• 36(current)
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences
(2014-11-24, 13:11)fanoI Wrote: Hello to all, I'm testing the 4.2 firmware and I'm not really satisfied of it:

1. The TV output is stuck to 720p there is no way to change it in settings! (In previous firmwares the possibility existed)
  2. The DD passthrought is gone and, by the way, there are no audio settings anymore (this not worked in the last firmware too, but at least the setting was present... simply did nothing!)
  3. XMBC too is blocked to 720p!
Yes I could try the beta 1080p firmware but it has no more the Myjica Launcher and so it is not adapt to TV use... the icons are too little if I understand correctly.

IMHO this device is not a serious Mediacenter now too little possibility of customizations really...

Just has a new learning curve.
1. You have to go to Media box settings in 4.2. This now controls the network/ video/ audio settings. Disable auto and select 1080P. On my TV the box auto selects 1080p.

2. Similar to (#1), use Media Box Settings for audio settings. Firmware 4.1 had an audio setting for passthrough. Firmware 4.2 is now software control in XBMC Gotham 13. Android boxes have never been known for passthrough but it does work.

3. XBMC has always been 720p upscale to 1080p on the MX box running Android. Even when you fix (#1) this will remain 720p.

4. The MyGica North America launcher didn't disappear when I updated the firmware. Ask the vendor you bought it from to send you a copy of launcher. It installs just like an app. MyGica Canada also had copies of other launchers if you can't get a copy. Alternatively, you might be able to pull it from the 4.1 firmware if you unzip it. Look under system then apps. The APK is called mygica.

I am surprised that launcher is still in use. I visited the MyGica USA office to pick up some M3's with Android 2.1 almost 2 years ago when they where working on the ATV520 release and they were testing the launcher. There is a new launcher coming when they release the MyGica Store is release. Think they call it a MAG Launcher.

I have one box running 4.1 and one running 4.2 on a side-by-side tv for test (a bit of a hobby for me).
Noted differences between Android 4.1 and 4.2
- The upgrade is over a year late. All other vendors have been on 4.2 for a long time.
- Auntutu shows an increase score. Up to 15k when configured to run xbmc only. Android 4.1 was 9K.
- More custamizable (all the modifying apps need 4.2 to gain more control over the box).

Overall, once you program it correctly you will be happier. I now auto launch to XBMC (bypass the MyGica USA launcher).

As for a serious media center, yeah well this boxes are phones with hdmi ports. If you want to experience XBMC has it was designed to work try an Intel NUC with an i5 under a full linux kernel. These chinese settop are more for the XBMChub TV-Add-on player market.
If you plan on using those boxes only for XBMC (Kodi), then you should try this :
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180446

Full native XBMC, no more android, and then it becomes a "serious" media center ;-)
(2014-11-24, 22:54)NeBouse Wrote: If you plan on using those boxes only for XBMC (Kodi), then you should try this :
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180446

Full native XBMC, no more android, and then it becomes a "serious" media center ;-)

Dedicated XBMC Player:
Those linux builds, BusyBox Linux running the Mali firmware, helps lighten up device but were never completed and now the market has move on to the quad cores. I made the flashing video on the linked post almost a year ago. I didn't know it was going to be posted there or I would have it made it better. I wouldn't recommend newer users from flashing their boxes to a project that appears will not be completed.

I am working on a guide to remove all the bloatware from android and making it a dedicated XBMC player. Similar to what Pivos is doing.

MX Linux Testing:
I have a different box running each one of those builds and they all have bugs. The most annoying part is the lack of standby and the shutdown procedure was never completed. XDA is the only ones releases newer updates and I believe they have move on. Moreover, being on anything before 13.2 is not recommended.

Upgradeability:
Kodi Helix 14 (stable) is coming out soon and the beta builds are showing lots of improvements. I would recommend current Android users staying on Android until you can use Kodi 14 in stable form and decide then.The BusyBox Linux Builds are not easy to update.

Market:
The market is now focus on Openelec Linux for the quad core chips (S802 and S805). The result are impressive. Even the GBOX MX2 dual core has great improvements with Openelec linux. Unfortunately, it is not available for the geniatech dual core or the quad (ATV582).
(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: I am working on a guide to remove all the bloatware from android and making it a dedicated XBMC player. Similar to what Pivos is doing.
I honestly don't think you'll get anything smoother than running a linux build on this box.
Android itself is slowing down the device, added to this that it's an old version (4.2)

(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: MX Linux Testing:
I have a different box running each one of those builds and they all have bugs. The most annoying part is the lack of standby and the shutdown procedure was never completed. XDA is the only ones releases newer updates and I believe they have move on. Moreover, being on anything before 13.2 is not recommended.
Latest build by croniccorey (1.01) doesn't have serious bugs, except for the lack of standby if you consider it a bug.
Shutdown procedure is working as it should.
XBMC version on this build is 13.2
If you read the link i gave 2 posts above, you could see that some updates are made (by AuxBox), latest build is from 21/11/14.
They are based on Croniccorey Git, which is still updated from time to time.
Corey stated on XDA that with his new job, he doesn't have time to update the builds frequently, but still updates his Git.
He also stated that he would provide a new build himself, with some improvements, but only once Kodi 14 (Helix) is out.

