Win "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"
@Warren

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate the helping hand. I have abandoned Windows back in the summertime for running xbmc - in favour of OpenELEC (as noted in my sig).

As a point of interest, I never had the Windows machine connected to a TV... just my standard 19" desktop monitors - so HDMI handshake issues were not possible. Even running the LiveStick version, it was on the desktop (Windows) box.

The issue list keeps shrinking with my current setup (even solved MCE keyboard not responding !), so very soon it will be time to unleash for the whole family to use.

Good Luck Warren, with making your setup behave.
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
(2013-10-11, 05:26)gjwAudio Wrote: @Warren

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate the helping hand. I have abandoned Windows back in the summertime for running xbmc - in favour of OpenELEC (as noted in my sig).

As a point of interest, I never had the Windows machine connected to a TV... just my standard 19" desktop monitors - so HDMI handshake issues were not possible. Even running the LiveStick version, it was on the desktop (Windows) box.

The issue list keeps shrinking with my current setup (even solved MCE keyboard not responding !), so very soo it will be time to unleash for the whole family to use.

Good Luck Warren, with making your setup behave.

I'm curious, how did you get the keyboard working?
@gjwAudi

Sorry I don't often read sig's. I'll look at that option too now.

Mine setup is okay, I have 2 xbmc backends serving tv's around the house. I use HDMI over Ethernet (HDMI extenders) to deliver the data to the TV's. I also use IR over Ethernet to control the devices Smile

Good luck too.
(2013-10-11, 05:34)teeedubb Wrote: I'm curious, how did you get the keyboard working?

Ah-HA... BUSTED !

@teeedubb

I have yet to write the post - the one that I wish Noobie-ME had come across, searching high, low, and in between for an answer to the MCE keyboard problem. Remember, Me-No-Linux - (as opposed to KNOW-Linux !!)

Hint: enable the existing protocol.

I need to do up the full story - especially warning of the outdated advice and dead-ends.

Coming Soon... to a Forum Near You Wink
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
me too I have this problem:
Anything worked fine using Ubuntu, Win XPsp3 or Win7.
But then I discovered that Ubuntu doesn't support the tiny SIS-onboard-graphics any longer.
I've tried several AGP-cards (Matrox, ATI, Nvidia Gforce6200), with and without the newest drivers:
All work fine - but XBMC doesnt start any longer via Windows..
(removing the card, it will start again)
I have the same problem i updated my graphics drivers yesterday and today i get the GUI file error message any help would be greatly appreciated as i cannot run XBMC at the moment
I had the same problem.....all i did just un install display card and reinstalled it and it works
having the same issue but due to advancedsetting.xml file. when removing this file gotham launches safely. The same advancedsetting.xml file worked well with XBMC Frodo.

any ideas?
I run xbmc 13.1 on windows 7 x64. XBMC was working fine but then one day it started giving "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting" error while starting up

Below steps resolved it for me

1) Go to C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
2) Open guisettings.xml in notepad or an xml editor
3) Look for following XML tags and you will see some values in place of x and y below
<window>
<height>x</height>
<width>y</width>
</window>

4) Change values as below
<window>
<height>722</height>
<width>908</width>
</window>

5) Restart xbmc

Good luck!
Hi,

I try to run Kodi on a Windows Server 2008 R2 running on a VPS, I got this error message when I try to lunch the app:

kodi error unable to create gui

Why I got this and how to fix it? All hint on this thread don't fix my issue.

Need help please. Thanks,

Guillaume
Any idea?

Also I try with Windows Server 2012 R2 and I do not get this issue, but I need to use Windows Server 2008 R2 instead. The issue happen only with 2008 R2.
I had the same error and it occorred every night. Every night i let Big SCreen EPG refresh the EPG from windows media center. And then it hit me!

When i let Kodi run as a user that has almost no rights, and i log in a second time as admin to run bigscreen EPG, and i switch back the i get this error.

I changed my windows task schedular to a batch file under the user with almost no rights with a cmd that run EPG big screen as admin under the user that has almost no rights.

And for my entertainment, this is the xml file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.2" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2015-09-26T14:52:36.3864455</Date>
    <Author>BSD05.NL\bezoeker</Author>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <CalendarTrigger>
      <StartBoundary>2015-09-26T04:00:00</StartBoundary>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <ScheduleByDay>
        <DaysInterval>1</DaysInterval>
      </ScheduleByDay>
    </CalendarTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>BSD05.NL\bezoeker</UserId>
      <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>false</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT1H</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe</Command>
      <Arguments>/profile /savecred /user:bsd05\administrator "C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Screen\Big Screen EPG\bsetool.exe -all"</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>
Hey I know this is an old thread but I found a quick solution to this problem.

Had kodi running fine for hours then restarted it on a black screen and boom get this error.

What I did was go to device manager > display adapters > GTX 970 (or whatever your graphics card is) right click uninstall.
Your screen will flicker and go low res, if you are on Windows 8 or higher just wait a moment your graphics driver will reinstall itself.
Windows 7 or lower just download your graphics driver and reinstall it.
Worked like a charm Smile
Hi,

same thing here with a GTX960. Screen goes black after few minutes of playback. I press X, then ALT+F4.
When I start again Kodi 15.2 (Dx11 version) , i get this error message .
Disabling/reactivating the GPU in device manager works but it's not user friendly.
Win10 + Latest nvidia Driver installed

Kodi's log : http://pastebin.com/J9y9Xv1P
I reinstalled not-DX11-version of Kodi 15.2 and my problem seems to be gone.
I'll keep you in touch if it happens again.

I hope 16 Jarvis will be compatible with my system if it uses DX11 as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"0