Linux Auto generate Thumbnails
Hi all,

got a question regarding thumbnail creation.
Basically, I have video files in several folders.
I browse them using the thumbnails XBMC creates.
However, I have to go into each folder first, wait for XBMC to create the thumbs, and then move on to the next folder.

Is there are a script or something, which I can give the path of the folder to scan for files to create thumbnails for, recursively.

Found a few hits on google for the same query, but none with an answer.

Many thanks,
derchris
If you are asking for a tool to automate the extraction of embedded thumbnails from video files, no, that's not possible.

If however you simply want to pre-cache your posters/fanart/thumb artwork, then this will do that for you (c option).

The problem with embedded artwork is that the JSON download methods don't work, so you can't easily automate their extraction/caching - you're stuck with browsing the GUI and waiting... Of course you could try automating the thumbnail extraction yourself, maybe using something like VLC to grab screenshots, then store the resulting thumbs with your videos and the caching of these thumb files can then be automated.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks,

but I need the normal thumbnails, no fanarts.

Anyone else?

If XBMC can do it, and it will accept scripts, I'm sure there is some kind of hook which can be used for this.
All I know is that the Thumbs are saved in .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails
But they are managed it looks like in folders, and have unique filenames, so not much point doing this from the CLI.

Anyone knows if this would be possible from the Python builtin scripting?
(2013-04-14, 17:36)derchris Wrote: Thanks,

but I need the normal thumbnails, no fanarts.

Anyone else?

If XBMC can do it, and it will accept scripts, I'm sure there is some kind of hook which can be used for this.
All I know is that the Thumbs are saved in .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails
But they are managed it looks like in folders, and have unique filenames, so not much point doing this from the CLI.

Anyone knows if this would be possible from the Python builtin scripting?

So, you want to pre-cache non-embedded thumb artwork - precisely what is wrong with the script, then? It will create the files in .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails for you. You can configure it to ignore fanarts, and also posters (add patterns to the cache.ignore.types property).

If you're hoping to find an add-on that does the same job, good luck - as far as I can tell, none such exist.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
This will only work for Folders which have a class set, like Movies or TV shows.
What I have is a folder mixed with Internet Videos, Self created stuff.
I tried to use it on this folders, but without success.
That's why I tried to get you to clarify what you meant by "thumbnail". I could probably add an extra class if you provide details of some of your movies (ie. how they appear in the media library)
Thats the point, they are not in the media library.
Just a folder with videos in several different formats.
Yeah, so embedded thumbnails. Can't help I'm afraid, you're stuck with the slow one-at-a-time extraction.
I tried to create .tbn Files with ffmpeg, which worked.
But for some, the thumb file was bigger then the actual video file, so it filled up my NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto generate Thumbnails0