Video quality - HDHomerun????
Today my MythTV was acting up so I am now having to watch the final four game tonight straight from the TV without my HDhomerun tuner. Well as I started watching the game I realized how bad my picture quality is using my HomeRun tuner. The picture quality with my HDHR tuner does not seem as crisp and the colors seem duller then just using my TV. I forgot how good HDTV can look.

I am using an HD HomeRun tuner(the old one-HDHR-US).

So to make my issue as simple as possible what I have done is some tests using VNC on my HTPC connected directly to the Tuner. I have done this with both my HTPC and my MAC(not the retna screen). The picture quality is the same between my HTPC running VNC, my MAC running VNC and my HTPC running XBMC, just not that good.

It is my understanding from my quick research that the tuner should not affect the quality of the image since it is just passing bits in an out, it is up to the video card to provide the video quality. Well I believe I have a good enough video card on both my HTPC and my MAC so I am not convinced that that is my problem.

Why I am posting this is I am wondering what I am overlooking, or does anyone see any problems with my assumptions below:

Here is what could be my variables.
-Tuner quality - should be not be degrading video qualityHuh?
-Network - Running all 1GB(I am a network engineer at Cisco so I would like to think it is not a network issue)
-PC - Running I5-2500, Ubuntu, 20GB Ram, SSD HD - I cannot imagine that any of these would not be enough.
-Tuner -AMD Radeon HD 5650 - I also believe that should also be powerful enough

Here my setup.

I have an HD Homerun(the old one-HDHR-US), connected to a 1GB Cisco switch. Everything else I have connected to same switch, all layer 2.
As the cable comes into the house, I have a splitter going to TV and to tuner so the source is the same.

HTPC
ASROCK with i5-2500K
AMD Radion 5650 - connected to TV via HDMI though Onkyo-607 reciever
20GB Ram
128Gb Samsung 840 SSD
XBMC

Macbook Pro
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB

TV
lnt-5265

Any input appreciated.
What is the "quality" problem... pixelation? color range?

It is not the tuner or the network. If you are getting the video feed then both of those are working.

I would be surprised if there was not some type of quality degradation using VNC to remotely view the video. (or did you mean VLC?)

If your video is poor playing with XBMC, VLC, or something like HDHR QuickTV directly fed from the HDHR, then I'd guess it is your graphics hardware settings. Can you play other video that looks good? Play around with those settings.

If it is a color range issue, Google "color range" or "RGB" for your video card and you may find some helpful hints.AVS forums HTPC thread has a lot of discussion on that stuff.

Doesn't hurt to check your TV input settings either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video quality - HDHomerun????0