Parse RAR files to read media files in them
fyi, as you can see in this development thread (link) damien7579 said he started coding this but not updated the thread in a while
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
hi i have a film but it is about 90 rar files what do i have to do
to whatch it from the hd on the xbox
the box plays avi files without any problem even subs with xbmc
help please
kinky koen
umm you need to unrar it.

rar files are archived files. the movie is contained in them. kinda like how you would unzip a zipped file. but it's split into a number of files.

google for winrar and use it to unrar the movie.
on a pc there's no app (that i know of) that plays media straight from the rar's- why should xbmc be any different?- the fact is unless you were using the python bit torrent script the rar's would have been on your pc's hd first and winrar will extract it on your pc for you

the compression in rar archive is not particularly great compared to the uncompressed source (you may get 5% reduction) if the resulting image is >4gb then stream it from your pc rather than move it to the xbox hd (unless you have only a fat32 partition on your hd and the uncompressed file is >4gb- in which case- you're stumped)

if its added then cool- but it doesn't seem to me to be an urgent addition

could xbmc realisticaly handle unrarring and playing back at the same time- i have a two year old athlon pc- which is by no means cutting edge but certainly more powerful than an xbox (friendtech or otherwise) and unrarring an archive is fairly cpu intensive
Sad 
@devs; fyi, looks like mplayer added unrarlib to thier cvs, i'm not sure for what reason (or why they choose unrarlib, it's quite old).
i think/guess they may have added it for the sole reason to read ( uncompress / unpack) vobsub's directly from rar archive, or?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
g'day

i'm just wondering if compressed subtitle is on the current features list for xbmc?

thanks
binh
Sad 
no!, (not yet), always read faq => http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_faq....er_one_faq
though not yet implemented in cvs, there is a patch that apparently does the trick (haven't tried yet).

go check out http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=7443

the patch is at http://sourceforge.net/tracker....=581840

it's a new patch, so i imagine it'll probably go through some further dev/testing before implemented to cvs.

-munde

edit note: damn urls....
this may be a stupid question but i ask it anyway

i like to be able to play my movies without uncompress the movie(90 rar files) into a img or a avi.

maby this is impossible?
search button don´t work
look on the top of the screen. you didn't even search your screen for the seach button?

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

(cosycat @ may 20 2005,20:55 Wrote:search button don´t work
lol, yes it does.
(mpauley73 @ may 20 2005,21:01 Wrote:Image
lol no try and you see No
omg please tell me your joking.

they are talking about the actual search button at the top of the screen, not the posted pic of the search button in the post.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parse RAR files to read media files in them0