• 25(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-03-18, 04:36)freak1 Wrote: What size msata ssd would be best for win 8 + xbmc?
32 or 64?
64gb or bigger.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-18, 06:26)bluray Wrote:
(2013-03-18, 04:36)freak1 Wrote: What size msata ssd would be best for win 8 + xbmc?
32 or 64?
64gb or bigger.....

Thanks for the info.
Raspberry Pi-B with Raspbmc
i5 iMac 21.5"
Macbook Pro
LG PA75U Projector with 113" DIY screen
iPhone 5S/Kodi
Denon AVR S500BT with Klipsch Reference series 5.1 setup
Amazon Fire TV with SPMC
Asus M004U (Coming Soon)

32 or 64?

This was my question to when I bought the NUC. It was however clear that 32 could work but you will have to do some tweaks, almost everyone recommended 64 now including me.
(2013-03-18, 02:46)atandon Wrote: Hey jimbob37, so currently are u using windows 8?
Also, are u using an IR remote with it? If so, which USB IR receiver did u get?

I probably need to tinker with the NUC a little more.
But I must say, I am amazed at the speed of this little thing

Yes I'm using windows 8 Pro as I have licenses due to my Microsoft Action Pack subscription.

Tried with a cheapo media centre remote and a Harmony touch but found them both to be unsuitable for me and ended up running the app on an iPad mini.

(2013-03-18, 09:04)snowjim Wrote:
32 or 64?

This was my question to when I bought the NUC. It was however clear that 32 could work but you will have to do some tweaks, almost everyone recommended 64 now including me.

Depends on what you want from the nuc. I went with a 32 and after a default install of win 8 still have about 8Gb free on the drive. This is without disabling hibernation or reducing the swap file. I have 6Gb of ram in there as I had it lying around after a laptop upgrade.

If you plan on doing any download or gameplay on the nuc you will need either a bigger msata or external usb / nas. I only use the box for xbmc playback and web browsing and find 32gb is more than enough.
(2013-03-18, 10:42)jimbob37 Wrote: Depends on what you want from the nuc. I went with a 32 and after a default install of win 8 still have about 8Gb free on the drive. This is without disabling hibernation or reducing the swap file. I have 6Gb of ram in there as I had it lying around after a laptop upgrade.

If you plan on doing any download or gameplay on the nuc you will need either a bigger msata or external usb / nas. I only use the box for xbmc playback and web browsing and find 32gb is more than enough.

32GB would work but you have to check the space more regular, 8 GB free is not much after an installation. Then add updates, XBMC cach data, XBMC meta data, drivers, and possible other applications that you need in Windows to make it more flexible for your use. Also if I understand this correct the hibernation is based on amount of RAM so If you got 6 GB ram you will need almost 6 GB extra space. What to do if you run out of space?

I made some research and ended up with a 60 GB, after installation I got 30 GB free and at this point I do not got any extra software becides, drivers, XBMC and spotify.

You could go with a light version of Windows.

If you are not going to use Windows for anything then it would probably be better to choose something like openelec that is much smaller.

But, as you say, 32GB would work with Windows 8 64bit + XBMC but it will with out a doubt on the edge.
I put Win8 on the 32GB SSD in my NUC. I have about 8-12GB free. I forget what the exact amount is.
Another update.
With Win7 64, I am getting better results after using the HD4000 control panel to set the refresh rate at 24p
From a blind side by side comparison, I can't distinguish the image thrown out by the NUC and PS3

Now I need to figure out why I cant get HD audio to work with Win7
Works just fine with Openelec
With the win7 setup, I have to disable HD audio (or select the non HD audio stream) otherwise the video stutters. This is with and without h/w acceleration turned on

The NUC is connected via HDMI to my Denon 3312 receiver
(2013-03-18, 18:15)atandon Wrote: Now I need to figure out why I cant get HD audio to work with Win7
With the win7 setup, I have to disable HD audio (or select the non HD audio stream) otherwise the video stutters. This is with and without h/w acceleration turned on

For it to bitstream HD audio, Frodo audio output should look similar to the screenshot below, and you can find other tips in this thread- Simplify XBMC configurations......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
anyone here using openelec with the celeron nuc ?
FYI: a user posted a compiled 64 bit image of the openelec intel build RC5 that fixes the black crush. See the thread for download and commands.

http://openelec.tv/index.php?option=com_...7&id=62342
(2013-03-18, 22:53)Busenheimer Wrote: FYI: a user posted a compiled 64 bit image of the openelec intel build RC5 that fixes the black crush. See the thread for download and commands.

F-ing A! Great news. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.
(2013-03-18, 18:15)atandon Wrote: Another update.
With Win7 64, I am getting better results after using the HD4000 control panel to set the refresh rate at 24p
From a blind side by side comparison, I can't distinguish the image thrown out by the NUC and PS3

Now I need to figure out why I cant get HD audio to work with Win7

Another thing to check with this is that you have installed the drivers from Intel. With the default install of windows & having run windows update the driver showed the latest version but I had the HD audio options missing in supported formats,
Thanks folks

Looks like I just needed to change the output device to WASAPI in Audio settings

Now a new issue. With h/w acceleration turned on, I started noticing some weird artifacts in the middle of a movie. Don't see them with h/w acceleration turned off. So worst case I keep it off. Which is not a biggie since I plan to use this as a dedicated htpc
Wow! This box is value for money.

(2013-03-18, 22:53)Busenheimer Wrote: FYI: a user posted a compiled 64 bit image of the openelec intel build RC5 that fixes the black crush. See the thread for download and commands.

You sure thats the correct link. I don't see anything there regarding a download link
I went to the same place and couldn't find anything on the NUC or crush. Huh
(2013-03-18, 11:38)snowjim Wrote:
(2013-03-18, 10:42)jimbob37 Wrote: Depends on what you want from the nuc. I went with a 32 and after a default install of win 8 still have about 8Gb free on the drive. This is without disabling hibernation or reducing the swap file. I have 6Gb of ram in there as I had it lying around after a laptop upgrade.

32GB would work but you have to check the space more regular, 8 GB free is not much after an installation. Then add updates, XBMC cach data, XBMC meta data, drivers, and possible other applications that you need in Windows to make it more flexible for your use. Also if I understand this correct the hibernation is based on amount of RAM so If you got 6 GB ram you will need almost 6 GB extra space. What to do if you run out of space?

I made some research and ended up with a 60 GB, after installation I got 30 GB free and at this point I do not got any extra software becides, drivers, XBMC and spotify.

You could go with a light version of Windows.

If you are not going to use Windows for anything then it would probably be better to choose something like openelec that is much smaller.

But, as you say, 32GB would work with Windows 8 64bit + XBMC but it will with out a doubt on the edge.

As I said in my post the free space is without disabling the hibernation file. It's also after downloading all the fan art and other data for my install of ~200 films.

If space does become an issue for me I am more than happy to remove the hibernation file as the system boots from cold to the xbmc screen in about 8 seconds. You could also quite comfortably manually reduce your swap file down to gain a bit more usable space.

I'm definitely not saying this is the right approach for everyone, but if you want a mostly dedicated xbmc device with the option of dropping back to windows for occasional web or easier config it can bring down the cost of the box.

To be honest if I could get openelec to work in my setup I would have ditched the msata altogether and run form a usb stick.

Any celeron users had a chance to try the deinterlacing with 1080i content yet?
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24