timeshifting
I know this is a new feature of xbmc, I am not trying to be demanding just wondering if this is being Worked on or planned for vdr ?
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Yes it is on the list but it requires a proper API change first. What we currently have is a quick and dirty approach. The API was adopted to what we had for FTR and MediaPortal in order to prevent regression for Frodo. This approach pauses the live stream which does not make much sense if you look at it from a generic view.
vdr does actually support time shift. We just need to play the file which is still recorded and growing. Doing it this way makes much more sense. It would also cover the use case that you can start to view a recording which has not yet finished.
I thought I had read somewhere on github you were working on it.

Thanks for the quick answer and all your hard work.

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
We have discussed this on github. I don't think it makes much sense to put a lot of effort in implementing timeshift with the current API. I rather do it right with a proper API change.
Currently I am figuring out a way to bring the vdr's OSD to XBMC. There's a lot of administration of vdr which can best been done through the OSD.
(2012-10-27, 09:51)FernetMenta Wrote: We have discussed this on github. I don't think it makes much sense to put a lot of effort in implementing timeshift with the current API. I rather do it right with a proper API change.
Currently I am figuring out a way to bring the vdr's OSD to XBMC. There's a lot of administration of vdr which can best been done through the OSD.

Oh yes please... that would be REALLY great!
Which kind of timeshift is planned? At vdr-portal.de we always come into discussion if its enough to give the user the possibility to pause live-tv and to "unpause" it later or is it a "permanent timeshift", which means that you can always rewind live-tv? (i would highly prefer the last one...Wink)

regards, jennix
I would like to make this configurable and leave to option to the user. The latter require that the stream is always buffered to disk which might not be desired. There's various triggers to start "timeshift"

1)
Play a recording which is still recording

2)
Pause live stream

3)
When starting playback of a channel (check config if buffering is desired)

There might be more but I have just started to think about it.
(2012-11-01, 16:36)FernetMenta Wrote: I would like to make this configurable and leave to option to the user. The latter require that the stream is always buffered to disk which might not be desired. There's various triggers to start "
[...]
3)
When starting playback of a channel (check config if buffering is desired)
I'm very, very happy with your decision to leave this option by the users. Big Grin

I would like to have the third option very much, and because my personal use wouldnt need a very long time of playback to catch (i just need something to have the option to rewind some seconds if i missed something, because the phone is ringing or my daughter is babbling around Wink ), i would like to see an option to buffer it into the ram, if there is enough of it. An ubuntu with 8 or 16 Gig of Ram (which isnt much expensive today) with xbmc and vdr at the same machine at the same time shouldnt use more than one gig, and all of the rest could be used for the buffer, so even if you have Full-HDTV in good quality you would get a plenty of time to rewind...

regards, jennix

Hi FernetMenta,

are you talking about vnsi or xvdr in that case? Because timeshift is already work with xvdr, if I got that right (did not try it yet)?
Quote:are you talking about vnsi or xvdr in that case

I am talking about vnsi.

Currently I am reworking stream handling of vnsi to adopt to recent changes in XBMC. This will avoid any glitches in case of stream (PMT) changes. Next I will bring the VDR OSD to the LiveTV setup dialog. Then I will care about "timeshift"
Wow, bringing the VDR OSD to the LiveTV setup dialog would be a great thing. With that it will be possible to configure the vdr server directly from the client. So I would not have to go down into the cellar :-) for changing the configuration. Could you be so kind and shoot a message to the forum, when this is available? I would like to test it.
Hi,

parallel development in vnsi and xvdr is ridiculous and a huge waste of time.

I'm not aware about the background...but...come on guys...talk with each other, come together and develop ONE VDR addon together. That would be the best for everybody Nod

Cheers Louis
@louis its my understanding that the developer of xvdr decided to take his addon and go the unofficial route (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108935) while vnsi is the official VDR addon for XBMC maintained by FernetMenta

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-11-01, 16:36)FernetMenta Wrote: The latter require that the stream is always buffered to disk which might not be desired.

What about timeshift to ram ?

PXE, SDCard/USB Builds would be able to timeshift too. Besides that hdd isn´t under load. Even systems with 2gb ram could have ~1gb to timeshift. Should be enough for non hd,
I will make this configurable, either ram or disk.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
timeshifting2