• 1(current)
Skipping frames and Audio dropouts OpenElec 2.99 RC2
I cant seem to access the Openelec forum at the moment so hope to get some advice here.

I have just changed over my HTPC from Revo 3700 to Lenovo Q180 as it kept overheating. Also I have decided to go with Openelec rather than windows as fed up of tit always crashing.

I have installed the latest generic version of Openelec released for Frodo which is 2.99. I seem to be getting problems with playback of Video and audio. I know Linux has not had the smoothest ride with AMD/ATI gfx but I thought Openelec was the best choice as they have better support for xvba built in. My settings are adjust refresh rate to source, sync playback to display, audio is HDMI, Video 1080p. All things work for a short while then I get the odd audio drop and frame skip at the same time. Never had issues like this before under Xbmc so not sure what to do. I am connecting to WHS2011 server using smb, would NFS be better, although to me this does not seem network related as I would expect buffering with that.

Any help or tweaks appreciated.

I will post log if NFS does not help.

Lenovo Q180, 4GB ram, HD6400, Openelec 2.99 from USB.
double check your audio settings and post a debug log if the problem persists.
(2013-01-28, 13:03)wsnipex Wrote: double check your audio settings and post a debug log if the problem persists.

Only have one option for HDMI in audio for Passthrough, I have the HD audio formats turned off as that is not supported yet and have standard DD and DTS pass through on and LPCM.

Will post debug later when at home and it does it.

OK xbmc log can be found here http://pastebin.com/rT2BkaJq
, also noticed that when a file is resumed the first few seconds speed up and then it settles down.
As said on github:
Retry with a local file and get the line breaks of your logs fixed - this is really hard to read, thanks.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have the same problems and did some checks with fritsch on Openelec forum.
Samba, NFS, local file-> no difference
Every Openelec 3.x version has this Audio/Video problems on Q180.
The last known good version was a 1.95.x version.

My first try with Ubuntu was this Thread, with the same problems.
Currently im running a Ubuntu Minimal installation with older fglrx drivers (4.2.1103 ?) and there are no glitches.
Openelec runs with 4.2.1131

@wene:
dpkg -l |grep fglrx | pastebinit

1.95.x has in deed another Catalyst driver: 12.9Quantal Edition. I tested 12.10 fglrx a lot before inclusion in OE and found it more compelling, more stable and less memory consuming. It also fixed some bugs concerning sync.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-01-29, 10:00)fritsch Wrote: As said on github:
Retry with a local file and get the line breaks of your logs fixed - this is really hard to read, thanks.

Ok will repost logs when I get home.

Tried it locally already and go same result.
@fritsch:
i have posted them 3 weeks ago on the openelec forum

Ubuntu dpkg and dmesg
Openelec dmesg

OpenGL-Version:
4.2.11903 Ubuntu
4.2.11931 Openelec
@wene:
Your problem was _only_ after Suspend to RAM, when i remember correctly.
Yeah Ubuntu Quantal uses an older (beta) Edition with xorg 1.13 support - whereas OpenELEC ships fglrx 12.10 stable edition.
no, its also from coldboot and reboot.
the first positiv effect with your reboot script was a coincidence.
later i had more glitches (Looping Gui Sound) than without your script.

are you sure with the different versions ?
the only difference i can see:
the driver is the same, the Ubuntu Version ist 8 days older.

is it possible to use the older driver with openelec ?

Yes - I am sure, cause i pushed the code to OpenELEC for the change.

- We had severe problems with 12.9 Quantal especially on HD5000 series, where the Decoder could not be created anymore.
- Vertical Sync in external Applications was broken, so if you used the Opera Addon, the page would not render.

If you want to try this edition: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/OpenEL...99.tar.bz2

This is a never released build with fglrx 13.1 - my testers, including me, had problems with 50hz and Vertical Blank Sync - but you are free to give it a try - so we did not release it / upgrade the 12.10 driver.

PS: please give me a feedback.
Your link points to an Fusion Build, the Q180 runs on an Atom CPU. Can i use this version ?
Regarding the 50Hz/Vertical Sync Problem, you mean tearing ?
@wene:
Sorry: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/OpenEL...02.tar.bz2

The problem with this version was: if you enable Vertical Blank Sync, which is default and watch 50i or 50p channels when the Display is itself at 50hz - one CPU would go on 100%. This was the reason we did not bump fglrx version in OE.
tried it, also glitches

to clarify:

this fglrx Version is from Catalyst 13.1 ?
dmesg says fglrx 8.97.2 [Jul 4 2012]
OE3.0 RC2 is fglrx 9.0.2 [Sep 28 2012] from Catalayst 12.10

the working fglrx has version fglrx 9.0.2 [Sep 28 2012] from Catalyst 12.9, how can i use this version with OE 3.0 ?

• 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skipping frames and Audio dropouts OpenElec 2.99 RC20