Planning my first HTPC
I am planning to cut the cord finally after having enough of paying Cox 100 bucks a month for sub-standard entertainment. I contemplated Roku, WDTV, Apple TV etc. but it seems a dedicated Windows/XBMC box would best cover my needs.

My budget is about $300

1. I already have a spare 500 gb hybrid laptop hard drive and a 3 tb external hard drive and therefore need a system that can accommodate a 2.5" hard drive and has USB 3.0 ports. I do not need an optical drive.

2. Ideally I'd like a pre-assembled box that has everything but a hard drive. However I am not averse to assembling everything if it gives me better price/performance.

3. I would like Windows 7/8 on it with XBMC. My primary uses are uTorrent, Netflix, Amazon Prime and streaming online tv (CNN etc.) through my parents' Verizon FIOS login. I would also like to record some of the shows if possible.

What would be the best hardware for these requirements. I have just started my research and am hoping the experts here can point me in the right direction so I do not make any rookie mistakes just as I begin my cable-less journey.
I am planning to get this E-i5 AMD A6-5400K mini-ITX barebones HTPC from ecosmartpc.com for $330 and I guess I'll have to spend another $70 for RAM etc.

http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei5amdtrinity.html

Although it's a little over my budget, it looks like it has everything I need. Is the price worth it? Are there any other good alternatives out there?
Well if you buy them individually it will come out close to $300 depending on which PSU you go with.. so yea i would say the price is worth it.

sounds like it's what you're looking for.
(2012-12-04, 20:46)libbrichus Wrote: I am planning to get this E-i5 AMD A6-5400K mini-ITX barebones HTPC from ecosmartpc.com for $330 and I guess I'll have to spend another $70 for RAM etc.

http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei5amdtrinity.html

Although it's a little over my budget, it looks like it has everything I need. Is the price worth it? Are there any other good alternatives out there?
How about SSD and Windows? Are you planning to playback any 3D content?

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-04, 21:34)bluray Wrote: How about SSD and Windows? Are you planning to playback any 3D content?

I already have an extra Windows 7 license which I am planning to upgrade to Windows 8 once I install it. (Does Windows 8 play well with XBMC?)

As for the SSD, I currently have a Hybrid Seagate Momentus 500 gb 2.5" hard drive which has 4gb worth of SSD. Since this case has two 2.5" HD slots, I will get a 60gb SSD on a later date if I feel the performance on the regualr HD is lagging.

What capacity do you suggest for the RAM?

Also, is there a way to record streaming TV on this box through a software even though it doesn't have a video capture card.
(2012-12-04, 21:41)libbrichus Wrote:
(2012-12-04, 21:34)bluray Wrote: How about SSD and Windows? Are you planning to playback any 3D content?

I already have an extra Windows 7 license which I am planning to upgrade to Windows 8 once I install it. (Does Windows 8 play well with XBMC?)

As for the SSD, I currently have a Hybrid Seagate Momentus 500 gb 2.5" hard drive which has 4gb worth of SSD. Since this case has two 2.5" HD slots, I will get a 60gb SSD on a later date if I feel the performance on the regualr HD is lagging.
For blu-ray playback, you will not see any quality improvement using SSD.....

(2012-12-04, 21:41)libbrichus Wrote: What capacity do you suggest for the RAM?
4GB is all you need for HTPC....

(2012-12-04, 21:41)libbrichus Wrote: Also, is there a way to record streaming TV on this box through a software even though it doesn't have a video capture card.
No, you'll need this "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250"......

(2012-12-04, 21:41)libbrichus Wrote: Also, is there a way to record streaming TV on this box through a software even though it doesn't have a video capture card.

If you want to keep your build small, you can get a network tuner such as the SiliconDust HDHomeRun. I have one of those as well as the "Prime" which is the CableCard version. It's nice because any PC on the network can access the tuners and it sits outside the box letting me use small cases. I have the E-i5 case for my bedroom HTPC for instance.

I picked up a couple of those hybrid HDDs for family builds. It seemed a great way to get some SSD performance but still have room for photos, videos, etc. since these are going to be their main PCs.

If you need any further information on the E-i5 A6-5400K barebones, please ask away.
(2012-12-04, 21:55)bluray Wrote:
No, you'll need this "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250"......

(2012-12-04, 23:14)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

If you want to keep your build small, you can get a network tuner such as the SiliconDust HDHomeRun. I have one of those as well as the "Prime" which is the CableCard version. It's nice because any PC on the network can access the tuners and it sits outside the box letting me use small cases. I have the E-i5 case for my bedroom HTPC for instance.

I picked up a couple of those hybrid HDDs for family builds. It seemed a great way to get some SSD performance but still have room for photos, videos, etc. since these are going to be their main PCs.

If you need any further information on the E-i5 A6-5400K barebones, please ask away.

Noob here! Could someone please describe the difference between a tuner card (as bluray described in the quote above) vs. the SiliconDust HDHomeRun (as dougie fresh discussed)? Am I correct in my thinking that bluray's suggestion is simply internal to a htpc and that dougie's suggestion is external?

Both of these would allow me to watch and record tv, yes?

Also, what is the difference between the HDHomeRun vs HDHomeRun PRIME?

THANK YOU! I am excited to start my first htpc (and first custom-built computer), but am lacking a bit of knowledge. Any suggestions would be fantastic.
(2012-12-10, 21:37)jmkeets Wrote: Noob here! Could someone please describe the difference between a tuner card (as bluray described in the quote above) vs. the SiliconDust HDHomeRun (as dougie fresh discussed)? Am I correct in my thinking that bluray's suggestion is simply internal to a htpc and that dougie's suggestion is external?

THANK YOU! I am excited to start my first htpc (and first custom-built computer), but am lacking a bit of knowledge. Any suggestions would be fantastic.
I never own the HomeRun TV tuner, but it seem to have very similar option as the Internal TV card and USB TV turner. Both can watch live TV and record it......

I preferred the internal TV tuner, because I don't want to see another box in my entertainment center......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-10, 22:29)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 21:37)jmkeets Wrote: Noob here! Could someone please describe the difference between a tuner card (as bluray described in the quote above) vs. the SiliconDust HDHomeRun (as dougie fresh discussed)? Am I correct in my thinking that bluray's suggestion is simply internal to a htpc and that dougie's suggestion is external?

I never own the HomeRun TV tuner, but it seem to have very similar option as the Internal TV card and USB TV turner. Both can watch live TV and record it......

I preferred the internal TV tuner, because I don't want to see another box in my entertainment center......

Thank you!
A network tuner is co-located with the router/switch which (unless you're my parents) isn't usually located in the entertainment center. In my case, that's in the basement. There is also a USB version that can live next to your HTPC. One of the nice things I've found about having my HDHR and HDHR Prime in the basement near the route/switch/cable modem is that's right where the CableCo.'s coax comes in off the street so it's where the signal is the best.

There's definite advantages and disadvantages to each so like anything else you have to weigh all the pros and cons to decide what's best for you.

The difference between the HDHomeRun and the HDHomeRun Prime is the former can tune over-the-air signals and clearQAM while the latter uses a CableCard to tune QAM signals. The latter is needed if you plan to watch subscription cable content. Since my CableCo. still provides the networks in clearQAM and those are what we watch the most I can use my HDHR's two tuners first and save the three HDHR Prime's tuners for subscription content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Planning my first HTPC0