Movie setup across different formats?
Just wondering how people have their movies set up basically. I can't figure out the best way for me.

Basically I have my rips split on my server. I like to keep them separated so I know what kind of rip they are. So I have my DVD rips in a folder, my HD-DVD rips in another folder, my Bluray rips in another folder, TV series, recorded TV, etc.

What I can't decide is how to set XBMC up. To just have all the movie directories under movie so when you're scrolling through, every movie is there or have a DVD area and a HD area which holds only HD-DVD and Bluray. Or separate all three like the folders are split.

I know XBMC file info can show me what I am watching so I will know if it's a DVD or a HD-DVD, etc, but for those in the house who use this and have no idea about file formats, it might be confusing versus them going into the HD area and knowing that this movie will look great compared to a DVD. But then having them split means you have to go through three different menus just to see all the movies and decide what you want to watch, etc.

So how do people have their movies set up. All formats under on the one movie area or separate areas so you know you're watching DVDs or watching Blurays?

Thanks
I have all my movies under one main folder but each movie resides in their own sub folders

Some skins such as Cirrus Extended V2 have a home menu option for 'Moves' which lists everything & 'HD Movies' which only lists movies above 720p.

There may be others skins which offer the same option but I've not looked at many of them for a while now.

Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

I keep everything together. To me, it's pretty clear what resolution I'm watching. Plus i name all my HD files with either .bluray or .hddvd, so when you're scrolling, or bringing up an infoscreen, you'll see the BD or HDDVD flag (skin dependent probably).
You brought up the biggest con with the fact that there would be a lot more searching through menus to see all your movies. You could set up a smart playlist that filters all material with a resolution of > 720, and then assign that to a submenu below movies - if you really find it necessary to browse only HD material.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Thanks for the replies.

It's something I'm wrestling with as I've tried both ways but been away travelling and only just now setting up XBMC again and I was hoping there was a better way to have it organised.

thrak76, could you please elaborate a little on the HD file naming? I'm searching for media tag info and can't seem to find what you mean.
Sure.

A Scanner Darkly (2006).hddvd.mkv or...
Alien (1979).bluray.mkv

Each of these naming conventions will prompt the skin to show the respective format flag in the same area as the audio format/codec, rating, etc. You could also choose to insert .dvd in place of the ones above and then get the dvd flag. Make sense?
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Thanks. Ran a couple of tests and set the skin to show cases and it works well. Even the bluray and hddvd icons show nicely.

Only issue I have is I used Media Center Master to scrape my info and during my test it was renaming my movie files taking away the .bluray or .hddvd and if I disable the rename option, I just need to make sure that the files are named correctly before MCM can process them. Kind of a pain.

I'm not sure what you used but wonder how I can get around this.
I searched on the MCM forums site and found there is a feature request to have source available during renaming with MCM...

http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/view...it=.bluray.

Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

(2012-08-26, 09:14)donkey33 Wrote: Thanks. Ran a couple of tests and set the skin to show cases and it works well. Even the bluray and hddvd icons show nicely.

Only issue I have is I used Media Center Master to scrape my info and during my test it was renaming my movie files taking away the .bluray or .hddvd and if I disable the rename option, I just need to make sure that the files are named correctly before MCM can process them. Kind of a pain.

I'm not sure what you used but wonder how I can get around this.

I just make sure I'm naming my files correctly.

However, I did use Bulk rename utility to rename a bunch with the source tags several months ago. BRU is a little confusing at first, but works great.
That bulk rename utility looks decent enough. Just need to figure out if it can insert .bluray after the movie name and year.

I guess in regards to my original post, renaming and using covers does mean I can have a single movie library as every rip will be cased in its correct format.
I used Ember Media Manager to do a bunch of crazy renaming because you can use individual movie data to insert things like resolution/source/quality/audio tags/etc.

Examples:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (2010).aac.6ch.bluray.1080p
City of God (2002).aac.2ch.hddvd.720p
Immortals (2011).ac3.6ch.dvd.480p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie setup across different formats?0