Asus EEE PC + XBMC +linux
Hi guys,

I must say i Love XBMC, currently using it on Asus EEE PC on windows XP and it's running fine, although with few setbacks (windows issues) i decided to fully dedicate this netbook to XBMC.

So i wanted to install some distro with XBMC.

My goal is this:
1. To have working WiFi (with static IP config)
2. To have proper dual monitor setup (TV out as main and EEE as secondary - this is how I use it atm on windows) so i can watch it on TV as soon as it boots. - or any kind of setup that would output xbmc to TV upon boot.
3. To access SMB shares and to map it on boot so XBMC can use it as source for library
4. To boot directly into XBMC (I dont need any gui for linux as I wont be using it for anything else).

I need your help since I don't know which distro to use nor how to set it (not a linux user but booting windows is overkill for XBMC only on this PC)
Should i go with ubuntu + xbmc, or to use XBMCbuntu or something third.

Thank you.

Welcome to forums.

Considering your not a Linux user and considering Linux will require some work for wifi at least via terminal (wicd curses search forums).

Try openelec (developer builds for newer xbmc) for novice friendly install (idk how that handles wifi)

However with openelec you wont be able to access the underlying Linux and change configuration files.

In this case recommend a minimal ubuntu install + xbmc like on my signature (its better than xbmcbuntu even if a bit more steps involved.) (less crap installed also)

wifi theres a xbmc addon use wicd-curses

Dual monitor idk look at forums (use search)

Both openelec and xbmc+minimal install will boot directly to xbmc

For the rest look at the wiki. or use forums search thers tons of info and Im not repeating or replacing search.

uNi

Thx for pointers.

I ran into trouble with sound.
Everything seemed to work but i had no sound on laptop speakers, hoevever my keyboard fn keeys seem to have function for volume up and down. When i plug in 3.5mm jack i cant get home screen after reboot and also no sound. I tried chnaginh to hdmi audio in settings and now im stuck on black home screen. Anyway to reset it and any hints with audio.

Also to mention that i could see audio card during script setup and also in xbmc setup, though it seems to be wrongly detected as intel, while it realtek.

Thx
Ok found why there was no audio, main chanel muted in alsamixer....

Ok so ineed to find a way to reset xbmc somehow to default audio outpu so i can get home screen, and also to figure out why it crashes when i plug in 3.5mm jack
Ah the olde muted channels trick? try to delete guisettings.xml...

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus EEE PC + XBMC +linux0