Device Name Ignored When Installing Frodo
Hi

I did not have this issue with Eden. I first noted this with Frodo RC2 but as I was just testing wasn't too bothered however it is still occurring with the release version.

When installing XBMCBuntu from the install CD there is a dialog screen where you specify the username and password that XBMC will log in with. One of the options here is the ability to specify the name of the XBMC machine so it will have a unique name on the network. I have found that whatever I enter into this dialog box is ignored by the XBMC installation. I like to call my main XBMC box 'XBMCMedia' and any subsequent boxes by different names. Having installed Frodo on 2 machines I now have 2 machines called 'XBMCBUNTU' on my network as this is what XBMC has defaulted to after ignoring my specified device names.

I can still contact each individual machine over the network by it's IP address but it is a bit irritating. Is there a way to fix this behaviour?

Thanks
Further to this I have logged into the Ubuntu desktop and it appears here that the device shows up as the name I gave it which is XBMCMedia but when I do a ping -a on the IP address from my Windows 7 machine and search on the network devices under Explorer it comes back as XBMCBuntu.
What is doing your network's DNS resolution?

Or are you talking about via smb/cifs?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's just a basic workgroup I'm running at home as I like simple so it would be netbios taking care of it I would imagine. My ADSL router is acting as the DHCP server and I've checked on there in case it's doing something funky with DNS and there's a cache to flush or some such but no option for that exists.

I've checked with 2 other machines I have on my network that are both running Windows 7 and they both report the new box as XBMCBUNTU in explorer.

I'd rather not use Host files either.

Now that you mention SMB I wonder if it is the way Samba is configured on the machine that is causing it to appear on the network as XBMCBUNTU. Previously I had to load the Samba module manually in Eden however Frodo has come with it already pre-configured. Will have a look at that tomorrow and see if I can work out where it has been configured.

You might be onto something. Thanks.
take a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well that was too easy. The netbios name was indeed specified as XBMCBUNTU. I've edited it and all is now well in the world again.

Thanks very much for that.

Now where is that plus button for your rep? I can't see it for the life of me.
Just below the word "where" in your post Smile [+/-] - although thankfully the - doesn't seem to work Smile

And thanks for the thought!
I'm sorry but that option just doesn't appear in my browser window. I'm using Firefox but I just tried IE as well and the only buttons I have below the 'where' in my post is 'PM' and 'FIND'.

That's irritating.
Below each post is a row of buttons, PM, Find, +/- then on the right comes quote,quote+,report.

http://imagebin.org/244969

(not that I am desperate for rep points LOL)
Sorry. I see what you mean but on the page I'm looking at it just isn't there.

http://imagebin.org/244980

Maybe you need more posts before you can + someone?
Well thanks very much for your help anyway. It was much appreciated. You'll unfortunately have to make do with my written reference.
Just glad to help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Device Name Ignored When Installing Frodo0