Surround Sound on different types of audio files
Anyone else seeing problems with the rear surround channels being mapped to the front channels?

If I play a file with a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track (640 kbps) then the surround channels work fine.

If I play a file with DTS (1536kbps), Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio or WMV with 5.1 then the rear surround channels only play on the respective front speakers.

I'm running Frodo Beta 3 but I've been seeing this behavior since Frodo Beta 1.
OK looks like at least someone else is seeing something similar: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147170

Does anyone know if the sound mapping is editable?
The sound map is not editable in XBMC. Not aware of anything between B1 and B3 that would have changed the mapping though.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
It hasn't worked correctly worked for me using any of the Frodo beta's. My install is XBMCbuntu (Eden) that has been upgraded to Frodo using 'apt-get install xbmc'. Have also upgraded the Nvidia ION drivers as per the wiki instructions (currently at 304.64). My hardware is an Acer Revo 3610 that is connected to the sound system via Optical.

Also have tried booting from the xbmcbuntu-12.00-beta2.NVIDIA.iso and get the same results.
this hasn't worked in any AE build I've tried (i have a gt240 with the latest beta and nvidia drivers as of yesterday). AE is brilliant, but the 7.1 mapping is off. I've been running the AE builds wsnipex has been posting and this issue has been there since I've started using it. I've been too busy with work to post about it.

7.1 Issues were ignored previously because there are very few soundtracks, but downmixing of 7.1 is an important feature, as more people have 5.1 instead of 7.1. I will confirm which channels go where if I can. I just think whatever reads the headings isn't reading them properly (but I have no coding knowledge to be able to check).
sorry for the double post, but I've just realised we are talking about seperate issues!

Waituna is experiencing channel mapping which is wrong on the ION chipset, this used to be fixable with an asound.conf but because AE does not allow a custom output for sound there is noway to choose the custom output described in asound.conf as your sound output. I realise this is an nvidia oversight, but there is no workaround currently (that i know of), this happens with anything above 2.0. Bitstreaming solves this issue, but it means decoding of anything above 2.0 is useless, and this means TrueHD and FLAC decoding.

I am experiencing mismapped channels ONLY on >5.1 content. All 5.1 files decode with correct channel mapping. If I decode 7.1 (I have no 6.1 to try) then the channels are all-over the place. EVERYTHING 5.1 works fine. This is on a GT240.
EAC3 (DD+) has a wrong mapping on my (AMD based) 5.1 setup: Rear Channels play on Front.
Normal AC3 is correct.
(2012-12-09, 11:06)neil.j1983 Wrote: sorry for the double post, but I've just realised we are talking about seperate issues!

Waituna is experiencing channel mapping which is wrong on the ION chipset, this used to be fixable with an asound.conf but because AE does not allow a custom output for sound there is noway to choose the custom output described in asound.conf as your sound output. I realise this is an nvidia oversight, but there is no workaround currently (that i know of), this happens with anything above 2.0. Bitstreaming solves this issue, but it means decoding of anything above 2.0 is useless, and this means TrueHD and FLAC decoding.

I am experiencing mismapped channels ONLY on >5.1 content. All 5.1 files decode with correct channel mapping. If I decode 7.1 (I have no 6.1 to try) then the channels are all-over the place. EVERYTHING 5.1 works fine. This is on a GT240.

I'm pretty sure my Eden install was completely stock - I didn't configure an asound.conf (unless the XBMCbuntu 11.0 installer was doing it). If I boot my system from the XBMCbuntu 11.0 disk (Live), configure the correct sound outputs, I can then play any MKV with DTS 1536kbps or WMV 5.1 file correctly. I haven't been able to get Frodo to play any of these files correctly.

Any news on this? Got the same issue. Sad
HTPC: AMD A6 5400K | 4GB DDR3 | Digital Devices Cine C2/T2 (V7)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Surround Sound on different types of audio files0