[Feature request] 3D and HD play selector
I know that I can play 3D movies in XBMC specially with the latest nightly builds, however i am facing an issue when i have 2 files for the same movie, one in 3D and one for 2D HD,
currently I put them together under the same folder with .3d to distinguish the 3D version of the movie, however this results in duplicate posters under movies section, one for HD and one for 3D
what I am requesting is to have them both under the same movie poster in XBMC movies section, and being asked which version to play when I hit play the movie
The easiest thing to do is to convert your sources (BluRay) to a full SBS MKV. Then you have one file and you can decide to watch it in 2D FullHD or 3D FullHD with latest nightlies.
This is about the same feature request as the one for multiple versions of a movie for one library item (cinematic cut, directors cut, uncut) - Stereoscopic/3D is IMO in line with this handling.
(2013-08-26, 12:04)Hasu0bs Wrote: The easiest thing to do is to convert your sources (BluRay) to a full SBS MKV. Then you have one file and you can decide to watch it in 2D FullHD or 3D FullHD with latest nightlies.

You do that withh makemkv? You can chose full sbs there?
IIRC MakeMKV can only change header information. You will need to reencode your video in order to change the picture alignment. I think Handbrake can do that (but I dont know about its 3d capabilities)
Bluray MVC 3D support would be nice. Can be made with MakeMKV. That way you have 2D and 3D movie in same file taking up less space. Of course Xbmc should know how to display either of them correctly. A prompt when starting movie asking user which version he wants to play, would be nice.
(2013-08-27, 21:53)bleze Wrote: Bluray MVC 3D support would be nice. Can be made with MakeMKV. That way you have 2D and 3D movie in same file taking up less space. Of course Xbmc should know how to display either of them correctly. A prompt when starting movie asking user which version he wants to play, would be nice.

I agree, this would be awesome
(2013-08-26, 00:10)SomeoneCares Wrote: I know that I can play 3D movies in XBMC specially with the latest nightly builds, however i am facing an issue when i have 2 files for the same movie, one in 3D and one for 2D HD,
currently I put them together under the same folder with .3d to distinguish the 3D version of the movie, however this results in duplicate posters under movies section, one for HD and one for 3D
what I am requesting is to have them both under the same movie poster in XBMC movies section, and being asked which version to play when I hit play the movie

Option 1 - Retain the 3D video file only and use the option 3D > 2D when you want to watch it in 2D. Obviously there will be some loss of quality if you are using half sbs or ou files.

Option 2 - Use a skin like Aeon Nox, create two smartplaylists one for 3d and the other for 2d. Add these playlists as home menu.
(2013-08-28, 16:50)baijuxavior Wrote:
(2013-08-26, 00:10)SomeoneCares Wrote: I know that I can play 3D movies in XBMC specially with the latest nightly builds, however i am facing an issue when i have 2 files for the same movie, one in 3D and one for 2D HD,

Option 1 - Retain the 3D video file only and use the option 3D > 2D when you want to watch it in 2D. Obviously there will be some loss of quality if you are using half sbs or ou files.

Option 2 - Use a skin like Aeon Nox, create two smartplaylists one for 3d and the other for 2d. Add these playlists as home menu.

Both these options will work; though the quality loss for SBS/HOU 3D files when played in 2D mode is dramatic (either vertical or horizontal resolution cut in half); and using smartplaylists isn't ideal since it still duplicates entries when viewing the 'full' list of movies.

ATM I rename my 3D entries by doing an 'Edit Title' on them and suffixing with '(3D)' so I can distinguish. It's not a very elegant solution (there're still duplicates, of course :-)

So a selector for when there's more than one version of the same video (like what plex does) is really the only really clean way to do this...

It'd also help tidying up TV Shows for users that have both HD and SD of the same episode (using the SD versions exclusively for iPad streaming, for example) rather than doubling up every episode in the list...

So another vote for the OP's suggestion :-)
This indeed would be great - basically grouping entries with the same IMDB ID and then adding a selection windows what "version to play" (3D, HD, SD). Plex has it implemented, so there may be code to borrow from?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-08-31, 01:38)steve1977 Wrote: This indeed would be great - basically grouping entries with the same IMDB ID and then adding a selection windows what "version to play" (3D, HD, SD). Plex has it implemented, so there may be code to borrow from?

It would indeed!
Unfortunately most of this logic (grouping, scraping, publishing) lies in PMS, which is closed source. That said, afaik the Plex implementation only differentiates between HD and SD; not 3D...
I think it can be very basic such as adding a suffix to the filename to indicate the type of video so it is easy for XBMC to recognize it, some media management software are already capable of doing that such as Media Center Master, I still think the naming conventions is a key in many of XBMC activities, what is required is the player selector and the skinners to avoid duplicates in posters .. this is just a thought, might be totally wrong Smile
Basically, the scenario is like this: you have a MKV with two video tracks or more. MediaPortal already has that feature. XBMC should give you a chance to choose whether you wanna watch in 2D or 3D. Why having two MKV files with different versions? It's pointless since you'll have 2 MKV files with 2 video tracks and 2 REPEATED audio tracks.We wanna use the same audio tracks but we wanna have different video tracks (2D,3D, HD, SD, whatever).

Smile
You are right that would be a good solution. Howver not sure that you can choose video track in xbmc. Nor am I sure that given the level of technical skill displayed here in general that you'd want to burden the support hassle of getting the education of how to do the required muxing done.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature request] 3D and HD play selector0