Best small box to run XBMC
Hi guys, Im kinda new on this great thing that is XBMC, I have use it on Windows (may PC) and I love it, but I will like to have it on a small box (like a ATV Black), I don't have the money to make a dedicated HTPC, but I can buy a small Box solution for it $100 aprox, like an ATV2 or a Raspberry Pi.

I ask you guys what will be the best option for me, I like the APT2 but afaik don't have an USB, and I want to have lan connection (wireless or wired) and USB port so I can stream media from my main PC or play media inserted on an USB device.

What products should I look for? in other words I will like to have a XBMC box like it was a roku, Asus O!Play, or something like that, with lan capabilities, remote control, and usb storage, I don't want internal storage for economy and size reasons.

Is the XIOS DS Media Play my best option?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ale.
Quote:Is the XIOS DS Media Play my best option?

Yes, it is most stable box and has actual XBMC devs working on it.
The Raspberry Pi is the cheapest solution, particularly if you have a wired LAN connection to it and a CEC compliant TV (in other words the TV remote can control XBMC). It is also being continuously worked on, and unlike most devices, is actually getting faster rather than slower with newer software!
If you like tinkering, there are lots of tweaks and additions you can make to it - example here how to make any remote work with it for <$2.

In summary, if the $30-40 price difference between them is important or you like tinkering, then get a Pi.
If you do not want the hassle, or you feel the extra money is worth a faster slighly better featured unit, then get the Pivos XiosSmile
I have just bought a Pi and spent a lot of time online working out how to use it, set it up and configure etc.

I wanted XBMC to run upstairs in the bedroom as a secondary to my main HTPC in the living room downstairs. So far I have been running it for about 5 days and I have pretty much finished tinkering with it now and it works a treat.

As long as you realise that Menu navigation and GUI is never going to be lightening fast, then you won't have any problems. There are many lightweight skins that will help you move around the menus without any problems, but it will not be as responsive as you are used to on a big powerful HTPC. Although saying that I have never ONCE had any problems with the quality of the playback or streaming. It's perfect.

You don't really need to know how to code, I installed NOOBS on my SD Card and then followed the instructions to install RaspBMC. Lots of playing around changing settings and now it's all good.

I bought the following

Pi (Model B 512mb)
Wireless Nano TP Link (works better wired, but I have not found any issues yet, but I realise it is early days)
Powered USB 7 port hub
1A Micro USB Charger
8GB Class 10 SD Card
HDMI to DVI Cable (I'm using a 19 inch HP Monitor that I had lying around)
Sound bar for the above monitor (just a USB attachable stereo soundbar)
MCE Remote
Memory Card reader for my comp to install OS on

All in all - the whole lot cost me £70

All my media is stored on a FREENAS Nas and streams no problem.
I would recommend the GeniaTech EnjoyTv 520 Dual Core Box. This is the company who manufacturers Pivos, Cyclone and JynxBox. The EnjoyTv520 has much better specs then the current Pivos and JynxBox products and can run XBMC right out of the box without the need to run Linux or test 20 different builds to find one that works.

The best part is even with its better specs it can be purchased for cheaper then the Pivos.
(2013-07-18, 15:58)Packetcrypt Wrote: I would recommend the GeniaTech EnjoyTv 520 Dual Core Box. This is the company who manufacturers Pivos, Cyclone and JynxBox. The EnjoyTv520 has much better specs then the current Pivos and JynxBox products and can run XBMC right out of the box without the need to run Linux or test 20 different builds to find one that works.

The best part is even with its better specs it can be purchased for cheaper then the Pivos.
+1

i got mine few days ago and i'm very happy with that
(2013-07-18, 13:13)mayoman Wrote: The Raspberry Pi is the cheapest solution, particularly if you have a wired LAN connection to it and a CEC compliant TV (in other words the TV remote can
Not true. A bare RaspberryPi system (ie plus case and P/S) is around $70-80. If you want a WiFi dongle and SD card etc, then you are looking at around $110-120+.

You can get most dual core android boxes for around $80 (ie the GeniaTech EnjoyTv 520 Dual Core Box is US$77) - and this is everything you need. You could get a quad core android box for around $100 or so - still cheaper than a full Raspberry Pi.

