Zbox ID41 video stuttering
Hello everyone

I'm running Eden on mythbuntu 12.04 64bit and getting less than stellar video playback on HD files. Running driver 295.40.

I also have mythtv 0.25 running, and it does a fine job with hd video, so I don't understand why xbmc doesn't.

It cannot produce smooth video even on dvd iso's.

720p streaming video is a stutterfest too, mostly unwatchable. I'm assuming vdpau is in play, as looking out the debug output, cpu usage seems fairly low.

Am I missing something? Would a newer nvidia driver improve things that much? I seem to remember having to search to find this one so the system wouldn't freeze...

Thanks
I have one of these (Zbox ID41) running XBMCbuntu. Was running Eden but now Frodo RC1 - never had any stuttering problems (most videos I play are 720p).
Currently I'm running NVidia driver version 304.64.
OK thanks

I'll try a newer driver and see if it fixes it!
Yes - that all looks much better

thanks to waituna!

I guess 295.40 is one to miss on this hardware...
I'm pretty happy that the streaming etc is watchable, but I'm still mystified as to why the dvd-iso's won't play right - it's like the machine is choking on it. I prefer to keep as iso's on some titles so I can still access the menus etc.
could be a refresh rate problem. DVDs can come as 23,976p, 24p, 25p, 29,9p, 50i
Make sure you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" in Xmbc video settings and check if your TV supports the needed refresh rates. You will need at least 24p, 50p and 60p
Note that playback of DVDs does not make use of hw acceleration.
(2012-12-13, 18:51)FernetMenta Wrote: Note that playback of DVDs does not make use of hw acceleration.

I would think that the culprit then, but I ran an iso with debugging on and the cpu usage never seemed to go above 20%.

How do well do iso files work across networks? - this machine gets all files from backend via gigabit switch. Although I have some other devices on the switch that may slow it down, I would have thought it still fast enough.

TV is brand new Sony Bravia and I'm assuming frame rate support is not an issue.
Would it make any difference if you played the iso from a local drive?
Yes - that is my next troubleshooting step - if it plays fine locally, then I probably have an issue of non gigabit devices on my gigabit switch, bringing the speed down too much. I'd still think that 10/100 though is good enough anyway...

I'll report back shortly (soon as I can find an external drive to test on...)
Tried an external HD and the same stuttering occurred....
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zbox ID41 video stuttering0