(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: Upgradeability:
Kodi Helix 14 (stable) is coming out soon and the beta builds are showing lots of improvements. I would recommend current Android users staying on Android until you can use Kodi 14 in stable form and decide then.The BusyBox Linux Builds are not easy to update.
I agree updating on Android is simple, just an APK to install.
But i wouldn't say that inserting an SDcard and pressing 2 buttons is something really difficult.

(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: Market:
The market is now focus on Openelec Linux for the quad core chips (S802 and S805). The result are impressive. Even the GBOX MX2 dual core has great improvements with Openelec linux. Unfortunately, it is not available for the geniatech dual core or the quad (ATV582).
Yes, as you say, unfortunately...
And i don't think Codesnake will agree to port it to our boxes (G02REF) for free.
(2014-11-26, 22:39)NeBouse Wrote:
(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: I am working on a guide to remove all the bloatware from android and making it a dedicated XBMC player. Similar to what Pivos is doing.
I honestly don't think you'll get anything smoother than running a linux build on this box.
Android itself is slowing down the device, added to this that it's an old version (4.2)

(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: MX Linux Testing:
Latest build by croniccorey (1.01) doesn't have serious bugs, except for the lack of standby if you consider it a bug.
Shutdown procedure is working as it should.
XBMC version on this build is 13.2
If you read the link i gave 2 posts above, you could see that some updates are made (by AuxBox), latest build is from 21/11/14.
They are based on Croniccorey Git, which is still updated from time to time.
Corey stated on XDA that with his new job, he doesn't have time to update the builds frequently, but still updates his Git.
He also stated that he would provide a new build himself, with some improvements, but only once Kodi 14 (Helix) is out.

(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: Upgradeability:
I agree updating on Android is simple, just an APK to install.
But i wouldn't say that inserting an SDcard and pressing 2 buttons is something really difficult.

(2014-11-25, 01:06)xbmcdoc Wrote: Market:
Yes, as you say, unfortunately...
And i don't think Codesnake will agree to port it to our boxes (G02REF) for free.

I installed the XDA update the day it came out. It is a great build but on occasion freezes mostly on mp4 playback. Nothing a reboot won't fix. Redecoding to MKV helps.

Lack of standby is huge as the chip will burn being on all the time. I help people program their boxes all the time. Most of the feedback I get on the linux build is shutting down everyday is something they do not like to do. Also, since the lights remain on they think it is still on. No power is running through the USB or the board but still not perceived well. To my surprise even tough it is as easy as unplugging it or cutting the power on a surge protector power strip it is still not liked.

I spoke to my Geniatech contact today and demo the gbox running openelec to them. He is going to request they port over the openelec to their dual core and quad core models. I'm not holding my breath though. The M3 Linux got updated to Gotham 13.1 and hopefully they can update their dual core models to at least version to 13.2.
(2014-11-17, 00:42)AuXBoX Wrote: I'll make one one up and post. You most likely wont need the usb to serial adapter and terra term.
Hopefully all you need is the bootcard

Hey boss any update....... Thanks in advance for your time and help
(2014-12-03, 20:15)sunnyhero Wrote:
(2014-11-17, 00:42)AuXBoX Wrote: I'll make one one up and post. You most likely wont need the usb to serial adapter and terra term.

Any luck Sunnyhero? Someone mailed me a ATV1200 and I was successfully able to unbrick it. Let me know if you need a link to the file. I think it was the same files send by AuXBoX a few post up.
Video showing how to make a Boot SD Card using the Amlogic Tool that came out I think in 2011. Worked last time I needed it.

Amlogic Tool
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lm0bskcl0fqz...YhUra?dl=0

Files to Downgrade to Android 4,1
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c8u88k9ksqwef...LW9Pa?dl=0
The down grade link for 4.1 is dead could you supply another link. Also is there a tutorial for unbricking thanks Coley
(2015-01-19, 23:21)coley65 Wrote: The down grade link for 4.1 is dead could you supply another link. Also is there a tutorial for unbricking thanks Coley

Links should work now. I don't have a guide I usually just go on what I read on the forums. Which box do you have?
(2015-01-02, 07:47)xbmcdoc Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 20:15)sunnyhero Wrote:

Any luck Sunnyhero? Someone mailed me a ATV1200 and I was successfully able to unbrick it. Let me know if you need a link to the file. I think it was the same files send by AuXBoX a few post up.

NO luck yet but i am going to try with your new advise and will update you this weekend. Anyway thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Hello everyone. I write just to confirm that I have tried both the 1080p video test and the "o" key in _XBMC and XBMC in mygica 520 plays the videos in full hd 1080p, the gui is in 720, but the movies plays in perfect 1080p.....

But I saw another not so good thing, with the "o" key you can see statistics, cpu usage, and things like that, and unfortunatly, the 2 cpu´s of ouer device suffer a lot playing full hd videos in some scenes.... maybe this is the cause of the feeling I have sometimes watching movies, that in some scenes the playback doesn´t seem to be as smooth as it should be, it is a pity, because the device was anounced to be perfect to play full hd movies, and I don´t know if it is absolutly true.....