What the Raspberry Pi has going for it is the community support - and that can be quite a valuable asset.
yeah on the cheap, the $77 ENJOY TV 520 is a no brainer...
it works with hardware decode...

if OUYA would have a stable XBMC build with hardware decode
it would have been even better since its a QuadCore...
but no go for now in my opinion....
(2013-08-22, 12:42)eskro Wrote: yeah on the cheap, the $77 ENJOY TV 520 is a no brainer...
it works with hardware decode...

if OUYA would have a stable XBMC build with hardware decode
it would have been even better since its a QuadCore...
but no go for now in my opinion....
I'm sure the OUYA will get a very stable Android XBMC soon, but being tegra based we'll never see it work under linux.

What I don't like of OUYA is the fan.
People is looking for ARM devices because they want no noise at all and low power consumption, otherwise they would look for an atom device.

It's the best option if you really care about that game platform, but if you only are looking for a media player it's a no-go IMHO.
(2013-08-22, 11:45)kneighbour Wrote:
(2013-07-18, 13:13)mayoman Wrote: The Raspberry Pi is the cheapest solution, particularly if you have a wired LAN connection to it and a CEC compliant TV (in other words the TV remote can
Not true. A bare RaspberryPi system (ie plus case and P/S) is around $70-80. If you want a WiFi dongle and SD card etc, then you are looking at around $110-120+.

You can get most dual core android boxes for around $80 (ie the GeniaTech EnjoyTv 520 Dual Core Box is US$77) - and this is everything you need. You could get a quad core android box for around $100 or so - still cheaper than a full Raspberry Pi.

What the Raspberry Pi has going for it is the community support - and that can be quite a valuable asset.

You know,..I'm really glad you said that.
I agree,..Raspberry Pi sure can appear tempting,.....but you just can't forget to add in the cost of the "extras" as you pointed out.
Not saying that's bad,...and I'm not bashing the Pi,..only agreeing that it's easy to forget to budget for the total cost.
RPi is best for technically aware folks that can get the price of good parts (or already owned parts) down to £40

otherwise for a novice best of getting a ready built system such as the Ouya and just concentrate on software.
(2013-07-18, 15:58)Packetcrypt Wrote: I would recommend the GeniaTech EnjoyTv 520 Dual Core Box. This is the company who manufacturers Pivos, Cyclone and JynxBox. The EnjoyTv520 has much better specs then the current Pivos and JynxBox products and can run XBMC right out of the box without the need to run Linux or test 20 different builds to find one that works.

Is it possible to update XBMC as new versions are released?

I've been using Apple TV 2 for years and been thinking of trying an android box but I'm not familiar with android system.

Please let me know.

Thank you!
The ATV520 does not come with XBmC Out of the Box.

Is it easy to install XBMC on this device?

FYI, in Germany we pay approximately 65,- EUR for Pi, case, power supply and 16GB SD-Card. As opposed to this, the ATV520 costs about 100,- EUR.

Can both devices Play Big 1080p MKV-files?
Regards,
Dennis
so from this thread so far I gather the GeniaTech EnjoyTv 520 is the best choice at the moment? Better than the Pivos?

I just had the motherboard fry on my zotac AD-12 in the bedroom, need to replace it ASAP!

how does the Geniatech compare to the G-box Midnight MX2?
(2013-08-22, 20:20)Heinzpsx Wrote: The ATV520 does not come with XBmC Out of the Box.

Is it easy to install XBMC on this device?
Usually it comes with xbmc preinstalled, but even if you get one with an older firmware just press the "update" button and you get the new firmware with latest xbmc 12.2 preinstalled.

(2013-08-22, 20:20)Heinzpsx Wrote: FYI, in Germany we pay approximately 65,- EUR for Pi, case, power supply and 16GB SD-Card. As opposed to this, the ATV520 costs about 100,- EUR.
From aliexpress you can get ATV520 for 58€ shipping included.
I bought mine months ago for 69€.

(2013-08-22, 20:20)Heinzpsx Wrote: Can both devices Play Big 1080p MKV-files?
Yes they both can.
About ATV520 you can have a look at the tread where i posted a video sample of 1080p playback with high bitrate http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1487033

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best small box to run XBMC0