Poll: Do use SHN? - please vote if you use this audio codec
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, its the best codec out there!
100.00%
Yes, all the music I get from etree.org is encoded in shn.
0%
No, I'm not intrested in lossless audio formats.
0%
No, what's shn?
0%
Total
1 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

Do you use SHN (Shorten audio codec)?
i was just wondering if anyone had considered supporting the .shn format.  i do realize that you currently support .flac, but for most collectors since etree.org has endorsed .shn this is the codec of choice.  it would be a real shame if all us live music junkies had to re-encode hundreds of gigs to a different format to play on the mediacenter.  i have the directshow shn plugin that enables playback in windows media player, powerpoint, etc if this is of any helps to the devs drop me a line and i'll get you a copy. other than that i absolutely love xbmc keep up the terrific work fellas

regards

aeros
please vote if you use this audio codec!
my option isn't in the poll.

no, if i want to use a lossless codec i use monkey's audio as it offers the best compression.
flac is the best choice right now. ape isn't supported with xbmc, and it could take a while before it is.

i have never heard about shn. is it good? should/could xbmc support it anytime soon?
shn, as reflected in the poll is the format of choice for etree. its a lossless compression with about 2:1. its more open than ape(thus its wider use and easier to obtain algorithm.

last i checked theres an xmms plugin that works great with mplayer in linux, so it should be relatively trivial to get it running in xbmc.

i for one would love shn support, since i do have a lot of live shows i store in shn.
Kodi v17.6 on Asustor NAS
Kodi v17.6 on Fire Stick v2
(indierocksteve @ feb. 20 2004,03:16 Wrote:shn, as reflected in the poll is the format of choice for etree. its a lossless compression with about 2:1. its more open than ape(thus its wider use and easier to obtain algorithm.

last i checked theres an xmms plugin that works great with mplayer in linux, so it should be relatively trivial to get it running in xbmc.

i for one would love shn support, since i do have a lot of live shows i store in shn.
i'm all for it, but i don't think ape being the standard, will change any time soon. but shn might still be a good thing to support, i say. are you going to open a feature request thread, if there isn't one, indierocksteve?
please see frodo's message on this matter:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=1921
i understood that, previous to your comment, but it is good that you comment anyway.

when i mean opening a feature request it is only, if mplayer supports it, then. and that's that.

p.s. i didn't consider this thread to be a feature request, i must admit, it was in offtopic, and only about shn in generall, and about shn software in general - somehow it turned into a feature request, but that's that.
i love xbmc and would have it no other way.

i would like to enquire if the files .shn are playable in mc ?

regards

j

here is a link for info if needed http://etree.org/shnamp.html

regards
(indierocksteve @ feb. 20 2004,02:16 Wrote:last i checked theres an xmms plugin that works great with mplayer in linux, so it should be relatively trivial to get it running in xbmc.
unforunately xbmc is not xmms, so we don't support xmms plugins. Image
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(kompressor_uk @ mar. 04 2004,13:11 Wrote:i love xbmc and would have it no other way.

i would like to enquire if the files .shn are playable in mc ?

regards

j

here is a link for info if needed http://etree.org/shnamp.html

regards
oops sorry people i didnt pay much attention that time !

slap on wrists for me Smile

lossless audio is large but amazing quality Smile
i use shn strictly for trading audio shows. i then burn my own audio cds from the shn files. shn support in xbmc is not that important to me.
(dooser @ mar. 07 2004,07:11 Wrote:i use shn strictly for trading audio shows. i then burn my own audio cds from the shn files. shn support in xbmc is not that important to me.
good point dooser. i found many live shows also. seems like many people are trading Wink

- maybe i'll just do audio cds also. so you don't keep your shns around, after you do audio cd? or do you keep for trading? Smile

p.s. this was originally an off-topic thread, i don't think it was meant for a feature suggestion. after all, shn is not supported in mplayer, and we all know... Wink
id love to shn in xbmc of course and i understand the issues involved from the mplayer perspective.

i see xmms for linux has some support for the shn format, it also comes with a seek function (winamp doesnt seek at all from my experience lol).

anyone like to edit and configure xmms for a temp solution Smile

but as always this never implies xbmc is inferior, i use the latest release and keep upto date with streamer (relax) and the masterpeice xbmc. xbmc is the only reason i own an xbox. 1 game is all that i tried once.

must remember to get the quiet mods into the thing for the living room Wink

thanx guys for all this effort you have provided this far.

best regards

komp
mplayer has the ability to use xmms plugins, and that is how it can play .shn's (on linux at least). that also leads me to believe that the mplayer team is not going to waste time to develop a native demuxer. is there any chance that xbmc could use a xmms plugin?
--jaga
--jaga

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you use SHN (Shorten audio codec)?0