Req Sync media for offline use
I would like to see a feature to sync defined media-files to my mobile device.

For example:
I use XBMC on some clients in my home.
The media files are located on a NAS.

My mobile device (Android, iOS, Win8-Tablet, ...) connects via WiFi to my XBMC-Database (MySQL, UPNP) or just uses a local database to play files on my NAS.

Since mobile devices are created to be mobile, I would like to watch/listen content on the go.
Maybe while traveling by train.
In this case I get the metadata on my device, but cannot connect to my NAS at home, of cause.

It would be greate if I could sync my favorite media files to my mobile device.
Like I "pin" my mp3s in Google Music.

Befor I go out of my house I could select some movies or a TV-season and XBMC creates a local copy of this content on my mobile device.

To complete this feature XBMC should be able to "back-sync" some metadata when I am back home.
Like setting the "watched"-flag for the movie I just finished on the train.

I know this might be a complicate feature to develope.
But this could be a really big step to make XBMC the "ONE" media-player on every platform.

What do you think?
I think it already is the "ONE" media-player on every platform Wink *sry couldn't hold back*

And i also think its complicated and needs some serious thinking.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This is one of those "maybe one day" kind of features I'd love to see as well. Till then there's always http://trakt.tv/ and the trakt add-on for at least being able to sync watch status across devices that aren't directly hooked up.
+1 for mobile caching. No more Netflix!!
This would be awesome.
+1

Plex.tv have this feature.
Please add it to Kodi !
Just a follow up:

The Andoid App "Yatse" did get the feature I was looking for in the meantime.
And its is great!!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...widgetfree

But this only works between Kodi and Yatse.
There is still no "pining" inside of Kodi.
For example if I want to prepare a RasPi to take it with me.

Or the HTPC of my parents in a completely other location, connected via a slow VPN.
@GodzillaXP question - say you have a bluray iso, will this just download the iso to your mobile device or re-encode?
just download as there is no transcoding support yet in Kodi - but it will hopefully be added with one of our GSOC projects
I hope to sync my unwatched TV and movies so hope for Smart Playlist sync to android. Which includes the "watched" metadata on PC and Mobile. Used to use Mediamonkey to do this over wifi. Thinking it's not coming too soon to Kodi huh?
I think someone could potentially get really close to a smooth set up using add-ons. Since there are so many ways to sync watched status, either through a service or through a file/private network, and that could be used with just IMDB IDs to see what you would want copied on the other device.

In other words, you run such an add-on from your main HTPC and it figures out what video files to copy to the portable and/or offline device, and probably can even preform the file transfer as well. Then when you watch the video on the portable, it gets marked as watched on that portable library, and that information is synced back whenever the portable has a network connection (presumably when it is connected to copy more movie files).
I do hope it is added soon. I 'm not familiar enough to get it all together but maybe I'lll get tempted to look into it further. For now though, it looks like I'll stick with Mediamonkey as it does the sync well.

Pity because I can use Kodi for all my other daily media after adding the other addon's
So at the moment there is no way to copy all items in a "unplayed video" smart playlist to a sync folder is there? If that was possible I could do that, sync the folder to my android device in a 1 way sync over wifi. Have my play counts be in a common place for all devices (which I believe can be done already). So when I watch on my tablet the common database gets updated, and the Media PC then copy (and remove) files to the sync folder again because the "unplayed video" playlist updated..

Just confirming it's not possible at the current time, that there is no immediate plan of any progress to be able to sync/offline files between devices (android in particular), or if what I said above would be easy to implement (guessing the copying files based on smart playlist is the big hurdle)
@Pete_Repeat - this can be done with emby and their sync feature: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Sync
More and more missing great features are found in Emby. @Ned_Scott ever thought of joining forces with Team Emby?
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sync media for offline use1