Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD
Hi Guys

Ok this is going to be a stupid question but here goes.

I am running a Acer Revo R3610 on Windows 7 with XBMC. This is connected Via HDMI to a amp with HDMI passthrough.
Here comes the stupid part. How do i know if this is working with Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD. I have started to put movies on with TrueHD and DTS-HD and i get sound but i dont see the
red icon for TrueHD or DTS-HD sign on the amp. I do see the Red icon when i play normal Dobly Digital or DTS on the Amp. Yes the Amp is able to play TrueHD & DTS-HD.

If its as simply as you would not hear sound if the Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD was not working? if so then sorry for the stupid question and I will go and hang my head in shame.

Cheers
The ION chipset doesn't support HD audio.

The ION 2/Next Generation ION does though.
Hi plupien (and all)

Good info thanks for that.

Silly question time, what small form factor machines have the ION2 chipset? (eg. revo / zbox) or are none available?

I ask as i am looking to build a HTPC around a small factor machine but i need to playback 1080p content with DTSMA / True HD sound passed through to my amp.
thanks for any help Smile
(2012-11-21, 18:22)Luvas uk Wrote: I am running a Acer Revo R3610 on Windows 7 with XBMC. This is connected Via HDMI to a amp with HDMI passthrough.
Here comes the stupid part. How do i know if this is working with Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD.
If you are bitstreaming TrueHD/DTS-HD, you'll see TrueHD/DTS-HD on the little AVR display screen......for it to bitstream HD audio, your HTPC, AVR and software have to support HD audio.....you can check my signature below on "How to bitstreaming........" for more detail....

(2012-11-21, 22:52)SOSAGES Wrote: I ask as i am looking to build a HTPC around a small factor machine but i need to playback 1080p content with DTSMA / True HD sound passed through to my amp.
thanks for any help Smile
The lease expensive build for bitstreaming HD audio would be these "Intel G540 and AMD A4-5300"......for a little more, I"m suggesting this "AMD A6-5400K".....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-21, 22:54)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-21, 18:22)Luvas uk Wrote: I am running a Acer Revo R3610 on Windows 7 with XBMC. This is connected Via HDMI to a amp with HDMI passthrough.
Here comes the stupid part. How do i know if this is working with Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD.
If you are bitstreaming TrueHD/DTS-HD, you'll see TrueHD/DTS-HD on the little AVR display screen......for it to bitstream HD audio, your HTPC, AVR and software have to support HD audio.....you can check my signature below on "How to bitstreaming........" for more detail....

Hi Bluray

Ok so i take it that even though i am hearing sound my AMP must be doing something with it to change to standy DTS or Dobly then?

Thanks
(2012-11-22, 10:55)Luvas uk Wrote:
(2012-11-21, 22:54)bluray Wrote:

Hi Bluray

Ok so i take it that even though i am hearing sound my AMP must be doing something with it to change to standy DTS or Dobly then?

Thanks
The sound you heard are decoded by HTPC.....

(2012-11-21, 18:22)Luvas uk Wrote: Hi Bluray

Thanks

Did you enable DTS-HD and Dolby True HD under XBMC Audio settings?
Bluray

Ok so what you are saying is that the Revo is decoding the film from DTS-HD or Dolby-TrueHD into another format?
If i get a HTPC that can do DTS-HD or Dolby-TrueHD that will be passed to my amp?

Waiting485

Yes all enabled in XBMC.
Luvas, what he is saying is this.
Your hardware is unable to decode TrueHD or DTS-HD.
This is limited by your ION gpu.

So XBMC even though you have the options enabled, your hardware cannot play those formats.
As such, its automatically downgrading it into DTS...

Make sense?

And yes, if you get one of the options BluRay mentioned above you can decode and pass TrueHD and DTS-HD to your amp no probs.
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
Hi SaveIIm

Ok thanks for the info.
So XBMC is downgrading the sound but my amp is not seeing it as DTS or Dolby as its not the raw format i take it.
If i play a film that is only DTS or Dolby in the first place my amp does.

Hope that makes sense.
interesting and useful info
am i right in thinking the Revo L80 and Zbox ID84 have no issues bitstreaming?
Sosages,

Yup the Zbox uses a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M
So that would be fine I believe.
The Revo uses Intel HD Graphics
Which I think is able to bitstream HD audio now.
I know there was a period of time when it couldn't but I think it can now.

But I dont have either system so dont quote me.
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
Ok so looks like I will have to update my HTPC

Been looking a system that uses this http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/sapph...-20110113/
Would that be ok for what i am trying to do?

Or i have 2 HP microservers here running my file storage so thinking could buy another N40L with a passive graphics card?
(2012-11-23, 12:53)SavellM Wrote: Sosages,

Yup the Zbox uses a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M
So that would be fine I believe.
The Revo uses Intel HD Graphics
Which I think is able to bitstream HD audio now.
I know there was a period of time when it couldn't but I think it can now.

But I dont have either system so dont quote me.
To late i just quoted you Smile

Thank you again for the info.

I happened to be reading that the zbox works fine but some users had reported they couldnt get xbmc on it to use the hardware for HD video playback and had to use software and that (frankly) sucked.
Is this the atom or geforce side of things being odd do you think?
(2012-11-23, 10:47)Luvas uk Wrote: Bluray

Ok so what you are saying is that the Revo is decoding the film from DTS-HD or Dolby-TrueHD into another format?
LPCM....

(2012-11-23, 10:47)Luvas uk Wrote: If i get a HTPC that can do DTS-HD or Dolby-TrueHD that will be passed to my amp?
When you have HTPC that support bitstreaming HD audio, HD audio will be transmitted digitally in its original format (un-molested) to AVR (amp) for decoding and processing....

(2012-11-23, 14:16)Luvas uk Wrote: Been looking a system that uses this http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/sapph...-20110113/
Would that be ok for what i am trying to do?
E350 is under power....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD0