xbmc newb....sell me on it!
Hello all. I am looking into making an xbmc and have a few questions. Below are my thoughts/questions (yes I have looked at the very helpful post by eskero):

Current situation:
-I have a ps3 which I use to stream video files from my computer using DLNA, play dvds/blurays
-I watch hulu+ using the ps3
-watch some youtube videos with ps3
-computer is not too far, but the ps3 is operating with wireless G
-I am in the USA
-I do not have cable, just plain OTA broadcasting

Questions:
1. I understand that the xbmc will give me access to various channels and allow me to stream media from my computer, or just store it there. What kind of channels will I get?
2. Why would I use xbmc over boxee?
3. What are the other “killer” features should I look forward to?
4. Where are most people getting their content?
5. Is there any way (or is it useful) to build a pc with a tuner in it? I did have a mythtv at one point, but gave up on it due to tuners not being able to grab the channels from the cable company/syncing the guide, Etc.
Not too many salesman on this floor... try the next floor up.
Quote:"xbmc newb....sell me on it!"
If you find you've paid too much, a refund with a $10 restocking fee is always available with your receipt.

Plenty of material in these forums, faqs, and wiki's, succinctly answers all your questions.

(2012-09-16, 17:38)PatK Wrote: Not too many salesman on this floor... try the next floor up.
Quote:"xbmc newb....sell me on it!"
If you find you've paid too much, a refund with a $10 restocking fee is always available with your receipt.

Plenty of material in these forums, faqs, and wiki's, succinctly answers all your questions.

Agreed. There are no ambassadors here. Do your own research.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
It's really hard to say how awesome XBMC rather than just showing how awesome it is. With that in mind, I recommend checking out youtube videos of XBMC. Here's a good one to start with:

And another:

Ned,
I do agree that Xbmc is very cool and those videos are great.

Patk and thrak,
Perhaps either one of you could simply tell me what you use Xbmc for rather than telling me to go "look it up". I was looking for help deciding whether Xbmc is a good idea for me, I am aware that there are a million forum posts and wiki pages...
(2012-09-16, 18:51)scales11 Wrote: Perhaps either one of you could simply tell me what you use Xbmc for rather than telling me to go "look it up". I was looking for help deciding whether Xbmc is a good idea for me, I am aware that there are a million forum posts and wiki pages...
It's the ultimate media player for most of us in this forum......you can simply download (it's free), and give it a shot. If you have any question after you exposed to it, you can ask question in here....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Ok. Well I have been looking at the zotac id80...do any if you have any specific thoughts or should I hunt through the forums more?
(2012-09-16, 18:51)scales11 Wrote: Perhaps either one of you could simply tell me what you use Xbmc for rather than telling me to go "look it up". I was looking for help deciding whether Xbmc is a good idea for me, I am aware that there are a million forum posts and wiki pages...

Fair enough. I was probably a little harsh.

I use it for everything now. I don't have cable or satellite service, and just the basic OTA channels. So XBMC serves up all my rips (BD, DVD, HDDVD), "acquired" tvshows, LiveTV (with WMC), Netflix (also w/ WMC), Hulu, Amazon video, trailers, Free cable add-on, etc. And it serves my music library, and my family pictures.

It takes a bit of work on my part for everything to be in one place, but it's worth it for me and my family.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-09-16, 19:21)scales11 Wrote: Ok. Well I have been looking at the zotac id80...do any if you have any specific thoughts or should I hunt through the forums more?

Try it on a computer you already have before buying a dedicated box.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
Just to add to what Chris! said, you can try XBMC on one of your existing computers without even having to install it on your hard drive. You can run packages such as XBMCbuntu or OpenELEC in "live" mode so nothing is changed on your computer. If you like it, you can then install it on an existing or new computer; if you don't, then just chuck the CD or reformat the USB thumbdrive you use for booting XBMC in "live" mode.
(2012-09-16, 19:21)scales11 Wrote: Ok. Well I have been looking at the zotac id80...do any if you have any specific thoughts or should I hunt through the forums more?
If you are planning to user your HTPC to stream Netflix/Hulu/Vudu/Youtube HD video, I'm suggesting to step up to i3 model- Zotac Intel Core i3-2330M 2.2GHz Intel HM65 Wi-Fi A V GbE PC Barebone System ZBOXHD-ID82-U....

I download 99.9% of my media (movies/tvshows/music), xbmc helps me organise and scrapes artwork/metadata for my media and view it all in a nice UI. It is all free and is now central to all my entertainment!

I wake up in the morning and SickBeard (another great software) will have downloaded new tv show episodes that aired recently, xbmc will scrape the artwork and metadata all ready for me to view, I have to do nothing!, i practically just switch on my tv and view straight away. Once everything is automated and setup you will wonder why you never had it in the first place! I don't think I have watched tv other than sports and news as there is no need once you build up a nice collection of shows and movies.

Also another plus is it is always improving and getting better.
All,
Thank you for your further input I will try out more. I have installed it on a virtual machine and played with it a little, but I think that it needs to be on a dedicated machine so I can really give it a fair shot. As many point out, it is a slick and useful application. I have a couple more questions though:

1. Some have mentioned Netflix/Hulu/Amazon video...do they all run well? I thought I had read that sometimes they break when the companies put out updates. Do Hulu/Netflix/Amazon try and lock XBMC users out? Windows is required for Netflix streaming right?

2. I do have a Hulu plus (paid) account for my ps3, but I think I can go with a free one with XBMC...correct? (thrak76: I too have ditched my cable, too expensive!)

3. bluray: I was concerned that the ID80 would be under powered...Zotac isn't exactly known for the best "quality" in my opinion. When the price starts to get up to $350 should I consider building something? I saw the builds from eskro, but I do like the form factor of the small zotac...
(2012-09-17, 14:51)scales11 Wrote: All,
Thank you for your further input I will try out more. I have installed it on a virtual machine and played with it a little, but I think that it needs to be on a dedicated machine so I can really give it a fair shot. As many point out, it is a slick and useful application. I have a couple more questions though:

1. Some have mentioned Netflix/Hulu/Amazon video...do they all run well? I thought I had read that sometimes they break when the companies put out updates. Do Hulu/Netflix/Amazon try and lock XBMC users out? Windows is required for Netflix streaming right?
I'm using 7MCE to enjoy live TV/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon HD streaming. I do this "post #751" to link XBMC to 7MCE......

(2012-09-17, 14:51)scales11 Wrote: 3. bluray: I was concerned that the ID80 would be under powered...Zotac isn't exactly known for the best "quality" in my opinion. When the price starts to get up to $350 should I consider building something? I saw the builds from eskero, but I do like the form factor of the small zotac...
You can....if you want the quickiest and easiest route to enjoy XBMC, pre-built is the best way to go........

Atoms cant stream worth crap. I get stuttering even on flash with a atom 2. i3 would work good. check these out comming in october http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/intel...ctober-po/

That would take care of everything except bluray disc and all solid state. Building your own would be more fun.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc newb....sell me on it!2