Linux XBMCLive + Zotac ION MB = no audio output
Ok, so I know there are several threads on this, but I have tried them all and I am still having issues here.

I built a box that has a ZOTAC IONITX-N-E Intel Celeron 743 motherboard/processor in it.

I installed XBMCLive Frodo via USB, and basically everything is working great - but I have no sound. No system sounds, no video output sounds.

I have tried the following:
* Installed alsamixer and verified the volume was up on each output and that none of them were muted
* run an apt-get update
* added the nvidia driver repository and then re-ran updates
* tried each output in the system/audio settings

Currently I have the box connected to a TV via HDMI cable. On another ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01 box I have to use Analog to get audio on the tv, however I get no sound at all with this box set to analog (or anything else for that matter).

At the very least I should have system sounds, even if my receiver settings are wrong, but I have tried to eliminate receiver issues by simply disabling all those options, setting output to analog, 2.0 speakers, and send stereo to all speakers. I don't have the box pulled up in front of me right now, but at the bottom I have about 4 options under device, and I have tried all 4. I can get them listed if that will help.

Any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated. Unfortunately I don't know much about linux, so I simply don't know where to start. I did have audio output thought before I installed linux when I had Win7 on it. Unfortunately Win7 was just way too slow to be useable, so that is why I switched to XBMCLive.
If you just installed xbmclive, check what the sound output device is in xbmc. This caught me out when it upgraded to frodo.

Should be under audio and hardware, scroll till you see the nvidia hHuh Listing, HDMI out should be 2ch to test and then play some music & enable upmix to test 5.1 CH compatible sound.

Also, try alsactl (? Or alsamixer ) from the command line, once as the xbmc user, to check mixers are unmuted. It should save settings. You may have to stop and play music files while testing to confirm audio.
I appreciate the suggestions, however I have tried both of those. They helped me on my other box, but not with this one so far.
Okay. First step is to check alsa settings.

You can find out by using sudo modprobe, lsmod or dmesg | grep alsa.

Is there an .asoundrc file in /home/xbmc ?

If so, check what the default output is, or if its outputting to the optical or front speaker output by default. I can look up what the codes are, based off your nvidia settings, my ion 330 may have different settings to yours so I'd need to figure out if the alsa modules are loaded.

Check the modules for alsa & nvidia are loaded, ie sudo modprobe , and sudo lsmod , I'll see if I can find a diagnostic list that may help.

Once you have checked that alsa is loaded, open a command line alsa player for mp3s, open up a 2nd terminal, play music, check mixer settings are valid.
typing "sudo modprobe" just gives me a list of command line parameters it wants.

I looked the command up online, but I couldn't find a switch that would list what was currently loaded, which appears to be the goal here.

Running "dmesg | grep alsa" tells me:
alsa-restore main process (893) terminated with status 19

There is not a .asoundrc file in the home/xbmc folder. Just a bunch of crashlogs and some empty media folders.

It seems to me that the terminated with status 19 is my problem. Just not sure what to do about it yet, and preliminary google searches haven't led me down the right path yet.
bump =)
post your xbmc.log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
On one of my machines, I had no sound until I added the following to the advancedsettings.xml in ~/.xbmc/userdata.

Code:
<audio>
<resample>48000</resample>
</audio>

If there is no advancedsettings.xml, just create one with just the xml above in it.

May be worth a try here...
the advancedsetting.xml tip didn't work for me unfortunately.

Here is my log after starting it up and attempting to play a movie:

http://pastebin.com/ZAeePspj
Please delete your log from your post and put it on pastebin
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
bump. thanks
Make a screenshot of your Audio Settings, please.
In doubt: Retry with OpenELEC - from your LOG i cannot see that any device is opened, that makes me wonder.

Also get me:
sudo aplay -L and aplay -l
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, it has been a while since I've had a chance to mess with this. I did however install OpenELEC on it.

Audio works great, and the menus browse quickly. However, now it won't play blurays anymore. I tried a direct ripped bluray mt2s from dvdfab, and then I tried a mkv compressed file through makemkv. Same situation in both cases. It plays the the first second or 2 of audio, but the menu never goes away. Then it pauses for a moment, and it appears that xbmc crashes and restarts.

I have verified that the video files work fine on my other xbmc builds.

I have an actual ion motheroboard in a different case, so I tried over there. OpenELEC optimized for ion wouldn't even boot with the machine, so I tried the general build and it ran fine. Audio & video worked great. So I went back to my Zotac HD MAG and tried the general install of OpenELEC, but I got the same results as the ion build.

Everytime I find a build that fixes one thing on the mag, something else breaks :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive + Zotac ION MB = no audio output0