Benchmarking thread??
Like many of you before, I'm trying to read as much as possible to make an informed decision on my next set top box. I'm reading here, the xbmchub forums, the android xmbc forums, the xda developers forums, minixforums....the amount of content is endless to say the least. I stumbled upon a android comparison on youtube by a kid that goes by 'somecooltech1'. He had a pretty nice comparison of the different features and since they are all android he could bench mark them. Now there are tons of different products available to us at this point and because they run on separate platforms I imagine a benchmark comparison between them would be difficult but i'll ask non the less. Is there a thread out there that goes through a box by box comparison of how the system runs under specific tests? ?

Some background and what i'm looking for: I already have 2 PC's running xmbc. I am very happy using WMC with 2 xbox360's as extenders bc it passes the wifey approval test. It just works, and works well. My theater room runs the main hub machine and has no problem running xmbc. But my other rooms are pretty much limited by the 360's video format selection. I'd love to replace them smaller dedicated set top boxes. I'm sick of using bandaids like ps3mediaserver and the like to get content that the 360 doesn't natively play. I'd say around 100-150 bucks is what i'm looking to spend. I simply want a small client to run xmbc, to use plugins available to us with smooth playback. I want a client that will stream movies from my lan w/o tons of jitter and latency.

I just bought a neo x5 after the somecooltech kid rated it so highly but i have to say i'm not all that happy with the playback thus far. Ive only had it for two days and until i loaded the XAF build of xmbc i couldn't get some of my videos to even play. I just got done reading some raving reviews of the OUYA. Then I stumbled upon this thread ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=164977&page=2 ) about the Gbox midnight mx2 which has a video showing the experience and i'd say it just shot up to #1 based on this video, its very snappy and has no problems with the content he threw at it. I'd love to see an honest, none biased comparison of them using some type of similar testing/benchmarking software. Does such a topic exist??
Tons of threads and comparison of android boxes on the hardware forums: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

You have to be careful of the users who "really really" like a certain box, but only have a handful of posts to their names. It might be a real customer, but it could also just be a spammer.

There's no real benchmarking that can be done unless it's just GUI speed. Video hardware decoding often is all or nothing, though sometimes there are some specific issues (rockchips having problems with 1080 decoding, for example).
A thread such as you are looking for does not exist yet.
I have been looking into setting up a 'test suite' of files with common codecs and formats that could be downloaded and tried by people to get a nice view of the capabilities of different hardware, when using different builds etc.

This is a long time project however, I don't think I will have anything ready soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Benchmarking thread??0