SMB Invalid Argument after ReInsall Win7
Hi

I've the following problem. May be one can help.

I've my Movie Disks connected to a Win7 Workstation.
I'm running my xbmc Eden on an ATV2 and connected the Disks via Network Share,

Now I've bought new hardware and installed a new Win7 on it.
The Workstation got the same Computername and the Same IP.
I made new shares with the same Names on that machine.

Now trying to reconnect xbmc with my library machine failed. (Invalid argument)
The I tried to add complete new sources. I see the machine, can access the machine and see my shares.
But trying to connect the share gets the "invalid argument" error again.
The share are accessible by other Win7 machines from the network.

I re-installed XBMC completly on the ATV2, but the error stays ...

Now I have no further Idea, what I can do.

Anyone who has a hint for me ?

Last step would be to reset atv2 and start completly fresh.
But I would prefer to resolve the error

Thx @all

Anner
The problem is on the windows7 site not on atv2. There was something with making windows7 shares compatible - but i have no clue about windows - but there is something - maybe digging in google helps.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I've solved the Problem.

First I've uninstalled McAfee VSca and HIPS.
Then I disabled Win Firewall and Win Defender.
Nothing
Then I've tested new shares on the USB Drives
Nothing
Then I've tested different sort of Filesharing, Homenetwork, Workgroup etc on two different Win7 x64 Machines.
Nothing
THen I've tested new shares on local Disks instead of USB Drives...
Works Immediatley

Backing up the USB Disk, Formatting the Original USB Disk, Restoring the USB Disk - then I created the Shares again and it works.

Anyhow the error must have been a failure of NTFS, remembering some kind of SID Informations and denying the access on the new machine
Now it works fine

Thx a lot for the help
Sry, not completly solved ... so once again, .. perhaps anyone has an idea ....

XBMC is completly removed and fresh re-installed.

Shares are accessible via SMB from a Win7X64 Prof host until the first reboot.
After rebooting the win7-x64 Prof machine, the USB-Shares all responding with invalid argument while trying to access them
A fresh reformatted disk with a new share is accessbile until the next boot, then the share also responds with invalid argument.

anyone has an idea what's to do?
I'm going out of ideas ... (that's right in english?) .)
Have you check that the USB drive has the same drive letter Etc F:
Hi .)

Yes, USB Drives are always the same letter and I've verified that Hardware Paths are always the same while booting.

Actually (while I've given up):
USB Drive Shares aren't working anyway
Shares on local Disks are working fine.
There are no log entries or anything like this in Win System Log

Win Firewall was disactivated for tests - nothing
McAfee was completly uninstalled - nothing
Properties of Local Share and USB Share compared - nothing visible different-

Another thing I've recognized: Itunes Private Share (? - Privatfreigabe in German) isn't working. ATV2 and Computer tells me, everything is ok, but it won't work.

Actually I use as a workaround to copy the movies I want to see to the local shares, but that is not really ok, when you know how it might work.

Thx for your answer.)

Anner
Maybe this one will help you
it solved mine http://superuser.com/questions/141019/pe...-with-ntfs
As I can understand we both has the same configuration
I have my Lenovo Z570 8GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
Shared folders on local drive working fine.
Shared folder on external drive give that error.
Step 1 check here http://superuser.com/questions/141019/pe...-with-ntfs
After you make sure the permissions and the ownership are correct make a try form another windows PC or laptop by browsing the shared folder.
If not working go to your Windows 7 64 machine event viewer you will notice the following error under system log
Not enough server storage is available to process this command"
Event ID: 2011
Source: Srv
The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.
To fix it please follow :
1. Click on Start > Run > regedit & press Enter
2. Find this key name HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesLanmanServerParameters
3. Locate IRPStackSize
4. If this value does not exist Right Click on Parameters key and Click on New > Dword Value and type in IRPStackSize under the name.
5. The name of the value must be exactly (combination of uppercase and lowercase letters) the same as what I have above.
6. Right Click on the IRPStackSize and click on Modify
7. Select Decimal enter a value higher than 15(Maximum Value is 50 decimal) and Click Ok
8. You can close the registry editor and restart your computer.
Note you must restart your system to take effect
I am sure this will solve your problem as it did to me

Hi and thx very much Feegod

That solved the problem.
Changing the Security Settings for Admin and Everyone (I also tried with the XBMC User) created the Server-Error in the System Log
Changing the IPStackSize as described above made the USB Shares accessable.

THX THX THX THX THX Smile

I will now try backword to reduce NTFS Rights for Everyone (it's no good idea at all to give everyone Full Access) and will report, if the IP Stack Size is the main Problem, or if both steps are necessary .

Thx and have a nice weekend

Anner
You are welcome dude
Happy new year all
I checked it out with original USB Drives, that weren't formatted under the new OS and no changes in NTFS Security.

All works fine with this shares after changing the TCP/IP Stack for Win7-x64 Prof
The server Event in the Systemlog was first time reported after changing the root NTFS Security properties.

Thx again and Happy New Year .)

Anner
Hello,

I reply to this old post, as it is still an actual problem with Win10 and actual KODI version. The solution from Feegod still works and solved my problem.
It might help someone who still has the same problem.

Situation: PC on Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) with several USB drives connected. Drives resp. folders on these drives are shared in the network.
Access to this drives via Android Mobile Telephone and Android TV Box.
Using KODI V16 and ESfileExplorer

I added a new USB Drive recently to my PC.
I still could access the old drives/shares but the shares on the new drive I could not access from Android (Access with the Win10 Laptop from my friend worked).
Kodi error message was "Invalid argument" (ES showed the new share but did just nothing when selected)

I changed the registry parameter as suggested by Feegod and restarted my PC. Afterwards the access worked.
I've experienced the same problem:
- Amazon Fire TV / Kodi (latest version as of June 2016)
- SMB share from external drive (Win 10 Pro, all permutations of rights and ownership)
- Connected through 3.0 USB hub, but plugging directly into root, on-board USB hub had no effect
- Share worked fine for all network devices except Kodi on Amazon Fire TV
- Got "Invalid Argument" when trying to connect from Fire TV

THE FOLLOWING FIX WORKED FOR MY SETUP:
- Regedit
- Backup root registry key (right-click, Export)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
- Create a new DWORD called IRPStackSize (if it doesn't already exist). Set it to a decimal value of 50.
- Reboot PC/Server
- Reboot Fire TV
- After reboots (not before... I tested, just to see), I connected fine from Fire TV/Kodi, using local account username and password

When I tried the value posted elsewhere for IRPStackSize (21), it had no effect on the Fire TV "Invalid Argument" issue, but I did get an error in the Windows Event Log on the host machine that made me try the older maximum value of 50:
- Event 2011, srv: The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

I hope this helps some of you...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Invalid Argument after ReInsall Win70