cloning XBMC USB flash
I am running Ubuntu on the computer. I have a couple flash drives for friends with ATV 1 and want me to do an XBMC install.
I did one and it worked fine. I did another and the screen went to the OPENELEC icon and then back to the apple icon and booted to the ATV.
So i read about cloning a drive. So i did that using the DD command in ubuntu.

Then i got it to boot and come up with updating kernel
overrighting flash/ mach kernal?
So i figured i screwed up the DD command some how.

THEN i thought about just making an image on the hard drive and then doing a DD copy from the image. I got the image but it wont let me touch the USB blank flash because it says permission denied. I have tried everything but it will not let me change permissions.

I am at wits end on this and cant figure out what i did wrong. I just want to make a clone of my USB
What dd-command did you use?
If you USB-Sticks are same size, or the arget is larger, you can use

sudo dd if=/dev/sdS of=/dev/sdT

where S is the drive letter of the Source stick and T the letter of the target. And "sudo" will fix your permission denied problem.

If you did something like

sudo dd if=/dev/sdS1 of=myCopyOnDisk

you will miss partition size and boot sector on the clone when copying back.
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

Honestly i would like to just copy the XBMC data folder so i dont have to do the install of OPENELEC and then go in and select each add on and configure it and all that. I have several people who want XBMC on their ATV 1. (Next time ill know not to tell everyone i know wow this is great you can relaly make your Apple tv work great again.)
Anyway i thought i could just clone the USB. They are identical in size same usb maker.
BUt it seems to take forever so i thought maybe just the XBMC folder?

Either way just so i get it done.
Well then just copy the xbmc folder.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It won't let me says I don't have permission
Use sudo
It says permission denied. I can't drag the contents over either.
Ok so you have two usb flash drives, both mounted. Lets call the mountpoints /media/flasha and /media/flashb

You need to do something like

Code:
sudo rsync -avpP /media/flasha/path/to/.xbmc /media/flashb/path/to
I am not sure exactly what the path is but it should be easy to find.
What will this do? And how do I find the path
It will copy the entire contents of the .xbmc directory on flasha to flashb. You said you just wanted to copy the xbmc settings, that is where the settings are stored. I dont know eactly where the path is on your system.
Oh ok I will try that. Thank you for your help. New Linux user here. Although I have used terminal in my Mac for years.
How do you find the path?
I know the path to Xbmc what I meant is do I put in media/ whatever the flash name is?
When I type the first line I just get a long list of options and then rsync error syntax or usage error code 1 at main.c(1521)
rsync basically copies files from source to target, but one can add options to only backup changed files.

-a turns on archive mode, this will consider recursively all files in the source tree, -v adds some verbosity, -P keeps partially transferred files, -p keeps file permissions.

Somehow I get the impression, your target stick has some flaws. Can you do
Code:
sudo touch /media/flashb/path/to/test

This tries to create a file test in the target directory.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cloning XBMC USB flash0