Win Can XBMC see HDMI capture card input?
Hi guys,

I plan to get a Roku and add my subscription services to it.
Is there any way I can plug this into the "HDMI in" port on a HDMI capture card installed on my HTPC, and have XBMC display the output as if it were a TV channel?

I understand this would obviously mean I would have to control the Roku box with its own dedicated remote, but I would rather have everything running through the same interface (XBMC).

Is this possible?

Thanks for your advice!
The correct way to do this is to connect your Roku box to your TV/AVR, just like with any other appliance.
(2013-07-09, 19:32)negge Wrote: The correct way to do this is to connect your Roku box to your TV/AVR, just like with any other appliance.

What a completely infantile, useless reply.
Did you not read my initial post? I know how to connect an appliance to my TV's HDMI port, thanks.
I was specifically asking if XBMC's PVR front-end can display input from a capture card that didn't have a tuner (such as an HDMI capture card).

If your intention is to be condescending, don't bother posting at all.
It's possible hdcp permitting but there would be an annoying lag using the Roku remote.

Martin
im not sure if this would work, as the pvr addons ive tried all use an epg.

i think you will have more definate answers on using hdmi outputs as inputs in the support forums for the supported pvr backends. ie mediaportal,nextpvr etc. because xbmc has little to do with selecting inputs i think, rather switching frequencies on the backend selected input. i hope this makes sense?

D.
(2013-07-10, 04:29)emveepee Wrote: It's possible hdcp permitting but there would be an annoying lag using the Roku remote.

Martin

Thanks Martin. Smile
I don't mind using an additional remote, It would just be a lot easier interface-wise, since I can have everything running through the HTPC.
Also, I have an adalight system which runs off it, and this is the only way I can have the Roku box take advantage of it.

So you're saying it's definitely possible? I can just go and buy a PCI HDMI capture card then? Or will XBMC only detect certain brands/types?
(2013-07-10, 04:31)Dam0 Wrote: im not sure if this would work, as the pvr addons ive tried all use an epg.

i think you will have more definate answers on using hdmi outputs as inputs in the support forums for the supported pvr backends. ie mediaportal,nextpvr etc. because xbmc has little to do with selecting inputs i think, rather switching frequencies on the backend selected input. i hope this makes sense?

D.

Hi Dan,

I think I know what you mean. So the PVR add-on specifically looks for DVB-T frequencies from the tuner card?
If that's the case, then that pretty much stops my idea in its tracks lol.
(2013-07-10, 04:33)djcorvus Wrote: I don't mind using an additional remote, It would just be a lot easier interface-wise, since I can have everything running through the HTPC.
Also, I have an adalight system which runs off it, and this is the only way I can have the Roku box take advantage of it.

So you're saying it's definitely possible? I can just go and buy a PCI HDMI capture card then? Or will XBMC only detect certain brands/types?

I was expecting you'd be using a PVR backend on the HTPC. The lag will probably be about 5 seconds likely more.

Martin
Here is a wiki article on how to use foxtel (paytv) with mythtv. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Foxtel_Digital_(Australia) . Similar concept, but as others have mentioned you would have to look into whether the roku uses hdcp (most likely, content providers would demand it, and the wiki article I linked to mentions using a analog input, does the roku have a analog output?) and a EPG (you can get foxtel EPG online) otherwise you would only be able to watch the roku and not schedule recordings. Mythtv can change channels using a ir blaster for scheduled recordings, not sure if xbmc would be able to do the same for live roku.
I think you'll be disappointed in the results.

Seems a bit if a waste of time, I think you should follow negge's advice.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am also looking to watch video from a USB hdmi capture device. If I can view it with VLC player, logic would state that KODI should some how be able to view it as well. its just a matter of configuration. 
There are services I can only get with an app on a streaming device like Roku or the NVIDIA  Sheld. And the crunchyRoll app in KODI is creepy, I can not find a solution for Hidive, BiliBili and others inside of KODI, thus making the need for a Roku or something else a requirement.
Since VLC Player can do it, that means the required code is available and just needs packaged into KODI. Id build it but I suck at this new programing "Language" Give me back my Cobal

This grumpy old man Needs HDMI capture for
- Streaming device needed for steaming services that do not play nice with Kodi.
- Blue ray 4k player
- my old Ti 994a

I have a cheap HDMI to USB C capture for each device cause I am crazy like that. it works in VLC so the proof of concept is valid.

The idea is to have a one stop control for all media. Despite the comments I have seen, I really do not see this as a silly requirement.
As noted earlier in this 10 year old thread I used an continue to use several HDMI and component capture devices with NextPVR and feed those into Kodi via pvr.nextpvr.  There is a use case for HDMI capture for sure but that doesn't necessarily mean that Kodi should become a content creator in addition to being a media player.

Martin
(2023-10-08, 16:25)emveepee Wrote: As noted earlier in this 10 year old thread I used an continue to use several HDMI and component capture devices with NextPVR and feed those into Kodi via pvr.nextpvr.  There is a use case for HDMI capture for sure but that doesn't necessarily mean that Kodi should become a content creator in addition to being a media player.

Martin

probably best you don't decide what others can do with their kodi - everyone can do as they wish
(2023-10-16, 04:12)izprtxqkft Wrote: probably best you don't decide what others can do with their kodi - everyone can do as they wish
Perhaps follow your own rule and don't decide what others can suggest.

In any case there are many HDMI grabbers and while the recent post is probably about the cheap UVA/UVC devices for the topic of PVR there is a lot more to content.  Tuning, EPG scheduling etc become important and the backend has to support it.  As for a request for a new media source for video it could sense and PR's are always welcome.

Martin
Good post and how is allowing HDMI viewing in Kodi content creation? I find that idea both interesting and vexing.
Looks like I need to check out NEXPVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can XBMC see HDMI capture card input?0