Advice on PSU
Here's the response from mini-box.com customer service. It looks like the 8A max rating is correct.

The DC barrel style jack supports up to 8A but if you can use a bigger AC/DC adapter if you don't exceed for too long the rated input. Usually, the bigger AC/DC adapters are delivered with a a 4-pin mini DIN connector for higher power. They can also be used with the PicoPSU-120 but with the P4 type connector. For example, see this AC/DC adapter which is delivered with the 4-pin mini DIN to P4 adapter: http://www.mini-box.com/12v-12-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter .
Hope this information helps!

So, you probably can get away with a 120W AC adapter with the picoPSU 120 since it's unlikely you'll be above 96W continuously but for the larger 150/160, pairing those with a 12.5A or bigger AC adapter using the 5.5mm * 2.5mm barrel-style jack is not a good idea (i.e. for a discrete GPU while gaming).

Given the review in the JohnnyGuru.com article and the 8A rating, I still think the 120-WI-25 with a 18.5 or 19V AC adapter is the best 120W combination. But, if it's not available, the 12V models will work as long as it's not continuously over 96W.
thanks for the head's up...

so basically, since you mention the 120-w...the one we previously mentioned is probably the best bet:
http://www.short-circuit.com/combo/picop...-acdc.html ?
$53 and comes with the brick..basically an all in one solution..i'll just have to buy the molex->atx12v adapter and a SATA splitter for the SSD and a bd-rom and the system will be setup, quiet and more importantly, adequately powered?
It *should* be good as you probably won't exceed 96W for any length of time if at all.
Speaking of this quiet topic, do you think a case fan is necessary for my setup? Just trying to think of anything that I may have missed for silent options..
(2012-10-16, 03:12)truthlesshero Wrote: Speaking of this quiet topic, do you think a case fan is necessary for my setup? Just trying to think of anything that I may have missed for silent options..
If you install one of these "Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B or COOLER MASTER GeminII", you might get by without a case fan...

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
alright..i'm thinking of switch the cooler...i probably wont' though, since the 5600k is much quieter than my old set up, i'm probably good to go, after i get my picopsu..hehe
Do you have a Kill-a-Watt meter that you'll be able to measure power consumption with?
Nice to know there is another 120mm low profile cooler.... COOLER MASTER GeminII.... I hope to hear some reviews from people who get it....

would like to know what RAM fits under...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on PSU0