Android Android 2.3.1 on Noontec A9 / Woxter tv 100
Hi All,

This is my first post, so first off thanks for all the hard work, I only found out about the existence of XBMC last month and am very impressed.
I am hoping for a little help with a problem, I am new to Android and XBMC but know my way around Linux so will post logs later
here goes:

I purchased a made in China Android TV called a Woxter TV 100, it's also badged as a Noontec A9 - and probably a third name too
the latest firmware I can get onto this so far is 2.3.1 (if anyone knows how I can upgrade to 4 I would be delighted to hear from you)
here are the specs
1.2GHz CPU, 512M DDR3, 4GB flash memory and Android 2.3OS 700M GPU

I installed XBMC frodo 12.1 and an using a LaCie 1TB drive for my media connected to the root fs,, it installed fine, before I add files I turn off RSS and turn on debugging, the tv shows import and I use the TVdb as the scraper, I then add the Movies, I keep getting the error message 'cannot connect to remote server - do you want to continue scanning - yes / no' if I select yes it continues to scan and also continues to scrap - weird? (updated the plugin last night) same outcome

ok here is the real problem, when I try to play anything that is HD XBMC starts playing very choppy and then android rather cruelly kills XBMC, to be honest some times it kills it just in the title viewer.

I have tested the files with MX player and the built in player and they both perform wonderfully on 1080p mkv files, I then tried the external player XML file but when I bring up the context menu to select 'play with' android kills XBMC - cpu does run very hot prior to xbmc being terminated.

so why aren't I posting log files? - remember I said I was an android newbie - well the box ain't rooted and I can't find the directory the xbmc debugger says it saving to using explorer or es explorer.

so, does anyone have success with noontec A9 and 'Frodo' ?
anyone have any of these problems on 2.3.1 ?

-also I was wondering, the external drive is in ntfs is this okay would ext4 be better? as I said mx player can play everything fine so I know the hardware is capable.

again thanks for taking the time to read my mind spew and for all the hard work - it really is a great media server

edit - I cannot change the display output above 1280 in XBMC even though my TV and android are displaying 1920
If I were you I'd return it, if you want an Android box actually intended for XBMC the Pivos XIOS is what your looking for.

The Noontec A9 is a Rockchip 2918 device and cannot use hardware video decoding unless you use a libstagefright build of XBMC. On top of that there are known issues with Rockchip via libstagefright and whether it would work at all on Android 2.x

MX Player works because they signed deals with chipset makers to get access to closed source hardware/software, something XBMC wont do.

If you really want to try and stick with the Noontec according to some there is the same box here with more recent firmware but no idea if it goes to Android 4, enter into the search box MT7002 and look through the firmwares, do so at your own risk of course.
if the mx player is working for you, then id expect this to work as well, since its built to use the mxplayer as xbmc default player.

i have not personally tried this version, but i guess youve got little to lose.

XAF Android Build Guide

id be interested to hear how you get on,
Dam0
thanks lads, Starstream, yep the Pivos would have been a better choice at this point, but I bought the device in Portugal and live in Ireland so returning it would be comical hahaha!
so I'm about to try the XAF NEON build thanks Dam0
additionally to this I have managed to get ICS flashed on there using this post on xda-developer forums
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1882362

it's post number 6 for anyone interested, don't mind the first post which links to another method of flashing to ICS by dismantling the device.

I will post back the results of the XAF build, lastly it was my USB drive that was causing most of the crashes - I haven't got to the bottom of why yet but suspect NTFS or possibly file permissions - it was formatted hanging off a windows 8 enterprise box without XBMC in mind so I may reformat in a Linux native fs
(2013-05-05, 12:41)Dam0 Wrote: if the mx player is working for you, then id expect this to work as well, since its built to use the mxplayer as xbmc default player.

i have not personally tried this version, but i guess youve got little to lose.

XAF Android Build Guide

id be interested to hear how you get on,
Dam0

Please do not link to this build, or to that website, on XBMC.org. It's certainly not forbidden, but we do not support that build and won't help users who have issues with it.
i am sorry for causeing a hassle, and it seems also bad timing for the rss feed update as well.

i meant no disrespect to xbmc team, was just trying to possibly help an android user to use (even if modified) his beloved xbmc...

this will not happen again,
Dam0
No worries, I didn't think you were out to get us or anything :)
thanks everyone, 12.2 Frodo is working for me now with a modified playercorefactory.xml for MX free. XAF is naughty, and like me, a little unstable!
When will XBMC actually cut of support for earlier versions of Android? I notice the upcoming plex 'kepler' is android 3.3 minimum
Hi,

I am trying to get MXPlayer Free working with Frodo 12.2 as well and was hoping if you could PM me your playercorefactory file?

Thanks.
Hi Guys,

I also have a similar problem. I have one of these android mini pc boxes:

Android OS 2.3
4Gb Internal Memory Built In
512Mb DDR3
Integrated Arm Cortex A8 Silicon Processor

I can load the latest version of Xbmc Frodo for Android and it works but I have the same performance issues on video/audio as detailed by the previous member. I tried to add the playercorefactory file myself but It did not work and keeps using the default player.

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed..Oh I got this as a gift so cant really return it, so would be great to get it working.

Thanks
This debug build of latest xmbc 12.3

with this playercorefactory.xml put in /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

works perfectly with MX Player in Noontec A9/Woxter TV 100 with Android ICS 4.0.4.

Full details here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android 2.3.1 on Noontec A9 / Woxter tv 1000