XBMCBUNTU no sound in desktop but sound in xbmc
Hey,

So this may seem like a really simple question but how do i change the sound output from analog to hdmi in the xbmcbuntu desktop? sound is working perfect in xbmc but no where else.

Thanks
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150628
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thats my aplay -l

still no luck when i changed the .asoundrc file

**i did change the settings as suggested to match card 0 device 3
Keep playing with the card and device numbers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
what is there to play with?
i don't even get sound through the analog plugs
sometimes getting the right card and device numbers in asound.conf is a black art. All i am saying is try a few different ones.

Also run alsamixer and make sure nothing is muted.
when i run alsamixer from xterm i get:
ALSA lib control.c:848Sadsnd_ctl_open_conf) type is not defined
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
so installed pulse audio and pulse audio volume control, selected my hdmi in the very user friendly menu, voila it works!
(2013-01-10, 08:10)Gombeek Wrote: so installed pulse audio and pulse audio volume control, selected my hdmi in the very user friendly menu, voila it works!

Let's hope XBMC still works!
I made the addtion of .asound.conf to /etc and I now have sound in XBMCUbuntu, thanks! Installing pulse audio caused problems for me in XBMC in Eden. (I'm on Frodo now). This should be in the wiki, I don't think it's there at least for Intel board audio setup.
Here's my settings

Code:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 7
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 7
}