More things I tried yesterday, I was able to play some advanced games with the Xbox 360 gamepad, and they played perfectly: air atack was great in the big screen, dead trigger, althoug it was in low quality graphics, played also perfect, and shadow gun was great......

It is a pity that the internal storage is so poor in this device, I bought it mostly to play movies, but I see that it can fight also with good games, it could have been a good gaming platfomr too.... but with less than 2 GB for the user, is difficult to install good big games...

I must say that it is great that the devices comes rooted, so I was able to install folder mount, app that I intensely recommend you all, to move the data of the android/obb folder, and then be able to install asphalt and nova 4 games.... I haven´t tried these 2 yet, I assume that they are not going to be played so flawlessly, because the are so advanced that I don´t think the 2 cores could handle them, but I will try it this afternoon.

Well, that is all I have to say about the device, it is not bad, but I am sure that the good, almost perfect one is going to be the 1800E+, great storage, quad core, a lot of usb ports, integrated bluetooth, what else can you ask for?...

Best regards.
(2015-01-21, 08:44)DrJ Wrote: Hello everyone. I write just to confirm that I have tried both the 1080p video test and the "o" key in _XBMC and XBMC in mygica 520 plays the videos in full hd 1080p, the gui is in 720, but the movies plays in perfect 1080p.....

But I saw another not so good thing, with the "o" key you can see statistics, cpu usage, and things like that, and unfortunatly, the 2 cpu´s of ouer device suffer a lot playing full hd videos in some scenes.... maybe this is the cause of the feeling I have sometimes watching movies, that in some scenes the playback doesn´t seem to be as smooth as it should be, it is a pity, because the device was anounced to be perfect to play full hd movies, and I don´t know if it is absolutly true.....

More things I tried yesterday, I was able to play some advanced games with the Xbox 360 gamepad, and they played perfectly: air atack was great in the big screen, dead trigger, althoug it was in low quality graphics, played also perfect, and shadow gun was great......

It is a pity that the internal storage is so poor in this device, I bought it mostly to play movies, but I see that it can fight also with good games, it could have been a good gaming platfomr too.... but with less than 2 GB for the user, is difficult to install good big games...

I must say that it is great that the devices comes rooted, so I was able to install folder mount, app that I intensely recommend you all, to move the data of the android/obb folder, and then be able to install asphalt and nova 4 games.... I haven´t tried these 2 yet, I assume that they are not going to be played so flawlessly, because the are so advanced that I don´t think the 2 cores could handle them, but I will try it this afternoon.

Well, that is all I have to say about the device, it is not bad, but I am sure that the good, almost perfect one is going to be the 1800E+, great storage, quad core, a lot of usb ports, integrated bluetooth, what else can you ask for?...

Best regards.

Welcome. You covered a lot so I will try to break it down in parts. Only my options below based on my experiences nothing is to be taken too seriously.

1080P or 720P Upscale:
MyGica ATV520/e run up to Android 4.2 Kernel's for which to my knowledge all are 720P upscale. If you do indeed have a working android in true 1080P do send me the kernel and build numbers so I can get a copy. I will uploaded here for others. But first maybe you can confirm a few things to make sure it is indeed true 1080P.

Testing:
1. The"o" (test if you will) states the file specs not the playback resolution. If you go to video calibration you will see it should say 720P. You can also check the XBMC System Info, it should say 720P. Android will say 1080P but that is just the unscaled setting. There is one developers release that is 1080P in Android 4.2 but XBMC doesn't work correctly. Maybe you have a finish copy of that.

2. As for the 1080P Video test, you would see about 52 cubes per quadrant not just playback info on "o".

**** Please confirm as I would love a 1080P working copy.

Internal Storage:
Rooted is good, emulated SD is bad. That's how the product runs. The app you mentioned is similar to Link2SD which allows installation of large Apps on SD card through a system link. Under an emulated system you will not have the benefit of swapping internal storage to SD which is makes this box a bad choice for gaming.

Gaming:
As for gaming, I have a MyGica 582 with a S802 quad/Octa here and found it is not good for gaming. Unless you can confirm the ATV1800 can runs OpenG/L 3.0 I would say there is still more to ask for in the ATV1800e. Moreover, there are alternative boxes out there that are far cheaper and better suited for gaming than the ATV1800e.
Thanks share! Could you tell me whether the Mygica ATV520 support PVR or not?
I got my first try at A520e today and was extremely disappointed. I tried to flash with the Linux kodi 14.0 FW, but it turned out to be Gotham 13.2.

Since it was loaded, I gave it a shot, but was unable to connect to my wifi network. My access point would not show up in the network-manager 12.0.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

I flashed it back to android, 4.2 and it is running 12.2 frodo right now. Its okay, but seems a bit flakey at times, and I get a lot of buffering.

I'd prefer to get the linux running, because it will boot directly into xvmc so if anyone knows how I can connect to wifi, please advise.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences5