver played fine on my old popcorn hour displaying dts-hd lamp on the receiver, so i am stumped.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Thanks in advance.
Hi. Welcome to the XBMC forums!

Please read this before asking for help.

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
This is the debug log: http://pastebin.com/jydW93r2
Details also:
Windows 7 64 bit
Ram: 4gb
Audio: AMD High definition audio device
Graphics: AMD Radeon 6320

Thanks

Check out this thread- Setup: to configure XBMC for bitstreaming HD audio....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-26, 07:10)bluray Wrote: Check out this thread- Setup: to configure XBMC for bitstreaming HD audio....

thanks for the pointer but i have followed that step by step and still get same error message. Although i do now have the video playing properly just no sound. Any ideas? When i go to control panel > audio in windows7 it has master audio and dts-hd in the available formats list so must be ok and when i play blu-ray discs my receiver outputs in these formats aswell so that must be ok too?
Hi Gunnerlee - missing some info from the start of the log. Can you add the following in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<loglevelrem>1</loglevelrem>

Then check your log after retrying and make sure it shows the complete startup then post it again. There should be a lot of info at the start about your audio devices.

Another thing to check is that you've enabled exclusive mode:
- go to taskbar, right click on speaker icon, then click playback devices
- on your HDMI device (make sure there's only one) click properties
- go to the last tab - Advanced
- make sure both boxes are checked

Try again, with line above in your advancedsettings.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-08-28, 16:41)gunnerlee Wrote:
(2012-08-26, 07:10)bluray Wrote: Check out this thread- Setup: to configure XBMC for bitstreaming HD audio....

thanks for the pointer but i have followed that step by step and still get same error message. Although i do now have the video playing properly just no sound. Any ideas? When i go to control panel > audio in windows7 it has master audio and dts-hd in the available formats list so must be ok and when i play blu-ray discs my receiver outputs in these formats aswell so that must be ok too?
You are almost there....you have to select HDMI output and WASAP: in XBMC audio output for bitstreaming HD audio.....you might want to follow the instructions in SETUP section in the thread carefully......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
@bluray - valid pointers there in your setup thread - just different version may be confusing - he's using nightlies not the patched version. From his log he is on WASAPI and HDMI.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
thanks for trying to help guys,

here is my latest log http://pastebin.com/9JSBhLq9

let me know if there anything else that would help.
Now that I see the start of the log the build you're running isn't even AE. It was March 2nd, well before the merge hit. First thing I would do is go grab the latest nightly version.
have just tried the latest nightly and i go back to the video stuttering and no sound. the previous version i was running i thought was the one from blu-ray's guide: HDAudio + Eden RC2. Am i right in thinking i just download these versions and try them, i don't need to patch/overwrite them with something?

here is the log for the latest nightly i have just tried: http://pastebin.com/M0gxJnn7
Just to explain quickly there are two HD-audio versions of XBMC floating around. The one you originally had from blu-ray's guide is based on a patched version of Eden, and is not really dev-supported. That version HDAudio + Eden RC2 I built a while back from DanielaE's patch.

The latest nightly includes the new AudioEngine which supports HD audio, 24bit, etc. It's part of the master branch of XBMC now and thus is supported going forward.

It also gives much more detailed log info. From the log I can see your audio driver does not support DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD. When you unselect those it works because for DTS-MA we are taking the core DTS (non-HD) and for TrueHD we are decoding to PCM. But you're not really getting the real deal.

Google your ATI video card to see if it does those formats, and make sure you have:
1) deleted the RealTek High-Definition Audio Driver
2) downloaded the latest (12.6?) ATI Catalyst drivers - the full pack not just the video drivers.

You should see the audio driver is now ATI's.

Once done and re-booted, right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar, go to Playback Devices. Click on the ATI HDMI device, then select properties.

It will show you the supported formats - if DTS-HD isn't there then either the driver is incorrectly installed or your ATI card doesn't support HD audio formats.

One last thing - if there's any onboard HDMI audio (which I doubt, it's not in log) please disable it in BIOS. Only the ATI should be active.
Hi, before trying your suggestions i was doing some more googling and came accross this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-o...-ati-5xxxs

I gave that a try and it worked first time Big Grin

Thanks again for all your help.
The dreaded EDID issue! It especially seems to hit Onkyo amps but as you can see from that thread there are others.

Glad you're sorted out - enjoy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed to initialize audio device0