Buffering Issues
Machine: AMD A6-5400k, 4GB RAM, Corsair 64GB SSD.
Software: XBMC 12.0, Windows 7 Enterprise N.
Media: Stored on a HP N40L Microserver which has Flexraid. SMB connection to the media server.

When I play a movie XBMC seems to take a while to start. I get the "working" icon in the bottom right corner. When the movie does start, it plays for maybe 10 seconds, stops and the "Buffering" bar appears. Takes maybe 30 seconds to buffer to 100%, the movie plays again for a short period.

I did have a search on Google and found a recommendation to set max mem buffer to 500MB in advancedsettings.xml (which I had to create) which I did but can't see much of a difference.

Also most of my movies are 10GB+ mkv's.

Any other ideas?
I too am in the same boat as you are. There are several unresolved posts on this issue all over but no real resolution to the issue as of yet. Some have gone back to Eden I suppose.
I gave up on my 256 mb Raspberry Pi because there was just no way out concerning the buffering issue, and I have been working on it for months.
I decided to hook my Windows computer with XBMC and use it partially as a HTPC. I even sorted out Pulse Eight CEC (I fell in love with it on the Pi).
Once everything was sorted and all the cables plugged in, I started up XBMC and my first film and it resulted in the worst anti-climax, ever!
The buffering issue is even worse! It happens every 20 sec... The Pi could at least run the same file for 40 sec between the buffering.

I'm running an i7 with triple channel memory and a GeForce GTX 580. I even have the films on a USB 3.0 drive... Is this really not enough to run a .mkv 10gb or bigger??! And might I add that the Windows copy is a fresh install.
This is a log from my laptop, that too with an i7 and an Nvidia gfx card. Same issue on that one, I thought it didn't matter which one I made the log on.

Can anyone make anything out of this?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53827097/xbmc.old.log
Are you all using wireless connections?
Same buffering issue has started happening to me as well with both Eden and now Frodo. It only happens with movie files and has happened with large .mkv files and a small (children's movie) m2ts file. Yesterday, it had to buffer an 8mb .mp4 file part of the Cinema Experience 'feature presentation'. Even the largest files play flawlessly on VLC so it does seem to be an XBMC issue. I am using a wired NAS.

Could it be a sound issue? I am using DirectSound as I can't quite figure out how to switch to AMD High Definition Audio drivers and use WASAPI.
I can post a log if helpful.

Any insight into this issue??
(2013-02-07, 21:57)pingaan Wrote: I even have the films on a USB 3.0 drive...

Local.
And btw I have no issues on neither of my devices when running Debian, I chose Windows for various other reasons.
Is there really no one watching films above 10 gb? Or is this just not a common enough problem? Any other player works fine, I just fancy the XBMC gui more!
I also have this problem
Got same issue...
Now and then buffering for a sec (doenst last long) with some movies (not all)
The same movies plays fine in eden...and on all other mediaplayers
9/10 this has to do with the ffmpeg version being used, wait for a new pull Wink
(2013-02-08, 01:58)Londave Wrote: Same buffering issue has started happening to me as well with both Eden and now Frodo. It only happens with movie files and has happened with large .mkv files and a small (children's movie) m2ts file. Yesterday, it had to buffer an 8mb .mp4 file part of the Cinema Experience 'feature presentation'. Even the largest files play flawlessly on VLC so it does seem to be an XBMC issue. I am using a wired NAS.

Could it be a sound issue? I am using DirectSound as I can't quite figure out how to switch to AMD High Definition Audio drivers and use WASAPI.

to get wasapi to work you need to use the AMD drivers and not the buggy realtek drivers,
are your files local or on a network drive ?
wired or wireless ?
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Strange that the "buggy realtek drivers" work great with EDEN, but not with FRODO. Thic seams to be a video decoding issue (ffmpeg?) Could we just have a option to chose the video decoder (old Eden vs. new Frodo style)?
(2013-02-10, 11:14)TRaSH Wrote:
(2013-02-08, 01:58)Londave Wrote: Same buffering issue has started happening to me as well with both Eden and now Frodo. It only happens with movie files and has happened with large .mkv files and a small (children's movie) m2ts file. Yesterday, it had to buffer an 8mb .mp4 file part of the Cinema Experience 'feature presentation'. Even the largest files play flawlessly on VLC so it does seem to be an XBMC issue. I am using a wired NAS.

to get wasapi to work you need to use the AMD drivers and not the buggy realtek drivers,
are your files local or on a network drive ?
wired or wireless ?

As it says -- a wired NAS for storage.

After a lengthy search still having trouble finding AMD sound drivers, lots of graphic drivers no sound. What am I missing?
AMD HDMI drivers are typically baked into their standard install package... When I do a fresh install for my A6 or A8 build, I install the main driver package, the video driver auto updater, and the realtek LAN.

That's it for motherboard drivers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering Issues0