No dvd menu play in frodo
Actually, turns out my comment was premature. Most of my DVDs are playing fine, only my wife's 25th Anniversary edition of Rocky Horror Picture Show has issues.
I've got one or two DVD folders set up, but I haven't tried playing them yet.
I'm having problems - some DVD's work fine, but others (including any authored using DVDShrink software) have a black menu screen.

I have also posted on the bug tracker at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14018 - the more people who post the more chance a fix will be worked on.
I know a lot of people don't even bother with menus if they've ripped their DVDs to a hard drive (local or network). Either their DVDs are transcoded to a more efficient video codec e.g. h264 or, f using something like DVD Shrink, they'll just rip the main movie and forget about all the extra cruft.

I know it's not a fix, but it is a possible workaround until the devs possibly look into the issue.
In another forum post i have helped one with issues regarded dvd playback (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166483)

I also had issues with the dvd menus and playback until i installed this codec.

So try sudo apt-get install libmpeg2-4
(2013-06-13, 05:20)pumkinut Wrote: I know a lot of people don't even bother with menus if they've ripped their DVDs to a hard drive (local or network). Either their DVDs are transcoded to a more efficient video codec e.g. h264 or, f using something like DVD Shrink, they'll just rip the main movie and forget about all the extra cruft.

I just rip the whole DVD to HDD with DVDFab. I end up with an exact (but un-encrypted) copy with full video and DD/DTS sound. It's a fast, single-pass procedure ... Most were ripped long ago.

(2013-06-13, 20:46)calebdk Wrote: In another forum post i have helped one with issues regarded dvd playback (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166483)

Interesting. Might help some, but I'm on Windows-7.

I thought all required codecs and required programs were included with XBMC. I thought that was one of the advantages over a program like MediaPortal.
HTPC: Intel e6600 dual-core, ATI 5670 (HDMI), Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, Synology 12tb RAID-5 NAS
Software: Windows-10 Pro, Kodi v16.1
Home Theater: Onkyo 607 AVR, Epson 8350 Projector, Apple-TV4, BD-60 BluRay, Cisco DVR, Harmony 670
Speakers: Polk Audio Series II and Polk Subwoofer.
^^
Correct, you shouldn't need any additional codecs on the Windows side. Besides a lot of codec packs tend to break more than they fix.
(2013-06-13, 20:46)calebdk Wrote: So try sudo apt-get install libmpeg2-4

Registered here just to say that I had this same problem and installing this library solved it. Menu functionallity seems fine now. Thanks calebdk :-)
I've had this problem when trying to play ripped DVDs from a folder every since I first installed XBMC version 11 on a new HTPC. Usually there is no response when trying to play the video_ts.ifo at all, except an error message that says "one or more files failed to play". On one DVD folder the menu did show, but I could not select any of the items.

I tried the "sudo apt-get install libmpeg2-4" code and the system replied that it already existed. I then tried removing and reinstalling the libmpeg2-4 code which did not help.

I've still got an original xbox with xbmc that plays the menus from ripped DVD folders perfectly. I wish I could put that version on my HTPC. I currently have version 13 alpha and the bug has not been addressed.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
Have you filed a bug report, or posted any logs? Those are the first thing devs are going to ask for, if you want anyone to investigate your problem.
(2013-07-13, 00:08)drhendrix Wrote: I've had this problem when trying to play ripped DVDs from a folder every since I first installed XBMC version 11 on a new HTPC. Usually there is no response when trying to play the video_ts.ifo at all, except an error message that says "one or more files failed to play". On one DVD folder the menu did show, but I could not select any of the items.

I tried the "sudo apt-get install libmpeg2-4" code and the system replied that it already existed. I then tried removing and reinstalling the libmpeg2-4 code which did not help.

I've still got an original xbox with xbmc that plays the menus from ripped DVD folders perfectly. I wish I could put that version on my HTPC. I currently have version 13 alpha and the bug has not been addressed.

Thanks

It's broken since Frodo. You can go back to Eden in which it works
(2013-07-19, 22:44)milli Wrote:
(2013-07-13, 00:08)drhendrix Wrote: I've had this problem when trying to play ripped DVDs from a folder every since I first installed XBMC version 11 on a new HTPC. Usually there is no response when trying to play the video_ts.ifo at all, except an error message that says "one or more files failed to play". On one DVD folder the menu did show, but I could not select any of the items.

Thanks

It's broken since Frodo. You can go back to Eden in which it works

Try the latest nightly. Looks like the issue is fixed with this setting(Attempt to skip introduction before DVD menu) turned on. It works in windows/ATV2.
(2013-06-13, 20:46)calebdk Wrote: In another forum post i have helped one with issues regarded dvd playback (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166483)

I posted previously a few months ago, and your solution works! dvd menu playback works again! thanks so much!
Hi All Smile

Have been dealing with this issue for some time now / sadly without any happy ending.

According to the above I tryed installing libdvdread4 without luck.
Installing libmpeg2-4 also gave the result "....allready newest version".
So I did a "apt-get remove libmpeg2-4" folowed by "apt-get install libmpeg2-4" - same result.

Latest thing I did was renaming the .xbmc/userdata folder to .xbmc/userdata.old (instead of deleting).

And for some reason the "Play disc" button was added to the menu line.....
Playback is now working for me on Frodo 12.2

Dont ask why or how...

/Jesper

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No dvd menu play in frodo0