Multi-disc movie question
Hello everyone. I have spent the past week researching the methods by which people set up multi disc movies (like the LOTR extended trilogy for example).

Now normally, I copy my movies using dvdfab, and retain the dvd/bluray directory structure. so:
M:\Movies\The Crow\Video_TS\"movie stuffs"

All the threads I found on multi disc movies however suggested that I then take this folder structure, and use imgburn to then create an ISO out of it. And then do the same for the second disc.

So then I would have something like:
M:\Movies\Return of the King\Return of the King Disc 1.iso
M:\Movies\Return of the King\Return of the King Disc 2.iso

I did this with one of my movies, and it shows up only one time in the menu, but I now don't understand how to access to second disc.

If I were to let return of the king get to the stopping point on disc one, where it asks me to insert disc 2, how would I get xbmc to switch to the second disc?

It would be nice if there were two discs in a movie folder, if when starting the movie it asked which disc you would like to launch. maybe that is how it is supposed to work?

I am using Frodo RC3 on Windows 7 x64. I use dvdfab to rip and Media Center Master to create my movie.nfo files and download my poster/fanart.

Any clarity on how xbmc should be handling multi disc movies would be great, as all the threads and wiki's I have read so far only tell you how to name the files... not what to expect or how to access them within the actual program.
I use MAKEMKV to convert them to MKV files and then use mkvtoolnix to merge the two files. If you have the patience you can use handbrake to compress the MKV before merging.

I want to retain the menus, just like the rest of my collection. I know this can be done with full dvd/bluray images, and that is what I would like to figure out. Thanks though.
24 hour bump
What have you actually done and tested?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Well, I have tried the things I listed above....

I ripped the dvd to a folder, and then created an iso from that folder.

I then name the iso's as

I then run MCM on it to create the nfo files.

This allows XBMC to see the file. But I have no control over launching a certain disc, and I can't find any documentation anywhere on how XBMC actually handles this. The best thing I can tell is I read in one place that after one disc quite it launches the next, but this is not the case. And movies like Lotr don't actually quit when they are done anyways, they pause on a screen and suggest you put the next disc in the drive.

I really don't have any info to add that wasn't in my initial post. I explained what I've done and I asked my question.... What I have tested is what I have already written :/

I am seeking clarification on how XBMC is *supposed* to behave when it comes to two disc movies, and that should be simple information to obtain, but it's not documented anywhere. Once I know how it is supposed to behave, i can figure out a few more tests to try. Right now I'm shooting blindly. Sure, I got the movie to show up in XBMC, but I have no idea if it is seeing both ISO's or how to access the second one. And if it's not seeing the second iso, then I need to figure out how to make that happen.
....bump. I can't be the only person out there with a 2 disc movie?... can i?
I have my lord of the rings extended editions ripped to one mkv for each movie and named them "The Lord of The Rings - The Fellowship of The Ring -cd1" and "The Lord of The Rings - The Fellowship of The Ring -cd2". If you do this with each file it will merge them as one logically in your menu.
ok, but you *missed* the part where I said I want to retain my menus.

I had read that if I wanted to retain my menus, I should rip the dvd to a folder structure, and then make an ISO out of it. And then name them:

Here is another example. I have a 2 dvd collection of short animations called Phantom Museums by The Brother's Quay. The menu system allows you to browse them and read about them before launching, but it is spread across two dvd's.

In this case I HAVE to retain the menus, otherwise I just have a directory full of animations, and they all play back to back with no way to select which one you want.

So back to my original question, how do I retain my menus across a 2 disc movie?

If it is not already a feature, then XBMC should see the fact I have 2 isos, list them as one movie, and upon launch ask me which disc to launch. It already provides a prompt menu when you launch a bluray, asking what title to launch. This would simply ask which iso you want to launch.
I didn't really miss that. I honestly just ignored it. Is there a reason that having the menus is so important? XBMC is in itself a menu system why do you want to make multiple selections? I apologize if this sounds rude I really don't understand why you want the menus.
Did you read the whole example I gave about the Phantom Museums disc? That explains exactly why I need the menus.

Whats the point of answering my question if your going to ignore part of it. The second guy already basically said the same thing, the only difference being he merged his mkv files instead of stacking them.

Either way, it takes quite a lot of audacity to say, "I just ignored what you were asking because I can't see why you need it". Especially when I gave a very specific example of why I needed it.

And as far as Return of the King goes, if I rip just the movie, I loose access to all the extras, of which there are hours worth. Just because you don't watch them doesn't mean no one else wants to.

Stacked ISO's definitely used to be available. This here talks about it:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/226

Was it removed? If not, then why is it not working?
I am not trying to pick a fight with you but I would rather be honest and tell you that I did ignore that part. I was just offering you another option if you are unable to find the answer you want. I apologize for posting at all. Good luck with your search.
Go to movie info. Check the path displayed. Is it a stack:// ?

What do they display as when you browse the directory via Video->Files with Stacked on or off (see left hand menu)?

What happens when you select to play it?

What is in the Debug Log at that point?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yes, it displays as a stack under movie info.

When I go to play it, it launches the first disk every time. i have no way of accessing the second disk.

This is in the log file every time I go to launch the movie:

13:30:26 T:11932 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
13:30:57 T:2460 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 4 times.
13:30:57 T:2460 WARNING: XFILE::CFileFactory::CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(stack) in stack://M:\Movies\Phantom Museums\Phantom Museums Disc 1.iso , M:\Movies\Phantom Museums\Phantom Museums Disc 2.iso
13:30:57 T:2460 ERROR: file_open - Could not open input
13:30:57 T:2460 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: M:\Movies\Phantom Museums\Phantom Museums Disc 1.iso
13:30:57 T:2460 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
13:30:57 T:9752 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
13:30:57 T:9752 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
13:30:57 T:9752 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: playing a dvd with menu's
13:30:57 T:9752 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
13:30:57 T:9752 WARNING: could not find codec parameters for M:\Movies\Phantom Museums\Phantom Museums Disc 1.iso

if I read that right, even though it is creating a stack, it is basically saying it doesn't know how to handle this stack.
Here's what I did and it shows two separate DVDs,...where I can select Disc1 or Disc2

Lord_of_the_Rings_RETURN_OF_THE_KING.iso
Lord_of_the_Rings_RETURN_OF_THE_KING_BONUS.iso

Actually,..it stacks it,...so if I go into Movies,...I see LOTR folder that contains all 6 DVD.
3 Movie,..and 3 Bonus Material.
BTW,..I also wanted to see menu selections like you described.
I had pulled my hair out trying to get it to work,...I was trying the Disc1 and Disc2 thing,..but that failed.
Movie
Movie_Bonus

Works everytime!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-disc movie question0