Linux Subtitle tearing
Hi,

When watching movies with subtitles the subtitles are tearing a little bit, the video behind seems unaffected. Why is that so? It isn't a big deal because you have to be pretty close to notice it, but once you have it's rather irritating.

Also, why is there TWO places for configuring subtitles during playback? The subtitle menu is empty but there's also a subtitle option under sound settings. Seems to me it would be more logical to have all subtitle settings in the same place.

Setup: Haswell HDMI -> Onkyo TX-NR616 -> Sony KDL-40EX503. OS: Ubuntu 13.04 with mainline 3.11-rc5 kernel. XBMC latest version from Ubuntu repositories.
enable v-sync
"XBMC latest version from Ubuntu repositories" is really old, use our ppa(s)

the subtitle menu you are referring to is probably the "subtitle download addon"
Thanks for the suggestions. The version in Ubuntu's repository is 12.0, from 2013-01-03, so not that old. V-sync was enabled. I've upgraded to 12.2 as suggested, no difference. As I said, the video doesn't tear, only the subtitles. Could it be a driver/hardware issue?
depends. does it happen with all subtitles? did you try different files and subtitle formats? Internal/external?

It would also be interesting if it also happens with a nightly gotham build.
Please elaborate on what you see. Do you see an offset from one line to another like real tearing or does it look more like this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/xwzm.png/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitle tearing1