Windows 7 Frodo 12.2 thumbnails a no-show
Hi, new to the forums but lover of XBMC for a few years now. I t

I recently upgraded all my devices to 12.2, this went well for my Apple TV 1 and 2, my macs, but having trouble on the windows 7 box.

The thumbnails, posters and fanart all come up as blanks, I tried various solutions already on the forum (putting usercreds in sub command) etc. no luck.

I use shared MySQL database, and due to local storage probs on ATV's i use shared thumbnails. These work perfectly fine on everything but the windows 7 xbmc, where they are just blank. I did do the eden -> frodo upgrade I didn't do a clean install but its working on 3 different platforms I don't understand why its not working on the Windows 7 machine (jokes aside...)

I use the same advancedsettings.xml file

here is the relevent portion:

Quote: <substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>SMB://192.168.1.4/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>

From the log it appears that it is having trouble WRITING to the thumbnail folder, even tho a) the share is mounted and i can create folders in windows explorer in the same directory its complaining about, and b) ALL THE OTHER DEVICES USING THE SAME path have no trouble!

here is what it gives me in the log:

Quote:10:03:05 T:1560 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\c\cc03c6c0.jpg' Error '5
10:03:06 T:1444 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:03:06 T:1444 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\e\efbb57cc.jpg' Error '5
10:03:07 T:1444 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:03:07 T:1444 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\6\6afb4609.jpg' Error '5
10:03:09 T:1560 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:03:09 T:1560 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\e\e2bce8aa.jpg' Error '5
10:03:09 T:1444 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\a\a04c4548.jpg' Error '5
10:03:09 T:1560 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:03:09 T:1560 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\e\e2bce8aa.jpg' Error '5
10:03:09 T:1444 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file for writing '\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails\4\4611d56c.jpg' Error '5

Thank you for any light that someone can shed on this. I even uninstalled XBMC and deleted the userdata folder on the win7 machine and reinstalled, no change.

--Greyy

Update: I tried installing on a another windows 7 computer and the same problem occurred, definitely windows specific as the other 3 platforms it is fine.
been a few days, noone has any comments on this. its really annoying that windows shared thumbnails is broken, stupid windows.
Are the thumbnails on a NAS or is 192.168.1.4 the IP of the Windows box?
When you say:

(2013-05-13, 18:38)greyy Wrote: the share is mounted and i can create folders in windows explorer in the same directory its complaining about

do you mean that you go to \\192.168.0.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails" and can create files/folders, or have you mounted this to a network drive, such as X: and you do it from X: ?
The thumbnails are on a Mac Mini that is acting as my NAS (don't ask, its the only computer that is always on basically) I created a share under the "Shared" user with permissions for everyone read/write since its just this xbmc data, and this is working with all the other platforms.

for the 2nd question. when i goto "\\192.168.1.4\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails" i mean i can go in Windows Explorer to the xbmc share, specifically the folders referenced in the log, and create folders, so windows networking seems to be able to write to the folders its honking about in the log...

The main problem seems to be that for some reason the windows version of xbmc smb is not able to write to the directory where OpenElec, ATV2 and Mac OSX versions can, baffles me.

Thank you for trying to help this is really frustrating!
Hmmm, strange. Sorry I can't help further with the XBMC side of things...

All I can suggest, is that if you've got enough local storage on the Windows machines, to remove the path substitution from advancedsettings on the Windows machines. Not a fix, but a work-around.

Any thumbnail changes will still be reflected by your other systems, and this is the way that Frodo is designed to work (with each client having its own thumbnail cache).
ConfusedTA -- That totally worked, as you said its a workaround but the windows machine have more than enough space and it seems to be reflecting the thumbnails to the other clients so... good enough!!

Thank you for your advice

--Greyy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 Frodo 12.2 thumbnails a no-show2