Linux Apple TV [Gen 1] Can't get XBOX DVD Remote to work
I've had the XBOX remote in use since the XBMP and XBMC days on my original modded XBOX. Suffice to say, I am enamored with the original remote and the great work of the XBMC developers.

I'm running Crystalbuntu on a 1st generation Apple TV (the big aluminum one). XBMC works really well with a Broadcom CrystalHD BCM70015 mini pci-e card. However, I can't seem to get the original XBOX remote to function.

I'm not very Linux savvy, I have dabbled here and there with installs and live cds but know very little about command line stuff. I followed the directions I found on this blog post which based the information from this Ubuntu Forums post.

Everything seemed to install correctly and after restarting my remote still did not work. I'm not sure how to see what is wrong. I know that my Apple TV does see the XBOX remote dongle hardware.

Code:
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 045e:0284 Microsoft Corp. Xbox DVD Playback Kit
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 04d9:1400 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:8241 Apple Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Any help is appreciated, I am willing to reformat and reinstall Crystalbuntu to the hard drive if necessary in order to start fresh as I'm not sure how to undo the changes I've made. Thanks!
I'm not familiar with the Apple TV installation but here are the instructions for the XBMC DVD remote in XBMCBuntu

You have to install a lirc patch and modify the lirc configuration to get it working in Ubuntu - might have to do the same for apple tvs
Like my post? please up my reputation, it faced the wrath of X3lectric over this post
[HOW-TO][FRODO] Configure XBOX 360 Wireless Controller
[HOW-TO][Frodo] XBOX DVD Remote/Dongle
Thanks for the help. I started with a fresh Crystalbuntu install and I got up to the "make" command and it got stuck on an error on the bottom line.

Code:
atv@Crystalbuntu:/lirc/drivers/lirc_xbox$ sudo make
cp ./../lirc_dev/Module*.symvers .
cp: cannot stat `./../lirc_dev/Module*.symvers': No such file or directory
make: [lirc_xbox.o] Error 1 (ignored)
mv Makefile Makefile.automake
cp ./../Makefile.kernel Makefile
CPPFLAGS="" CFLAGS="" LDFLAGS="" \
        make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-28-generic/build/ SUBDIRS= modules \
                KBUILD_VERBOSE=1
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-generic'
rm -f include/config/kernel.release
echo 2.6.24.6 > include/config/kernel.release
set -e; echo '  CHK     include/linux/version.h'; mkdir -p include/linux/;     (echo \#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132632; echo '#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))';) < /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-generic/Makefile > include/linux/version.h.tmp; if [ -r include/linux/version.h ] && cmp -s include/linux/version.h include/linux/version.h.tmp; then rm -f include/linux/version.h.tmp; else echo '  UPD     include/linux/version.h'; mv -f include/linux/version.h.tmp include/linux/version.h; fi
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
set -e; echo '  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h'; mkdir -p include/linux/;  if [ `echo -n "2.6.24.6" | wc -c ` -gt 64 ]; then echo '"2.6.24.6" exceeds 64 characters' >&2; exit 1; fi; (echo \#define UTS_RELEASE \"2.6.24.6\";) < include/config/kernel.release > include/linux/utsrelease.h.tmp; if [ -r include/linux/utsrelease.h ] && cmp -s include/linux/utsrelease.h include/linux/utsrelease.h.tmp; then rm -f include/linux/utsrelease.h.tmp; else echo '  UPD     include/linux/utsrelease.h'; mv -f include/linux/utsrelease.h.tmp include/linux/utsrelease.h; fi
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/linux/utsrelease.h
set -e; asmlink=`readlink include/asm | cut -d '-' -f 2`;   \
        if [ -L include/asm ]; then                                     \
                if [ "$asmlink" != "x86" ]; then                \
                        echo "ERROR: the symlink include/asm points to asm-$asmlink but asm-x86 was expected"; \
                        echo "       set ARCH or save .config and run 'make mrproper' to fix it";             \
                        exit 1;                                         \
                fi;                                                     \
        else                                                            \
                echo '  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86';          \
                if [ ! -d include ]; then                               \
                        mkdir -p include;                               \
                fi;                                                     \
                ln -fsn asm-x86 include/asm;                              \
        fi
mkdir -p .tmp_versions ; rm -f .tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=scripts/basic
  gcc -Wp,-MD,scripts/basic/.fixdep.d -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer     -o scripts/basic/fixdep scripts/basic/fixdep.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,scripts/basic/.docproc.d -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer     -o scripts/basic/docproc scripts/basic/docproc.c
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=.
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.c', needed by `arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-generic'
make: *** [lirc_xbox.o] Error 2

I wasn't able to use the "make install" command afterward
Code:
atv@Crystalbuntu:/lirc/drivers/lirc_xbox$ sudo make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV [Gen 1] Can't get XBOX DVD Remote to work0