3D mkv playback
Hi All,

I have been looking through these forums as well as other website and I cannot find a straight answer to the following question.

Can XBMC "Eden" playback 3d mkv files without dropping frames, stuttering etc? I have seen that it can play them back as side by side but I keep hearing about performance issues. The files, if it helps, are stated as being side by side 1080p. Don't know if this is full or half but that's what it says.

Please, if anyone could help with a straight answer to this is would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Coxroach1
Welcome to forums... Smile

Straight answer

NO

uNi
Just as I finished writing this post my first 3d mkv download finished. Just tried it and it worked but did seem to miss a frame every now and then, or perhaps just stutter, not sure which.

Is this the reason you have said no?
XBMC does not play 3d files, you need a external player. Its probably not a real 3d file.

uNi
Xbmc plays 3d files just fine.
It plays side by side and over under (SBS is how SKY, BBC and the LG online 3D database transmit 3D)

As long as your file is half SBS (1080p) then xbmc will play it EXACTLY as it plays any other 1080p file.

Depending on the power of your HTPC etc a stutter could be due to the CPU being taxed (if not enabled dxva) and/or a tv that does not support 23.937 if the file is encoded that way and you have enabled change refresh rate etc..

A dropped frame on a SBS file is the same if it were non SBS, it could be a bed encode as well. Lots of things it could be.

I back up my 3D files to O/U and they play incredibly well. I have dxva2 enabled, change refresh rate to match video, sync to audio and bit stream the audio. I also enable true full screen. I get the odd dropped frame but not enough to cause any issues when watching.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=sbs

Anyways

uNi
That's an old and very specific guide from 2011, It wasn't created specifically because xbmc wouldn't play them, it was an auto detect issue and sterioscic player issue.

XBMC plays and treats any 3D MKV (SBS/OU) EXACTLY the same as it plays and treats any other standard 1080p MKV file. There are many of users that use xbmc for 3D content.

Sky transmit in H-SBS, as do LG, BBC and other online facilities. Games are also played using OU or SBS... ALL of these afore mentioned methods are fully supported and functional in xbmc and play 100% exactly the same as ny other 1080p file... Because... They are just 2D 1080p files... You just have to manually switch your tv into 3D SBS mode or 3D OU mode...

Sheesh....

Edit:
Read the 2012 xbmc wiki for crying out loud, stop posting mis information!
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...#3D_movies

Or here where loads of us discuss 3D movies in xbmc!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141622
@DerekCuster

Quite a rude and uncalled for reply on your part (you have since edited your post)... Simple links would have sufficed

thx

uNi
I thank you both for your input, don't think offense was intended.

Regarding the info on what settings I should use dxva2, audio settings etc, is there a fairly simple guide to this kind of configuration?

Thanks again
(2012-11-25, 19:13)Coxroach1 Wrote: I thank you both for your input, don't think offense was intended.

Regarding the info on what settings I should use dxva2, audio settings etc, is there a fairly simple guide to this kind of configuration?

Thanks again
For us to properly help you to configure all the standard configurations in XBMC, you have to provide hardware and software info....

My suggestion to the posts above- if you don't like somebody post, you can simply ignore it. There is no need to call out other or you can simply say "please reiterate your post or please post helpful link". I notices so often that people take thing too personal in here......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi,
My post is not rude or uncalled for?
I never/have not edited the content of my post (except to add a link to the wiki for source purposes) and any statement suggestion otherwise is inaccurate and a fabrication.
You posted inaccurate information on 3 occasions, I was merely correcting that, I'm sorry you were wrong Undecided

If you happen to take offence to someone correcting you, then perhaps you should not post your opinion as fact on topics you are not 100% sure about? Just Sayin'...

I can't be held responsible for you taking offence to being proved wrong/incorrect on a particular topic, that's your responsibility I'm afraid. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise.

@OP
For me, to get perfect 3D playback I do the following:

Enable- DXVA2
Enable- Sync To display
Enable- Sync via Audio Clock
Disable - Use full screen window instead of true full screen (so enable true full screen)

I also bit stream audio, however, as bluray suggested, we would need to know your specs to give you the best configuration for your setup.

Post your specs and if they are similar to mine, I'll post my full options/config for you to try Smile

(2012-11-25, 23:23)DerekCuster Wrote: If you happen to take offence to someone correcting you, then perhaps you should not post your opinion as fact on topics you are not 100% sure about? Just Sayin'...

I can't be held responsible for you taking offence to being proved wrong/incorrect on a particular topic, that's your responsibility I'm afraid. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise.
+1.....

(2012-11-25, 23:23)DerekCuster Wrote: @OP

Enable- DXVA2
Enable- Sync To display
Disable - Use full screen window instead of true full screen (so enable true full screen)

I also bit stream audio, however, as bluray suggested, we would need to know your specs to give you the best configuration for your setup.

Post your specs and if they are similar to mine, I'll post my full options/config for you to try Smile
Are your configurations for AMD?

(2012-11-25, 23:56)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 23:23)DerekCuster Wrote: If you happen to take offence to someone correcting you, then perhaps you should not post your opinion as fact on topics you are not 100% sure about? Just Sayin'...

+1.....

Enable- DXVA2
Enable- Sync To display

Hi blu,
Yea, my configuration is for an AMD GPU and so far it's working almost flawlessly.... Well, Good enough to not annoy me at least Smile

I have my HD audio bit streaming, and I have set my setup to do the least possible processing of my video and most of that is done on the GPU.

I only have a few 3D films, but I backed them up and tested SBS and OU. As hard as this may be for some to hear, OU gives me a much better 3D film (cleaner, less cross talk, more depth, smoother etc) than SBS so I'm keeping my files backed up in OU as it really suits my eyes better (or maybe my tv is just a bit better at OU than SBS)

Audio is perfect with the Daniela build, video drops an odd fare here and there, but after looking at the chain and how much unnecessary work xbmc does to video, I don't think that will ever be fixed until the devs change the core of xbmc and how it deals with video..

For example, if you have a film encoded in yuv (16-235) xbmc will convert it to RGB and expand it to 0-255 Undecided then it will hand it to the renderer/gpu to then convert it again to ycbcr (in my case) and then compress it back to 16-235, then this will pass down the hdmi and be converted again by the tv to either RGB 16-235 or whatever your tv supports.

I'd much prefer xbmc to play a file in RGB/yuv/ycbcr etc and decode it in its native format, leaving it completely untouched, passing it to the gpu to then convert it to what the display expects. This would provide much better results for calibration, less conversion and molestation of video signal, less unnecessary steps and overall better quality video results.. Until then, I don't mind the odd dropped frame Big Grin

Are you an amd user too? Do you use similar settings?
(2012-11-26, 11:17)DerekCuster Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 23:56)bluray Wrote:

+1.....

Enable- DXVA2
Enable- Sync To display

Hi blu,
Yea, my configuration is for an AMD GPU and so far it's working almost flawlessly.... Well, Good enough to not annoy me at least Smile
That is what I thought, because that configuration is not going to work well with Intel iGPU. Here is how I configured my HTPC's- Simplify XBMC configurations......

(2012-11-26, 11:17)DerekCuster Wrote: Are you an amd user too? Do you use similar settings?
I uses both Intel and AMD.....

Again, thanks for the great discussion.

Can i confirm, when you talk about an AMD system or an Intel system are you referring to CPU or GPU? as I have Intel CPU and AMD GPU

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D mkv playback0