Solved Pulseaudio no sound over HDMI, XBMC audio settings
I followed a walk through on fixing the audio from the hdmi. I had sound in xbmc and nothing on the desktop/browser, I also had a bunch of my rips that had no audio but had worked fine before switching to Linux.
I made a file in /ect and my home folder following the instructions in the walk through relating to alsa and changed another file after backing it up.
I have a speaker on the bottom panel but there is no audio, also I could select in xbmc hdmi 0,1,2,3 etc now I have hda nvidia/default that are my options. I am wondering how to fix or unfix this. I suppose some audio is better than none.
aplay-l shows devices alsamixer has nothing muted, I am lost now and have searched and attempted to the best of my abilities.
Here's the walk through I followed http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How...controller
So does no audio work at all right now? Or does audio work in XBMC but not elsewhere, or vice versa?
Rename any /etc/asound.conf files you have atm and restart, then look at XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#No_sound_in_XBMC (wiki)

After that look at HOW-TO:_Configure_audio (wiki)

All failing we want screenshots of audio settings, what Device is XBMC connected to and how and screenshot of alsamixer in various views and of course a xbmc debug log Log_file/Easy (wiki)

The link you followed is outdated and ONLY EXPERTS should use it as is atm.

uNi
Thank you both very much for the replies.
To answer your questions, no audio at all works now. Previously I had audio in xbmc and no audio anywhere else, also the speaker link to the alsa mixer was missing from the bottom panel when xbmc only had audio.

uNiversal I will follow those links and report back in an hour or two. It's safe to say I am no expert, the link looked legit so I figured it was worth a go. Not a great idea.
I've also got audio issues in 12.1, since upgrade my spdif output isnt selectable, only analog output - hopefully this will get resolved soon.
I realize that this post is lacking a lot of info so ill try to provide anything that can help.
I am on an i3, using nvidia gforce gt 430 (fermi) on an asrock h67 mitx.

I went through and undid everything that I had done following that link I used to mess everything up. I followed the link to the FAQ and made sure nothing was muted. the second how to configure audio link was broken. After searching the forums and Google I am reporting back.

After undoing everything I have audio in XBMC, come up under HDMI and detects the Samsung TV I have connected to it.
I am going to try to post a couple of screen shots and hope that it helps any. At the moment I have audio in xbmc and not the desktop again, I also have the volume control showing in the bottom panel so I suppose thats progress.

heres a link to what aplay -l puts out
http://s20.postimg.org/6em60bs4t/aplay.png

and a link of what alsamixer is showing
http://s20.postimg.org/gzexl973h/alsamixer.png

*edit*
Here is a link to a screen of XBMC audio settings
http://s20.postimg.org/n1r5phkx9/xbmcaudio.jpg

i hope this helps any, thanks in advance.
@i0ls:
You only have a TV - so disable: TrueHD, disable DTS-HD, disable AAC, disable LPCM, disable DTS - only keep AC3 enabled.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
IF your connected to a TV only you want to disable all the DTS through to TrueHD TV's cannot do that.AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio (wiki) < that link should work.

As for audio in xbmc and not in xbmcbuntu I cant help you its related to pulseaudio and actual settings in the xbmcbuntu part, as I dont use it idk. Theres sevearl topics on this I suggest you search xbmc for pulseaudio related fixes.

Aside from the wrong xbmc audio settings everything else seems ok.

uNi
Always try with DTS passthrough enabled first, if it doesn't work yoju'll have to disable it. Some TVs can actually decode it and/or pass it on via S/PDIF properly.
Uni thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I wasn't sure where to look.
For anyone in the same situation here is how I solved this

First I uninstalled and reinstalled pulseaudio

Next using the output of aplay -l
card 0 NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
This is the one that actually worked for me although xbmc uses device numbered 3

Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and look for this line
#load-module module-alsa sink
Change it to
load-module module-alsa sink device=hw:0,9
The 0 "card 0" and ,9 "device9"
I had to roll through every device in aplay -l as 9 was last. Hopefully this helps someone out.

Thanks to everyone for reading and posting replies
You can try adding a little better descriptive tittle to the thread and also mark as solved, this will help future googlers and searchers to find this thread.

Enjoy your XBMC

uNi
I'll do that, I have found a ton of stuff here that helped me, it's the least I can do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pulseaudio no sound over HDMI, XBMC audio settings0