Parse RAR files to read media files in them
.. yes i´m joking :joker: sorry if i took up your time
i would like to be able to unrar rar-files on the xbox using xbmc, any chance of this happening?
i (with help from stgcoli) have made code to do this.

but i'll have to clean it up before committing. dunno when this will be
is there any chance that this will work somehow? i don't think there is a solution to this but i thought i just ask.
i'm working on it, and has it working for some files, then again it fails miserably for others.. dunno why as of yet, and a pain to figure out since the unrar code is undocumented..
@spiff

i just wanted to thank you for adding rar support to xbmc.
my fresh install on the last weekend was just a breeze.

now beeing able to transfer all milkdrop/g-force presets and wheather gfx with just a frew files did really speed things up and saves space on my harddisk.

:bowdown:

bernd
Sad 
@spiff, (maybe the technical dicsussion should be moved to a new separate thread in the development forum just just) wondering which unrar code/library you used and where you got it from? ...there are many open sourced rar/unrar libs aviailable but only a few (if any?) that are up-to-date to full handle and uncompress the latest rar-archives (made with winrar 3.x), so guess you will have to write a lot of the code yourself (or merge different gpl'ed libs?)?

ps! oh and yeah, thank you abd stgcoli very much for implementing unrar (personaly i really missed it for rared vobsubs) :thumbsup:
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
gamester,

you're probably rightSmile

anyway, it's the official unrar 3.3.4 sources so it handles everything i've thrown at it (don't think there's any algorithmic changes in 3.4.x). see xbmc/lib/unrarxlib/readme.txt for creds.

just to get yer juices running. i currently play .mp3's (almost) flawlessly straight from the .rar streamed over network. playing a .mp3 is actually quite hard due to all the tag reading etc. just need to find the remaining bug, then hopefully playback of e.g. .avi and .img from stored rars is not too far away.

spiff
(spiff @ june 21 2005,20:30 Wrote:gamester,

you're probably rightSmile

anyway, it's the official unrar 3.3.4 sources so it handles everything i've thrown at it (don't think there's any algorithmic changes in 3.4.x). see xbmc/lib/unrarxlib/readme.txt for creds.

just to get yer juices running. i currently play .mp3's (almost) flawlessly straight from the .rar streamed over network. playing a .mp3 is actually quite hard due to all the tag reading etc. just need to find the remaining bug, then hopefully playback of e.g. .avi and .img from stored rars is not too far away.

spiff
i guess it will work for rar:ed "mp3+cdg" files to ?
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
Thumbs Up 
(spiff @ june 21 2005,19:30 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ june 21 2005,07:10 Wrote:@spiff, (maybe the technical dicsussion should be moved to a new separate thread in the development forum just just) wondering which unrar code/library you used and where you got it from? ...there are many open sourced rar/unrar libs aviailable but only a few (if any?) that are up-to-date to full handle and uncompress the latest rar-archives (made with winrar 3.x), so guess you will have to write a lot of the code yourself (or merge different gpl'ed libs?)?
it's the official unrar 3.3.4 sources so it handles everything i've thrown at it (don't think there's any algorithmic changes in 3.4.x). see xbmc/lib/unrarxlib/readme.txt for creds.
oh cool, i didn't know rarlab (the makers of winrar) open sourced unrar, but one would think that should be the best, ...btw, see that they recently released unrarsrc 3.5.2 :d
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i won't port any new version. the source base is pretty heavily bastardized by xbox needs and some threading stuff i'm using.
all good things come to those who wait Smile

- 04-08-2005 added: proper stored rar support.

now go play those avi's, those .imgs those .bins etc straight from stored rar files Smile

spiff
wooot!!!!!!!
dont work for me. trying to load an xvid from within 15mb packed rars, and a single rar file pack
works fine here. can't really help you except emphasize that they have to be stored rar's, no compression. with compression it has to cache to disk prior to starting the file (with a warning for files > 50mb). i'll add some more debugging code to the cvs later so we can figure out what's going on.

oh and with the new rar naming scheme (blalbla.part001.rar) be sure that you select the first archive. (this will be improved later, i'm just so sick'n'tired of coding on this right now....)

spiff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parse RAR files to read media files in them0