Linux Can I upgrade from Eden to Frodo without issues?
I don't know my way around Linux all that well so when I do something wrong it tends to be catastrophic, in the sense that I don't know how to recover other than by reinstalling the operating system and all the software. So as you can probably guess, once I have a system working I'm very reluctant to mess with it.

Right now I am running XBMC Eden on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. This is running on an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 which has an optical audio output. I only mention that because when I first stared using this system I had a lot of problems getting multichannel sound to work properly, though that hasn't been as much of an issue with more recent versions.

The version of Eden I am currently using is from the repositories at http://ppa.launchpad.net/nathan-renniewa...ble/ubuntu and that repository is still enabled. I'm assuming I would have to disable that and change to some other source, correct?

The only reason I want to update to Frodo is because I just got a HDHomeRun and I would like the PVR support. But I don't want to break my system, nor lose all my data. I also want to have it upgrade automatically to any future release candidates and then to the final version of Frodo, but I don't want to be on a "development channel" where it would then start updating to betas of the next version. In other words, once I have the release version of Frodo I want to stop there, except for updates to Frodo itself.

So keeping that in mind, is it possible to do an in-place upgrade of XBMC to the current release candidate without any issues or should I just wait for the final release version? I'd really like to get on Frodo so I can schedule recordings in my HDHomeRun, and I already have Mythbuntu running on another system as a backend (I would never try to run it on the Revo, it still struggles occasionally while playing 1080p video). So my issue is accessing that from XBMC, and I did try the Mythbox add-on but was not able to get that to work correctly. I apologize if this has been asked before; I used the search but didn't find anything, but if you have a link to another post or thread that deals with this topic please post it in a reply and I'll go there.
Welcome to Forums.

See this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...remotes.29

How to upgrade see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...FDebian.3F

The info on those links answers your questions fully, and if your so "afraid" to break something either make a HDD backup of the complete install you can revert to or dont do anything.

There are no guarantees that everything will go without issues but then again it can happen.

uNi
I'm also not very confident in linux, and trying to upgrade Eden to Frodo running under 12.10 Quantal.

I followed the steps at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...de_process, but after running sudo apt-get upgrade (final step), I get the error:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
xbmc xbmc-bin
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

I've searched these forums for a thread on the subject, but this is the closest I could find. Please help! Smile
try

Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc.bin
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

uNi
(2013-02-07, 11:29)uNiversal Wrote: try

Code:

uNi

That's done it. Thanks. Smile
Good! I updated wki to remove xbmc before installing it clearly something is locking it.

uNi
hi Smile

i'm having trouble upgrading from eden, on ubuntu 11.04, i follow the wiki intructions and it still pulls eden rather than frodo,

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Unpacking xbmc-bin (from .../xbmc-bin_2%3a11.0~git20120321.14feb09-0ubuntu1~ppa1~natty_amd64.deb) ...

i had the ppa in sources.list so removed this entry and removed xbmc entries from the sources.list.d/ as well, but I don't think that i should have to upgrade the distro as well.

any ideas?
What Version of Ubuntu is that? Does it have packages published for it?

Also notice you are removing and inserting same ppa

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

Are you sure Frodo packages exist for your Ubuntu version and why are you removing and inserting same ppa?.

Edit there are No Frodo packages in Natty on official ppa. Natty is EOL. (End of Live)

you should be doing this Wiki is Very clear and explains to you that packages for Ubuntu previous version (EOL Ubuntu are on diffrent ppa's) see XBMC_v12_(Frodo)_FAQ#Where_can_I_get_Frodo_builds_for_older_Ubuntu_installations.3F (wiki)

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

uNi
(2013-02-09, 14:06)uNiversal Wrote: Edit there are No Frodo packages in Natty on official ppa. Natty is EOL. (End of Live)

yep! my bad... sleepy morning, i was just compiling from source, but thanx for the ppa, will make my head hurt less!

i think i was just a bit wary of adding a 3rd party ppa but meh

(2013-02-07, 11:29)uNiversal Wrote: try

Code:

uNi

I find it easier just to

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

when packages are held back.
(2013-02-09, 15:09)redtapemedia Wrote: I find it easier just to

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

when packages are held back.

No please, dont even go there. This is not good advice due to nature of command is 100% not advisable to Linux novices. Just because that command alone has a very destructive capability.

uNi

Hi
I too had difficulty in upgrading to frodo. It kept getting eden instead of frodo.
I've done the followings:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

On the last command, there were some errors/warnings like these:
<snip>
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-xv...ce/Sources 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-xv...6/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
</snip>

Please help. What did I miss? I've read the wiki document and followed instructions in section 3.1.

BTW, I'm running Crunchbang 11.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I upgrade from Eden to Frodo without issues?0