Movie Library Layout
I'm transitioning from a media center and media browser setup to XBMC and I'm struggling to get my movie library to function how I'm used to. I have searched and searched on this issue I'm having but can't find the perfect solution. Here are a couple examples of my movie folder structure --

[Root Movie Folder]
  • [Name of Movie] (Folder) -- this movie has two or more parts (e.g. discs)
    • folder.jpg
    • Name of movie part 1.m4v
    • Name of movie part 2.m4v
  • [Name of a Movie Collection] (Folder)
    • folder.jpg representing movie collection
    • [Name of Movie] (Folder)
      • folder.jpg
      • Name of movie.m4v
  • [Name of Movie] (Folder) -- this movie has two or more different movies in it that don't warrant separate folders
    • folder.jpg
    • Name of movie.m4v
    • Name of another file.m4v
    • Name of another file 2.m4v

What I want is when I'm browsing the library to only see 1 folder icon for each folder off the root. So I'd see only 3 initial icons for the 3 examples above. When I go into the first example, I'd like to have the option to jump to a specific file or part when I want to (e.g. I want to be able to select "Name of movie - part 2.m4v" at will. In the second example of the collection, I'd like to enter the collection and then see a new view of icons representing the movies within it. And then on the 3rd example I'd like to see the option to select the individual files, like in the first example.

Thanks in advanced for the wisdom.
Have you serched? Or looked in the Wiki?

We start with Video library/Naming files/Movies
and some more on File Stacking
and then moving on to the collections that are called Movie Sets in XBMC.

Ok, this one isn't inte the Wiki, here is a solution to have correct posters for sets: Movie Set Artwork Automator

I don't think you will be able to choose which file to open when there are several files, I think you have to use the skip option when you start whatching the movie.
Perhaps it works in File mode, but I've never used that.
Thanks for the reply, but yes I have searched (hence the "I have searched and searched on this issue I'm having but can't find the perfect solution" in my post). And as none of the links you posted provide a solution, hopefully someone else has an idea. I want to be able to select the files at will as some of the files have chapters and don't want to have to keep hitting skip through the chapters just to get to the next file.

The information about the sets is helpful and I will look into that, but the file selection is my primary issue.
1. The link kaffekask posted for file stacking should get you want you want for the first scenario you list. Just make sure you have stacking enabled in the view. It will only show as 1 movie, but when you select it, you will be prompted which part to play.
2. Movie sets aren't defined by the name of the folder. They are defined by either the scraped info, or what is provided in the .nfo file. If you have a folder for the name of the movie set (collection), and you have the content option "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" set, it's going to try and search for a movie named after the folder name.
3. It's recommended different movies have their own folders. I'm not exactly sure what "this movie has two or more different movies in it that don't warrant separate folders" means. It's not hard to create separate folders for the individual movies and will only make things easier in the long run. Once again, if you have the content option "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" set, you will need to have individual movies in their own folder. If you don't have that set, this layout should work, but still isn't ideal.

This all assumes they you are actually scanning in and viewing these movies in library mode. If you are using file mode, then what I said is irrelevant.
(2013-03-31, 15:07)syntax53 Wrote: I want to be able to select the files at will as some of the files have chapters and don't want to have to keep hitting skip through the chapters just to get to the next file.

Sorry, I'm to used with MPC-HC where I have the option "Next file".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Library Layout0