• 1(current)
NextPVR (NPVR) First Impressions
Being a MediaPortal user/developer for many years and a ForTheRecord user for over a year I have enjoyed the perpetual challenge of setting up the 'perfect' HTPC. I am always looking for the 'bigger and better deal'. Smile

MediaPortal was my main software of choice for many years, mainly because I am a c# developer and I could expand/create plugins. But I always loved the setup simplicity, quick and slick looking interface of XBMC. The only missing piece was PVR integration. Then PVR was added to XBMC and Margro quickly added MediaPortal support. While it worked great it was missing advanced scheduling features, thus the need for ForTheRecord integration. While I also love ForTheRecord it is missing HD-PVR & Colossus support and I had to integrated it with MediaPortal to use my tuners and have the advanced scheduling. So the search for a single Windows back-end was still on...

Then yesterday sub3 (NextPVR developer) posted on a thread about the NextPVR software. It has advanced scheduling, web guide, supports the tuners I use and sub3 is working hard on XBMC PVR integration. He invited me to try out his addon so I decided to install it and give it a go.

Installation went very smooth and configuration was very intuitive (for me anyway.) I followed the guides and configured the tuners, codecs and added the guide information. Its integrated schedules direct support was great and I was able to import my channels for the HD-PVR's without hassle. I scanned the ATSC channels on the HDHomeRun and tied it to schedules direct guide.

After the guide import finished I exited the configuration and went immediately to the guide, selected a channel and everything worked great. Never have I had a piece of software install and configure so quickly. Maybe it was the experience I've gained configuring MediaPortal and ForTheRecord over the years, I can't really say.

Now that the core NextPVR software was configured, sub3 sent me some files to replace to add XBMC PVR support (they will be included in the next version.) After copying the files I pulled the latest version of the PVR addon from sub3's github repository, compiled and installed them on my XBMC machine. After a few small issues sub3 assisted me with, I was up and running XBMC with NextPVR back-end. The channels and guide data populated without issue and live tv worked without a hitch. Channel change times are exactly the same as when I used MediaPortal and ForTheRecord. I tried a few recordings and again they worked without issues.

Although it is still work in progress, Live TV, Guide data and Recordings are all working very well in XBMC. Timers are a non-issue as I can use the web guide to schedule Series recordings. Overall it looks very promising and will be a competitor in the near future.

Sub3 said he has only been working on integration for a few weeks, so I am very excited to see what he can do in the next few weeks Smile
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
Thanks for the report. I'm very interested in this integration. Out of curiosity, what build/version are you using?
Never even heard about this software before. I'm really happy with 4TR, but I really miss streaming live-tv feature integrated into webinterface. Does it support mdapi ?
(2012-09-20, 22:46)Donger Wrote: Thanks for the report. I'm very interested in this integration. Out of curiosity, what build/version are you using?

I'm using the 2.5.5 version of NPVR with a few custom files. The XBMC addon was built from sub3's github repository here -> https://github.com/sub3/xbmc-pvr-addons.

I plan to add the addon build to my XBMC PVR page when I can everything put together with instructions (probably this weekend.)
(2012-09-20, 22:53)KRA77 Wrote: Never even heard about this software before. I'm really happy with 4TR, but I really miss streaming live-tv feature integrated into webinterface. Does it support mdapi ?

I'm honestly not sure of all the features yet, I just started using the software yesterday. Hopefully sub3 will chime in and be able to answer.
Oh, this is GB-PVR under new name ?
Thanks for the heads up, I'm in the same situation as you, using 4tr but stuck with media portal as the tuner since one of my tuners is a hd-pvr.

If npvr supports freesat/sky UK epg, stb blasting and combining of similar channels over several tuners then I'm definately going to try this out as mediaportals TV service seems to have stability issues..
How about the scheduling options compared to 4TR ?
How well would this work with hdhr prime?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-09-20, 23:21)KRA77 Wrote: Oh, this is GB-PVR under new name ?

Hardly. The developer sub is the same but he completely rewrote the code over the last 2.5 years to be more in tune with current tuners. It still works with old analog tuner but it really shines with modern devices.

Martin
Thanks for the positive feedback wilee. Blush
(2012-09-20, 23:40)bry- Wrote: How well would this work with hdhr prime?
It should work with all tuners that work with NextPVR, including the HDHR Prime. With this tuner you'll only be able to watch/record Copy-Freely channels. ie same restrictions as pretty much all software (except WMC).

(2012-09-20, 22:53)KRA77 Wrote: Does it support mdapi ?
yes it supports multidec plugins
Sorry brief replies. I've only got phone access to the Internet today. Grrr ISP
(2012-09-20, 23:33)KRA77 Wrote: How about the scheduling options compared to 4TR ?

I'm not sure exactly what options your looking for, but here is a snapshot of the scheduling options...

Those types of criteria are enough for most users, but for those that need it there is also some more advanced scheduling options where you can specify keywords, or specify your own criteria.
Interesting. It comes with a recording service and doesn't have all that SQL shit Smile Downloading...

(2012-09-21, 00:57)sub3 Wrote: Those types of criteria are enough for most users, but for those that need it there is also some more advanced scheduling options where you can specify keywords, or specify your own criteria.

Gotcha Wink I still have a lot to learn about NPVR Smile
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NextPVR (NPVR) First Impressions2