scan for new content/item to library full refresh?
Hello guys

I have been searching/reading, but cant seem to find clarity about what these functions do/limitations/gotchas etc

It seems that if there is an item which has physically moved on the HD, or has been deleted, then XBMC does not correct this when performing these functions.
For example, I have many movies that have been deleted from the folder on my HD where I keep my videos... but they still show in XBMC after scanning for new content. It seems the only way to get the library to be accurate is to delete the database and start again, or to delete the items manually in xbmc, which id very much like to avoid because I do not keep track of the movies I have deleted.

I think the same thing happens with the music library "scan item to library" does not seem to correct paths if I have moved my physical MP3 files.

I'd love some xbmc professor to explain what these functions so, and if there is a way to have xbmc to "clean" the library when doing a scan.

Thanks guys,
Mark.
Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Clean library. There's also an advancedsetting.xml (wiki) option to do a "clean library" whenever you update the library. It's off by default to prevent XBMC from removing entries in situations like where a NAS might be disconnected by accident, or is taking a while to respond. You can also select an individual item in the library and bring up the contextual menu ("c" on a keyboard) to see a "remove from library" option.
Hi there Ned,
So will the "clean library" function not remove any existing items, only correct bad paths and remove ones that have been removed?

Cheers
Mark.
Correct. It will leave good entries for existing videos alone, but will remove entries for missing ones.
Hi Ned
Ok thanks, I will try that.
so...
I am guessing that ADDING new music/video using the scan will scan the entire music directory/folder, so it would be much faster to add new albums by putting them in a music/TEMP folder, scanning that TEMP item, and then moving the files from the temp folder to the music folder and then doing a "clean" ?

Thanks again!
Mark
Doing a clean doesn't fix paths if you move items. If it doesn't find a file where it previously knew it existed, it will remove that item from the library. So in your example, first having the album in a temp folder would server no purpose and would make it so you needed to scan it in to the library twice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
scan for new content/item to library full refresh?0